• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,920 posts in this topic

Monsters on the Prowl 10 4/71 Marvel Comics Universal 9.4 OFF-WHITE

Monsters on the Prowl 11 6/71 Marvel Comics Universal 9.4 WHITE

Monsters on the Prowl 15 2/72 Marvel Comics Universal 9.6 WHITE

Monsters on the Prowl 24 8/73 Marvel Comics Universal 9.6 WHITE

Monsters on the Prowl 28 6/74 Marvel Comics Universal 9.6 WHITE

Where Creatures Roam 5 3/71 Marvel Comics Universal 9.6 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE

Where Creatures Roam 7 7/71 Marvel Comics Universal 9.2 WHITE

Where Creatures Roam 8 9/71 Marvel Comics Universal 9.4 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE

Creatures on the Loose 17 5/72 Marvel Comics Universal 9.4 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE

I'm curious as to your thoughts on this title; it was a pretty common horror anthology title for the time. Most people here think it was tertiary (behind HOM and HOS) in terms of quality.

Unfortunately, "anthologies" are a dirty word these days. House of Mystery is a reboot title but it's more of an ongoing story line. If you love zombies, "Zombie Tales" was a short-lived anthology series. "Walking Dead" imho is the best "horror" title out today, although it's more akin to an ongoing survival battle Romero style.

witching hour rocked. :headbang: There was something about just about any horror title frequented by nick cardy work that was superb. Same type of stories as HOM, HOS, but think about some of the early issues; adams, toth, just a great title all around. I think one of the reasons I gravitated to say witching hour over ghosts as mentioned before, was that ghosts was just too much of the same theme over and over. Not as much creative variety in themes as the other big three.

b8ptw8.jpg

P.S. congrat Joeypost great haul!

Monsters on the Prowl 10 4/71 Marvel Comics Universal 9.4 OFF-WHITE

Monsters on the Prowl 11 6/71 Marvel Comics Universal 9.4 WHITE

Monsters on the Prowl 15 2/72 Marvel Comics Universal 9.6 WHITE

Monsters on the Prowl 24 8/73 Marvel Comics Universal 9.6 WHITE

Monsters on the Prowl 28 6/74 Marvel Comics Universal 9.6 WHITE

Where Creatures Roam 5 3/71 Marvel Comics Universal 9.6 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE

Where Creatures Roam 7 7/71 Marvel Comics Universal 9.2 WHITE

Where Creatures Roam 8 9/71 Marvel Comics Universal 9.4 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE

Creatures on the Loose 17 5/72 Marvel Comics Universal 9.4 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE

Nice haul Joey! Let me know when you get ready to sell them. :whistle:

Edited by shark2557

I don't have GPA anymore, but a few years ago a 9.4 of that was going for around $350. $425 would be as much as I would spend on it nowadays. The price they are asking would be fair for a 9.6 imho.

I had a spare copy a few years ago; wish I could've hooked you up with my spare.

That is tough, but I love high grade restored books with a small CT. Structurally they are amazing and the small CT brings the price down. Of course being PRE-informed of the CT is a must! So - despite the CT, I love that book.

I'm curious - is that your copy - do you know the history of it?

THX for posting it.

That is tough, but I love high grade restored books with a small CT. Structurally they are amazing and the small CT brings the price down. Of course being PRE-informed of the CT is a must! So - despite the CT, I love that book.

I'm curious - is that your copy - do you know the history of it?

THX for posting it.

It is a book I bought at a small con in Charlotte this spring. I know nothing about it. I bought 3 books from the same guy, this one a HoM 180 (came back 9.6) and 186 (came back 9.0).

It was my first con in.....5 years?

I am going to try to sell it, my hope was for a un-restored 9.4, the reality is obvious.

It is a book I bought at a small con in Charlotte this spring. I know nothing about it. I bought 3 books from the same guy, this one a HoM 180 (came back 9.6) and 186 (came back 9.0).

It was my first con in.....5 years?

I am going to try to sell it, my hope was for a un-restored 9.4, the reality is obvious.

Dang - I am very sorry that you were the one to find out about the CT. :sorry:

Congrats on the other two books, though - those are awesome. I love the covers on both (sweet, sweet Adams!).

Let us horror fans know when you decide to sell it - I am very curious about what the market might command for the copy...

this is horror in sooo many ways......

HouseofMystery174CGC96WPRestored.jpg

:mad::cry::(

Since this book came back in such a high grade, with a "P" designation, the color touch is more than likely of the acrylic nature. That will be a good thing as far at CT is concerned. You should send the book to Matt Nelson and have him check it out. If the CT is only a fleck or two, it is a good chance that it can be removed and the book only drop a grade, but come back in a blue holder. I would seriously consider having the CT removed if I were you. At least have it checked out to see what your options might be. You might be surprised.

this is horror in sooo many ways......

HouseofMystery174CGC96WPRestored.jpg

:mad::cry::(

Since this book came back in such a high grade, with a "P" designation, the color touch is more than likely of the acrylic nature. That will be a good thing as far at CT is concerned. You should send the book to Matt Nelson and have him check it out. If the CT is only a fleck or two, it is a good chance that it can be removed and the book only drop a grade, but come back in a blue holder. I would seriously consider having the CT removed if I were you. At least have it checked out to see what your options might be. You might be surprised.

he was the first guy I called. (thumbs u

I know it is hard to tell in the holder, but can you discern where the CT is?

What did Matt say?

I think I can see one area. It is in two places per CGC grading notes (left lower spine and right lower corner). If it were one place or a timy dot then Matt said should be good to do it. But with two spots, Matt said that might be too much to remove without affecting the grade alot. If it is removed and the grade is say a 9.0, then what has more value? A blue label 9.0/9.2 vs a purple 9.6?

Not sure what to do. I bought it to sell but not sure how to proceed with this Purple label issue.

What did Matt say?

I think I can see one area. It is in two places per CGC grading notes (left lower spine and right lower corner). If it were one place or a timy dot then Matt said should be good to do it. But with two spots, Matt said that might be too much to remove without affecting the grade alot. If it is removed and the grade is say a 9.0, then what has more value? A blue label 9.0/9.2 vs a purple 9.6?

Not sure what to do. I bought it to sell but not sure how to proceed with this Purple label issue.

This is a conundrum to be sure. If you crack it out and have the CT removed, then the grade might take a hit to 9.0. Still a gorgeous book. However, if you are looking to sell it ( I assume graded), then you have the fee to get it re-graded.

Costs to you----Freight/insurance to Matt Nelson, Cost to have the CT removed, Freight back to you from Matt, Freight to CGC to have it re-graded, Re-grading fee, Freight back to you from CGC. That is alot of money to recoup, especially if the book drops to a 9.0 after the CT removal. My advice is to sell it as a CGC 9.6 purple.

A Damned if you do, Damned if you don't if there ever was one.

Sorry brother.

What did Matt say?

This is a conundrum to be sure. If you crack it out and have the CT removed, then the grade might take a hit to 9.0. Still a gorgeous book. However, if you are looking to sell it ( I assume graded), then you have the fee to get it re-graded.

Costs to you----Freight/insurance to Matt Nelson, Cost to have the CT removed, Freight back to you from Matt, Freight to CGC to have it re-graded, Re-grading fee, Freight back to you from CGC. That is alot of money to recoup, especially if the book drops to a 9.0 after the CT removal. My advice is to sell it as a CGC 9.6 purple.

Sorry brother.

Leave it just as it is: a great high grade book with very minor CT. Don't do anything else with it. The money you spend trying to fix it & regrade it + the resulting downgrade from the fix attempt will result in a very large loss.

What did Matt say?

Sorry brother.

Leave it just as it is: a great high grade book with very minor CT. Don't do anything else with it. The money you spend trying to fix it & regrade it + the resulting downgrade from the fix attempt will result in a very large loss.

I think that is the conclusion I came to. It is a gorgeous book, WP, sweet: just purple. I put it on CLink for a high price to see if there is any level of interest. I wont feel bad keeping it or selling it for the "right" price. As always, I will see what the free market says.

Thanks for the support.