• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cincinnati Comic Expo 9/17/11 - Steranko, Guice, Delbo, Goldberg, Moore

142 posts in this topic

this will be my 2nd year setting up at the Cincy Comic Expo, had a fun time last year although I wasn't well prepared for it, didn't bring a whole lot of my stuff, this year I am better prepared and ready, have a buddy helping me, here's what I will have at the show:

CGC GA Actions

CGC GA Detectives

Original owner collection of mid-50s to early 60s DC silver age.

$3 and $5 trades

Neal Adams Bronze Bats/Supes books.

a few original art pages.

plus .25 cent .50 cent and even 0.10 cent boxes, (I know, crazy right?)

and a few key books: Amazing Fantasy 15, Conan #1, Superboy #68, etc.

very excited to see everyone, stop on by and say hi. :hi:

my booth number is 89, look for this sign.

AltonSign1.jpg

Very cool, Alton. Good luck with the sales.

this will be my 2nd year setting up at the Cincy Comic Expo, had a fun time last year although I wasn't well prepared for it, didn't bring a whole lot of my stuff, this year I am better prepared and ready, have a buddy helping me, here's what I will have at the show:

CGC GA Actions

CGC GA Detectives

Original owner collection of mid-50s to early 60s DC silver age.

$3 and $5 trades

Neal Adams Bronze Bats/Supes books.

a few original art pages.

plus .25 cent .50 cent and even 0.10 cent boxes, (I know, crazy right?)

and a few key books: Amazing Fantasy 15, Conan #1, Superboy #68, etc.

very excited to see everyone, stop on by and say hi. :hi:

my booth number is 89, look for this sign.

AltonSign1.jpg

Very cool, Alton. Good luck with the sales.

thanks Mike, that means alot coming from you. :grin:

Just got back from the show, enjoyed meeting fellow members Chunkybutt, Sean, GACollectibles, Pirate, Fred and a couple other members that I am forgetting.

I just want to say thank you again to Andrew and Sean for all the help with getting stuff witnessed for sig series and with processing my first sub to CGC. Thanks again!

Looking forward to getting my stuff back from CGC, including sketches from Mark Kidwell, Allen Bellman ($65 for a sketch was the steal of the show) and Justin Wasson.

Now off to get this damn cracked wisdom tooth pulled.

Got back a little while ago. Like last year, it was a good show. Lots of artists, decent crowd, good venue. Saw Pirate, Seanfingh and GACollectibles. I probably saw others but didn't recognize them. I saw Sean working his tail off with Jim Steranko,by blow-drying his signature. The mental image is probably worth more than a real photo so I'll let you imagine how it looked.

The biggest dealer was Comic Book World who had a HUGE spread right inside the front door. Lots of $1 books plus their usual convention stock. They seemed to have a lot of customers.

Dave Kapelka was there with a lot of SA and BA and a smaller selection of exceptional GA books. If you are into Boy Comics, you probably want to talk to him, he had 20+ immaculate issues with him, 9.0 to 9.6 from my quick look. I picked up a Black Cat 11, Famous Funnies 18, and a few beautiful pre-code horrors.

The show's still not big enough for a full weekend but another year like this and it might start to attract enough to make a Sunday worthwhile.

The show was fantastic. On the creator side, Jim Steranko, Jose Delbo, Allen Bellman and Stan Goldberg, in particular, were among the most congenial ambassadors of comic fandom I have ever met. Steranko had a line of ten to twenty people all day long. He never even took a a break to eat, and had friendly words and a grip that could crack a walnut for each and every fan.

Dave Spurlock did an amazing job of keeping the Steranko line moving, overseeing the sales of books and posters, and helping me do a couple dozen SS books.

I have no pictures to show and no tales of great scores from longbox diving because i was hustling pretty good doing prep work in the morning and getting sigs and sketches in the afternoon.

There is such a great vibe at this show. It is one of my favorites. It was great to see everyone at the show, even though i didn't have a ton of time to kibbutz. We did real close to a hundred SS which is pretty good for a one day show. Can't wait until next year!

little late getting this report in, this was my second year setting up at the Cincy comic expo and my goal/expectation was to break last years sales record, which I did, so I am happy, I felt the crowd was about the same as last year, brisk but not shoulder to shoulder, last year the majority of my sales came from the original owner DC silver age collection that I had aquired, but this year I sold a little bit of everything instead of 90% of one thing.

here are some of my sales for the day.

Batman #227 VG $30

Batman #232 VG- $40

Vengeance of Bane #1 (one mint copy and one beater reader) $50 for the pair.

Superman #62 VG+ (Orson Welles cover) $200

an Original Art piece $20

2 show programs from last years convention $10

3 10 cent SA DCs, one was Congo Bill #4 the other two were Batman and Superman but I can't remember which issues. all 3 sold to a dealer for $100

plus sold a few trades for $5 each, and a whole mess of .25 cent .50 cent and dollar box comics.

had a guy really interested in my CGC 4.5 Action #44, but we couldn't agree on price, but honestly, I don't think you need to discount a nice GA Action war cover.

as a side note I had sold through eBay a CGC 5.0 Detective Comics #69 for $1,300 just days before the show, I had it on display at the show but with a SOLD!! sticker on it.

I can't tell you how many 18-24 year olds wanted to have their picture taken holding the Amazing Fantasy 15 that I had at the show. reminds me of when most of us around here get to hold an Action #1 at other cons and we want our picture taken with it.

Dave Kapelka was set up right next to me and he has some amazing books, I saw a nice GA Captain Marvel book he had that was the Mile High copy for $700, I was giving that one some serious consideration, as well as some of his EC comics.

all in all a good show, wish it was a two day show, but we shall see. :)

here are a few pics from the show.

picture of my setup with my buddy/band mate Phil who helped me man the table.

cincomicexpo005-1.jpg

Phil with a costumed customer.

cincomicexpo001-1.jpg

me with Wonder Woman.

cincomicexpo004.jpg

Show was awesome in my opinion.

I did not make any major purchases. :sorry: I could not decide on what I wanted.

The books I seen I needed for my runs were either uber high grade or too low of a grade for me.

So instead I bought a sketch from Bellman. I was late to his table. I had no idea he had sketch cover blanks already done pre show. He said he was selling them for $65!!!!! :frustrated:

I would have bought them all if they looked half as good as the sketch I bought.

I did get alot of filler books for $2 each from "Comics 4 Less". Seems like they are my first stop at every show as their inventory is always replenished, books are always in new bags and boards and to this date I have never gotten home to discover any of the books had hidden flaws.

This was my fourth convention and it is definitely one of my favorites. Everything from the website letting me know some of the comic the talent had worked on to the size of the venue and layout were great. 10's across the board to all those involved.

I arrived early and dropped off all my books for signing with Andrew and Sean (A+ for them putting the Signature Series together). With that out of the way a quick twice over of the floor, I didn't end up buying any comics as I spent all my money on sketches/artwork.

Mistakenly I thought Tony Moore would be doing sketch cards (he did not) so I ended up being able to get the only one he had brought with him.

Chris Sprouse was in the hallway with a decent sized group of 3-5 around him for the entire time I was there. He had some pages from the first issue of 'Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne' I picked up 2 from him. The pages were only $40 a piece which I was really happy about. I would have picked up the other two as well but I didn't have that much cash left with me.

With a black Amazing Spider-Man I purchased from comicalgems I had Stuart Sayger do a quick Spiderman with the World Trace Center in the background.

Also, I had a great time meeting everyone from the boards. I hope I get to see and talk to you all again soon.

With all that being said, I can't wait to go back next year.