• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cincinnati Comic Expo 9/17/11 - Steranko, Guice, Delbo, Goldberg, Moore

142 posts in this topic

Stan-Goldberg-banner2.jpg

June 6th, 2011

The Cincinnati Comic Expo welcomes Stan Goldberg!

A legend with over 60 years in the Comic Book Business!

Stan Goldberg has been a comic book artist for over 60 years, having started his career (at age 16) in 1949 as a staff colorist for Timely (now known as Marvel) Comics. Two years later, Stan became the color department manager, and colored not just interiors, but also every cover the rest of the decade. In 1958, he went freelance but continued to color all Marvel comics until the mid-1960s. As "Stan G" he was the color designer for all classic Marvel super heroes and villains of the 1960's, including Spider-Man, The Fantastic Four, The X-Men, and The Hulk .

During the period from 1949 to the late 1960’s, Stan also illustrated horror stories, drew gag cartoons for men’s magazines, created a classic pop art billboard ("No Cal Soda"), and drew such titles for Marvel as Patsy Walker, My Girl Patsy, all the Millie the Model books, and several funny animal books. Being in the early 1960s, Stan started co-plotting his humor stories with Stan Lee, often writing entire plots for Lee.

In 1968, Stan left Marvel to freelance for other companies. For three years, he drew all the teen titles for DC Comics: Debbie, Scooter, and Binky. Stan also began a long association with Archie Comics, with his work appearing in most of the company’s titles at one time of another. From 1975 until 1980, he also drew the Sunday Archie newspaper strip. In the early 1990s, Stan drew the Riverdale characters for the Archie Meets the Punisher crossover between Archie and Marvel.

Stan’s other freelance work over the past 20 years has included penciling Captain Carrot for DC, drawing children's story and activity books for various publishers, illustrating various greeting cards, and doing magazine illustrations for National Lampoon, Child, Redbook, Seventeen, Ms., Working Woman,and many others.

Recently, Stan reflected on his Marvel work: "Those early days were exciting times. Little did we know we were producing heroes and villains that would become the superstars of the industry. I look back on that time and find myself very fortunate to have been involved."

Today, Stan Goldberg is currently working on many projects still manages to find time to do other freelance work.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Samples of Stan's work!

th_Stan18.jpgth_Stan16.jpgth_Stan15.jpgth_Stan14.jpgth_Stan13.jpgth_Stan12.jpgth_Stan11.jpgth_Stan10.jpg

th_Stan8.jpgth_Stan7.jpgth_Stan6.jpgth_Stan5.jpgth_Stan4.jpgth_Stan3.jpgth_Stan2.jpgth_Stan1.jpg

]th_Stan9.jpgth_Stan17.jpg

This morning I spoke with CGC about having them set up at the Expo to receive books and the ability for fans to obtain the Signature Series label. Once we have confirmation on a "yes" or "no" I will let everyone know.

I feel confident that Signature Series will get done at the show. Lots of opportunities and we still have a few more names to announce.

Will CGC be on site offering grading services by any chance and if they will be there will we have a chance to get books signed and slabbed as signature series books?

There will not be onsite grading at CCE. I am very confident that SS will be done at CCE.

Will CGC be on site offering grading services by any chance and if they will be there will we have a chance to get books signed and slabbed as signature series books?

There will not be onsite grading at CCE. I am very confident that SS will be done at CCE.

As Sean posted...No onsite grading. However, I do see sig series happening.

TIMELY ARTIST ALLEN BELLMAN RETURNS TO THE CINCINNATI COMIC EXPO!

We are excited to announce that Allen Bellman will be returning to the 2011 CCE!. Allen was born in Manhattan and studied at the High School of Industrial Arts. He eventually became a staff artist at Timely during the Golden Age of comics. While still a teenager, he did the backgrounds for Syd Shores' Captain America in 1942, and eventually worked on titles such as: The Patriot, The Destroyer, The Human Torch, Jap Buster Johnson and Jet Dixon of the Space Squadron, All Winners Comics, Marvel Mystery, Sub Mariner Comics, Young Allies and so much more. His self-created back-up crime feature Let's Play Detective. He also contributed to pre-Code horror, crime, war and western tales for Atlas.

He worked in the comics field until the early 1950s. After the publishing business Allen became a successful businessman, and after 18 years he moved down here to South Florida where he joined the art department of a major daily newspaper, The South Florida Sun-Sentinel. After that he went into photography. He won many nationwide photography contests, winning out more than 20,000 entries. Photography is the way he now creates. Hundreds of his photos have appeared in hardcover books, have been on exhibit in museums in Florida and received great reviews in numerous newspapers.

He still attends comic books shows, and is still available for commissions. In one of his most recent interviews in the Miami Herald, he was described as an artist who now paints with his camera. For more about Allen, please check out www.allenbellman.com.

This is last years promo poster drawn by Allen. He is currently working on another pin-up for us this year.

cincyposter3a.jpg

THOM ZAHLER TO ATTEND THE CCE!

A favorite of the CCE, Thom Zahler will be returning for 2011! Thom is the writer and artist of the super hero romantic comedy, Love and Capes. Since 2006, he’s chronicled the adventures in love of an ordinary bookstore owner and her accountant boyfriend… who also happens to be the superhero The Crusader.

The book has been hailed by fans and pros alike, including Mark Waid, Kurt Busiek, Gail Simone, Alan Davis and Tony Isabella. Love and Capes has been a four-time participant in Free Comic Book Day, and Thom was nominated for a Harvey Award for Best Cartoonist for his work on the series. After thirteen self-published issues, the book has moved to IDW Publishing.

He also works in comics as a colorist and letterer for companies like Claypool Comics, Lone Star Press and Sky Dog. He is currently lettering the Stan Lee-helmed “Guardian Project” for the National Hockey League.

For five years, he was the artist of the Slider comic strip for the Cleveland Indians. He continues to do illustration and cartooning for clients across the country, including Scene Magazine, Cleveland Magazine, and other clients across the country.

And, along with Bob Ingersoll, Thom also co-wrote a story for the Star Trek: The Next Generation short story collection, The Sky’s the Limit.

A relentless glory hound, he is also a recurring presence on Cleveland broadcast media, both television and radio. He also made the jump to the national spotlight as a contestant on the syndicated version of “Who Wants To Be a Millionaire?” where he won $32,000. He could have gone farther, but he didn’t know who Charles Goren was.

He is a graduate of the Joe Kubert School of Cartoon and Graphic Art and of Lake Catholic High School.

He lives at his palatial estate, Zahlerdu, in Northeast Ohio. Okay, he doesn’t really call it “Zahlerdu” but if he did, it’d be because he liked Orson Wells’ “Citizen Kane” and not that Olivia Newton John disco-and-roller skating movie. It’s not really a palatial estate, either, but it is a nice place.

“Love and Capes” is also available online at http://www.loveandcapes.com/. See more of Zahler's artwork at www.thomz.com. He also keeps a weblog at http://www.thomz.com/wordpress.

Love-Capes-Ever-After-1-01.jpg

The Cincinnati Comic Expo welcomes Craig Boldman!

Craig Boldman is the longtime writer of the Archie syndicated comic strip, which is currently being recognized on a U.S. postage stamp. Craig began work on the strip in 1992 in collaboration first with legendary cartoonist Dan DeCarlo, followed by Henry Scarpelli and currently Fernando Ruiz.

Craig has written over 100 consecutive issues of the Jughead comic book teamed with artist Rex Lindsey. The Jughead comic has been consistently recognized as a critical favorite of the Archie line. When not busy on the newspaper strip and Jughead, Craig also contributes stories for the rest of the Archie line of comic books.

Craig has written and drawn thousands of humor greeting cards for Hallmark, American Greetings, Gibson Greetings and other companies.

Craig's comic book work began in 1985, on a run of Superman stories for editor Julie Schwartz. Following that, he served as writer, inker and/or penciller on such characters as 'Mazing Man, Bugs Bunny, Disney's Doug, Disney's Recess, Ed Edd and Eddy, Bazooka Joe and others, including Alien Baby (for the Weekly World News tabloid); his co-creation Mr. Fixitt, and his ongoing webcomic, Tailipoe.

Craig spends an evening a week teaching cartooning at the Fitton Arts Center in Hamilton, OH, and has been the Chairperson of the Great Lakes Chapter of the National Cartoonists Society for the past six years.Check out his site today at http://www.craigboldman.com/

j196_500.jpg

The Expo Team will be at the Transformers screening tonight at the AMC located at Newport on the Levee. We will be handing out contest flyers and postcards. The Dawn Patrol (102.7FM) will giving a 2 minute talk about the Cincinnati Comic Expo to the crowd just before the movie starts. :banana:

Wonder Woman Artist Unveils Poster Design & Weighs In On Costume

by Matt Bredestege

Please note that this interview was conducted at the beginning of April 2011. Mr. Delbo’s answers do not reflect any possible changes to the Wonder Woman costume or TV show status since then.

Jose Delbo was one the first guest artists that the Cincinnati Comic Expo announced at the beginning of this year. We are honored to have someone of his history and caliber attending the show. Through the course of a couple of weeks, I was able to communicate with Jose and his vast history and how one of his best known works, Wonder Woman, has been leading the headlines with some thoughts and opinions on the new television outfit. But first, the Cincinnati Comic Expo is pleased to release its 2nd poster image, illustrated by Jose Delbo and sponsored by Antonelli College.

CinciCon2011_Delboversion5.jpg

The Cincinnati Comic Expo wants to use local landmarks in the poster designs. We have commissioned designs using Union Terminal, the Roebling Suspension Bridge, Fountain Square, and now a local amusement park. Andrew Satterfield, director of the Cincinnati Comic Expo, wanted to reach back into his childhood for one of the most perfect settings for this poster image. He thought back to the now extinct bat-type ride, from the 1980’s, at this park. He sent descriptions of the ride as well as some archive images of the ride and the iconic Eiffel Tower. Jose said, “Andrew suggested an idea involving Wonder Woman and a fight scene and then I

designed the poster. I drew Wonder Woman for many years so it wasn't hard

coming up with something for her to be doing.”

To know how Jose Delbo has gotten to where he is, let us go back to where he started. “I was 16 when I started drawing comic books in Argentina where I was born. I grew up with American comics that were being published in Argentinian magazines and I loved them,” Jose says. He was inspired by the American cowboy westerns, moved to the United States and began work on classics like Billy the Kid, Judge Colt, and the Lone Ranger. Over his career, Jose worked for many publishers and had many projects.

“In DC, I did Wonder Woman and most of the heroes of DC. For Marvel I did the Thunderats and the Transformers,” Delbo commented. Jose Delbo also penciled the published adventures of Superman, Batman, Aquaman, and Green Arrow. He was also responsible for the first issues of Captain Planet and the Planeteers and Brute Force. He has published illustrated comic books featuring some of our cultures most iconic women such as Raggedy Ann, Little Lulu, Barbie and Wonder Woman. In his time, Jose remembers, “I received more leeway working for Marvel because Marvel gave you just the plot instead of a full -script. That allowed me to be more creative.”

For a short period, Jose did comic strips. He did daily strips for Superman and the Phantom. For almost a year, Jose was a ghost artist for the Phantom. Comparing comic books to comics strips, Jose says, “They are two different things. It was much easier to do three panels then a full comic book.”

Jose Delbo was involved with the comic book adaption for many TV shows and movies. Jose made versions for cartoon classics like Disney's 101 Dalmations, Little Mermaid and the Mighty Ducks. He found making the adaption to be very fun and enjoyable. Jose said, “I had a lot of fun doing The Monkees. Besides The Monkees, the Beatles Yellow Submarine and definitely The Lone Ranger. I love westerns.” There were also versions for The Twilight Zone, The Brady Bunch, Hogan's Heroes, and Buck Rogers.

Eventually, Jose Delbo ended up at the Joe Kubert School of Cartoon and Graphic Arts. He taught the class in Basic Drawing. He was a member of the faculty with the likes of Joe Kubert, Hy Eisman, Irwin Hasen, Mike Chen, and Tex Blaisdell. He praises of the school, “The Joe Kubert School produced many great artists, a long list of great cartoonist. I really like the work of Lee Weeks -- he is a real talent. If you are interested in art, you live and breathe it. Constant practice is what it takes to become a great artist.” Jose left the school in 2005, when he moved to

Florida.

Currently, Jose is involved with where comics are going to be tomorrow and that the future of the medium has some competition. He is involved with his cartoon camp. He started a cartooning program for school-age children at the International Museum of Cartoon Art in Boca Raton, Florida, his current residence. The camp gives kids the opportunity to create their own comic books and make cartoon movies. Jose has also been attending comic conventions, such as the Cincinnati Comic Expo. “Lately I have been going to more conventions to keep mentally alive and because I am interested in seeing the new generation of fans and the news in the market place,” Jose explains. He further acknowledges comics have a hard time competing with today’s video games. “But I believe that reading and using your imagination is something that will endure forever.”

One of Jose’s works, Wonder Woman, was due to return to television on NBC this fall. He admits most superheroes will change and go through some stage of evolution. He is hoping that any portrayal of Wonder Woman leaves her “as a strong character and stay true or close to the original costume.” The Cincinnati Comic Expo sent photos of the costume for TV’s version of Wonder Woman to Jose. We asked if he thought the new design might be to DC changing the illustrated costume version last year or if television executives might interrupt the outfit differently in today’s society. The Cincinnati Comic Expo received this response from Jose Delbo, “I not sure that it's all about executives trying to make her look conservative, especially in today's world where there everything seems to

be permitted to be shown. I would prefer them to go back to swimsuit version as with this outfit she looks like a woman dressed up in blue pants and a bustier. She doesn't look like a superhero. I honestly don't see why she can't wear the cut-off or swimsuit version -- when you go to the beach nowadays you see women close to nude based on the bikini's they are wearing. Wonder Woman is certainly more covered up then they are in her traditional costume. You can give her knee high boots if you want but keep the traditional swimsuit. I still like the original costume.” Right before this article went to press, NBC had dropped the TV show, but it is not known at this time if another network may pick it up.

Jose Delbo can be seen at the Cincinnati Comic Expo at the Duke Energy Center on September 17, 2011. Jose says he does not do many commissions anymore, unless it is an interesting proposal. Jose can be reached through his website www.josedelbo.com.

All of the 2011 Cincinnati Comic Expo poster designs are being by sponsored by Antonelli College. “Antonelli College, a well-known member of the visual arts community in Cincinnati, Ohio since 1947, has held to the traditions of both quality teaching in the fields of visual arts and business and presenting students with the opportunity to develop their gifts and talents into professional skills.” More can be found out at http://www.antonellicollege.edu/.

Question about getting sigs from Jim Steranko, I have heard he will only sign stuff if he can also personalize it, is this true that you know of?

Also any idea what the chances are with having a VIP pass that Mr. Steranko for be willing to do a quick sketch of Captain America on the cover of the latest blank sketch comic from Marvel? Will to pay whatever the going rate or fee is and would really love something like that from him.

-Brendan

I believe that Steranko will sign without personalization for a fee of $5 or so. As for a sketch, there's just no way. He doesn't do convention sketches at all but will do commissions that start in the mid four figure range.

New additions in Red!

GUEST OF HONOR

Jim Steranko

FEATURED GUESTS

David Aikins

(Nickelodean Publishing Artist for Spongebob and Dora the Explorer)

Darryl Banks

(Green Lantern, Superman, Captain America, X-Men, Tomb Raider: Epiphany, GIJoe Reloaded)

David Michael Beck

(Marvel and DC cover artist)

Allen Bellman

(1940's Captain America artist)

Craig Boldman

(Writer for Archie Comics and the Archie syndicated comic strip)

Elizabeth Breitweiser

(Captain America)

Mitch Breitweiser

(Marvel Colorists on Captain America and Hulk)

Katie Cook

(Fraggle Rock, Star Wars)

Jose Delbo

(Wonder Woman, Superman, Batman, Aquaman, Green

Arrow, The Transformers and The Thundercats)

Stan Goldberg

(A legend with over 60 years in the Comic Book

Business most famous for his work with Archie Comics)

Jackson "Butch" Guice

(Micronauts, X-Factor, The Flash, Iron Man, Doctor Strange, Superman, Birds of Prey, Ruse, Captain America)

Mark Kidwell

(68, Frazetta Comics’ Dark Kingdom and Freedom)

Sean McKeever

Eisner Award Winner

(Fear Itself: Youth in Revolt, Onslaught Unleashed, Young Allies, Teen Titans)

Tony Moore

2x Eisner Award Nominee

(Venom, Walking Dead, Fear Agent)

Dara Naraghi

(Wrote New York Times Best Sellers, Witch & Wizard: Battle for Shadowland, and the Terminator Salvation official movie prequel, Ghostbusters)

Mike Norton

(Marvel's Fear Itself: Youth in Revolt, Young Justice, Battlepug, Runaways)

Stuart Sayger

(Hero Initiative 100-project, Machete, Deathship, LEGO Bionicle)

Luke Smarto

(Sketch card artist)

Chris Sprouse

2x Eisner Award Winner

(Tom Strong, Batman, Legionnaires, Star Wars: Splinter of the Mind's Eye, Supreme, Ocean)

J. David Spurlock

Eisner Award Nominee

(Eisner, Hugo, & Rondo Award Author - Art of Roy Krenkel; Life & Death of Wally Wood; Monster Art of Gogos)

Billy Tackett

(Zombie Sam, For Love of Monsters)

Michael Uslan

(Batman Movie Producer, Comic Book Historian and Writer)

Thomas Zahler

(Love and Capes)

ATTENDING CREATORS

Eric Adams

Cary Baker

John Barker

Eric Beebe

Andy Bennett

Josh Blair

Dawna Boehmer

Dustin Carson

Lee Chistopher

Victor Dandridge

Kurt Dinse

Kurt Einhaus

Bill Engebretson

Sean Forney

Jay Fosgitt

Tim Fuller

Daniel Frazier

Todd Goodman

William Grapes

Alex Heberling

Ricky Henry

Jackie Hernandez

Robert Hickey

Stephen Hines

Woodrow Hinton III

Terry Huddleston

Max Ink

Brandon Johnson

Matthew Kirscht

John Knifley

Aaron Lambert

Kevin Leen

Mark LeMieux

James Maddox

Mike Maydak

Paul McCall

Rick McCollum

Tina McElhinney

Ren McKinzie

Kevin Meinert

Tony Miello

Kenn Minter

Darren Mueller

Krista Mueller

Bruces O'Hughes

Willie Peppers

Brett Pinson

Chris Pritchard

Cindy Ramey

Scott DM Simmons

Joe Slucher

Uko Smith

Jamie Snell

Jenny Stead

Scott Story

Dan Taylor

Brett Wood

Jesse Wright

Justin Wasson

July 22, 2011

FRIDAY UPDATE

MORE COMIC CREATOR ADDITIONS

The Cincinnati Comic Expo welcomes the talents of Tim Fuller, Tony Miello, Bruce O. Hughes and Justin Wasson. To get the full scoop on these fine creators view their bios here.

CINCINNATI COMIC EXPO IN THE NEWS

Fox19

The media blitz for the 2011 CCE picked up steam today. Here is the first posting/report to come out. Click here to view

The Break-Ins

In addition to the above article Justin Wasson and Bruce O'Hughes mention the Cincinnati Comic Expo throughout their latest Break-Ins podcast (Episode #23). The show is always a laugh and has too many good points to pick out and list for you. However, the commercial/song for the Cincinnati Comic Expo is soo awesome. Thanks guys in showing your support. Episode #23 of The Break-Ins can be heard here.

This is a reminder...if you blog or post about the Cincinnati Comic Expo , let us know and we can link it to share with everyone.

CONTEST

Captain America Movie Review Contest for 4 Tickets to the 2011 Cincinnati Comic Expo

It is time for another opportunity to win tickets to the 2011 Cincinnati Comic Expo. You just have to take abit of time to write a movie review for Captain America. Please note, the rules are different from the Transformers movie review contest. The winner of this contest will receive 4 regular admisison passes to the show, valued at $40.

The contest opens tonight and closes at Noon (EST) on Monday, 8/1/11, so there is plenty of time to see the movie.

Here is what you need to do:

1) Go see Captain America!

2) Add your review of the movie as a comment under our Facebook contest

thread - Click here.

). Please NO SPOILERS!

3) Then have yourself and friends come to the "Note" and "Like" your review. The person with the most "likes" by the close of the contest wins!

There is no closing of reviews before voting begins, so you could write a review that last weekend and solicit enough votes by Monday.

Good luck!

Have a great weekend and only 57 days to the Cincinnati Comic Expo!