• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,917 posts in this topic

Great Stuff Greggy! How are the stories? The Charlton stories are pretty....um......bad. I've never read DC horror.
I haven't read this issues in quite a while. Some of the later issues are probably better. Shivs would be a better person to ask about the story content. I tend to read them once I buy them and never again! foreheadslap.gif

HOLY CARP GREGGY! I didn't know you had all of them that nice foreheadslap.gif i feel dizzy.....

Redhook - it completely depends on the individual issues. Most of the best stories are by Michael Fleisher & Jack Oleck in House of Mystery, but each title has scattered great stories. Charlton except for their peak years of 73-75 are really bad....

I sense that Marvel horror is getting disrespected a bit (not that they don't deserve it).... smirk.gif

Werewolf By Night #3 Ploog Art

wbn3.jpg

Werewolf By Night #4 Ploog Art

wbn4.jpg

Chamber of Chills #4 Brunner Art

chamber4.jpg

Jim

nice Witching Hours greggy. Those 20centers are tough to find in good shape in my neighborhood...

redhook, IMHO, DC horror books are 'da best'. As shiv said, the quality of the stories depend on a number of factors. House of Mystery tended to have the better stories overall--some of the short lived bronze age titles were good but fell in the "me too" category.

Let's take a break from the covers a bit and let's give some of the forum members some stories that you think were of excellent quality. Shiver talked about the evil Easter Rabbit in an Unexpected issue a while back...

One of my favorite stories I remember include a man taking a pact with the devil to not let the sun go down (I forgot the reason why). Anyway, the town goes nuts and eventually kills the bloke, and the sun finally goes down....and never has it risen since. I think this is in HOM 282--could someone verify? Totally out of memory...There's a bit more to the story but that's all I remember...

Anyone else have a good "devil deal gone bad" story?

...And what the heck was DC trying to do in House of Secrets #140 with the "Patchwork Man"--trying to spin off a new series?!?

Actually yeah, it would be great to get some specific recommendations regarding issues with good stories. If I read another Joe Gill story this week my head will explode. 27_laughing.gif

(Hmmmm, interesting comic book horror plot possiblity right there......reading comic........head...explodes.......ok, guys, I'll get back to you!)

By the way, Shiver, is your site going to be based on your personal collection or will you attempt to make it more all-encompassing? I swear, between the folks on the board, we could launch the best ever Bronze Horror site!

Let's take a break from the covers a bit and let's give some of the forum members some stories that you think were of excellent quality. Shiver talked about the evil Easter Rabbit in an Unexpected issue a while back...

I've talked before about the Jack Oleck / Wally Wood story "The Monster" in HoS 96. Good creepy stuff for a 10 year old to read! thumbsup2.gifinsane.gif

...And what the heck was DC trying to do in House of Secrets #140 with the "Patchwork Man"--trying to spin off a new series?!?

Yup. That was an attempted spin-off from (the original Wein-Wrightson) Swamp Thing #3-- the Patchworkman was their Frankenstein monster homage created by Arcane. Patchworkman was also the father of one of the major Swamp Thing supporting characters (only a spoiler if ya never read the 1973 series! gossip.gif)

Hey Redhook - my site is at this point my personal collection, but in that i am only short about 30 DC comics to have every horror comic from every title from 1968-1983. I assume even by the end of summer at the latest, all will be accounted for. When it gets to Charlton i am maybe 40%, and worse for Marvel , GK & others. I will certainly need help as it unfolds thumbsup2.gif

Gernerally what i have been doing is picturing a thumbnail with a link to a full size scan, with creator credits next to it, as well as notes as to whether or not that issue stands out for content. There are also general notes with each title about which issues are content stand outs or tougher to find.

off of the top of my head HOM#186, 207, 221 are all perfection cover to cover. #261 has some nice stories in it as well. When i get a chance i'll dig more up!

I second HOS96 its brilliant for that story Zonker pointed out. A later issue of HOM (310ish) did a twist on that which was also very entertaining. I'll pin the number down for sure.

ok, here is what i am still missing to have complete DC horror. Excluded are Phantom Stranger, Plop & Weird Western. Eventually they too will be included because they are at least half horror. Phantom Stranger is even more so, i just am missing a ton of them sorry.gif

DC 100 page super spectacular #4

DC Special #4

Forbidden Tales of Dark Mansion #10, 11, 12

Ghosts #36, 65

House of Secrets #133, 137

Secrets of Haunted House #3,7,12,13,24,25,28,29, 30, 33-35, 38, 43,45

Secrets of Sinister House #5, 7, 11

Tales of Ghost Castle #1, 2

Weird Mystery tales #23

Weird War #36, 44, 45, 47, 78, 117

Witching Hour #27, 31, 34, 36, 50, 54, 56

and the 2 Ghosts Digests

so its actually 44 issues. I always put off the SOHH because i didn't think i liked them as much, but i REALLY like the ones i have, the 2 DC #4's, Weird War #36, 44, 45 , 47 & 117 are the only ones i actually have trouble finding, the rest i just haven't gotten yet

Put me down for:

Ghosts #36, 65

House of Secrets #133, 137

Secrets of Haunted House #7,12,28,30, 33,34,45

Witching Hour 31, 34, 50, 54, 56

I have some of the Forbidden Tales on your list but they are at CGC now sorry.gif

I may have some Weird War Tales on your list but I need to look. Subject to me actually FINDING them. I'll PM to make sure it is in the next shipment to ya.

477677-WH36.jpg

Great cover! This is one that gave me a nightmare as a kid! Nice grouping Greggy!

Redhook love those Ditko Charltons!

This is the best thread in the Bronze section DEFINITLY! thumbsup2.gif

477686-WH43.jpg

I love this cover, and its among the more difficult to locate. Is the devil "flashing" those people 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893whatthe.gif

Well....this book was the only book other than the 100 pager that was missing when I bought the lot intact at the store where most of my bronze 20 centers were bought! cloud9.gif