• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,917 posts in this topic

Hi Sid,

Don't feel bad. I would NEVER try to make the case that Charltons compare to DCs or Marvels. That wasn't my intent. I suspect Shiver agrees. They can be pretty cheesy. The QP is basically non-existant. But consider them cult-comics. And I am truely fascinated by their place in the Steve Ditko ouevre............plus, they just have that Bizarro World - Something's-Off-Here quality. Sometimes cheesy and camp can be fun.

But I would never try to convince you they outrank the other lines.

off of the top of my head HOM#186, 207, 221 are all perfection cover to cover. #261 has some nice stories in it as well. When i get a chance i'll dig more up!

I second HOS96 its brilliant for that story Zonker pointed out. A later issue of HOM (310ish) did a twist on that which was also very entertaining. I'll pin the number down for sure.

A couple more worth mention... House of Mystery 199 has the EC-esque " 'Sno Fun" by Wally Wood, and HoM 201 has the ACBA Award winning short "The Demon Within," (art by Jim Aparo).

Hey Sterling, how are you going to control your spending with all those Oakland DC horror books at the Vault auctions? smirk.gif

Relax....I actually not going after any of the slabbed copies. Going after some raw issues and some of the other collectibles stuff. Other auctions have higher priority at this time! laugh.gif

there is a lot of cool stuff up there for sure. BTW, today I actually visited my local LCS for the FIRST TIME 893whatthe.gif. 80% or more were 1980s or newer...and what silver/bronze age they had were about midgrade...but the boards and bags were nicely priced! laugh.gif

"Heroes Aren't Hard to Find"

AND NO MYSTERY BOOKS.... 893frustrated.gif

..should've named their store to-

"Heroes Aren't Hard to Find...but Mystery Books Are..."

foreheadslap.gif

Actually, I met Phil--very nice guy. I will definitely be a regular there at least once a month or so---and there's a StarSchmucks next door... MMMMM Coffee....

BTW, Greggy, what could POSSIBLY have more priority than mystery books?!?

Thanks, ever since I hesitated on a mid-grade Young Love 69 with a BIN of around $65 many years ago (auction ended at over $90 foreheadslap.gif), I've been looking for a reasonably priced copy. Actually, the bigger deal was for the Young Romance 154 that has the uncredited Neal Adams cover for less than $13. Nope, I don't need slabbed copies of the DC horror. Have most of them in high grade. Anyways, the Vault auction is structured in a way that it can result in very high prices paid for books due to their automatic auction extension.

Well, I have the Secrets of Sinister House #5 in 9.2 of the 3 that have

been graded.

I thought I would strongly go after the 9.4.

And the Witching Hour 9.6 looks great as well as the HOS.

grider67 grin.gif

I see you have placed your markers in another auction. I wonder which ones you really want.......... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You know, you have single-handedly prevented me from adding over 50 DC 100 pagers to my collection over the last couple of years 893frustrated.gif

I guess my wife's happy about it.....less money spent laugh.gif