• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,920 posts in this topic

i remember an article by tony starks hyping the book around that time, maybe 1994. I was actively searching for that book in the late 80's and only ever found 1 copy. it was a good but i paid $3 for it! The only other comic that hard back then was dc 100 page giant #4, same story, best i ever found was a good, and i paid about $5 for it.

it still blows my mind that a title with art by Frank Miller & Marshall Rogers along with countless others would be kicked aside like that. It was in previous guides. And now even still, there is no artists note following the listing confused-smiley-013.gif

Hell it's still that way with many titles. Unless there is demand for the issues, OS doesn't go the extra mile to update their list. Which makes sense actually. The fact it was associated with the War genre didn't help to separate it either.

Jim

it still blows my mind that a title with art by Frank Miller & Marshall Rogers along with countless others would be kicked aside like that. It was in previous guides. And now even still, there is no artists note following the listing confused-smiley-013.gif

What issues did Rogers do? confused-smiley-013.gif

Wow, very interesting!

Wow, anyone looked at valiantman's census New Highest yet?

A few horror comics have got new top census books, but the one that impressed me the most is Ghosts 112 it has gone from 9.6 to 10.0 893whatthe.gif

What do you think that would fetch on the market?

You just summarized the paradox of low guide prices vs. high. When books are ridiculously

undervalued (mid 1990s 100 page SS's 4 and 6 in NM at $5 apiece) you can't take advantage of it

because it isn't worth anyone's while to bring them out. I'm still searching for NM copies of the first

5 World's Finest Dollar issues. They're just too cheap for people to bother with.

Once things shoot up in price, they're all over the place at nosebleed prices 893frustrated.gif

Could it be because it was a crossover genre, War/Horror? Maybe no one knew how to classify it and it simply fell through the cracks. I was drawn to it as a horror title myself having WEIRD being the first and prominent word in the title! Still one of my favorites along with HOM, HOS, WMT, WH, Unexpected & Ghosts. thumbsup2.gif

You just summarized the paradox of low guide prices vs. high. When books are ridiculously

undervalued (mid 1990s 100 page SS's 4 and 6 in NM at $5 apiece) you can't take advantage of it

because it isn't worth anyone's while to bring them out. I'm still searching for NM copies of the first

5 World's Finest Dollar issues. They're just too cheap for people to bother with.

Once things shoot up in price, they're all over the place at nosebleed prices 893frustrated.gif

That's why it pays to go to the big and small cons and look through the 25 cent and one dollar boxes. These are the places that sellers do bother to carry these currently "cheapo" books. Either that or in large lots that people are selling on Ebay. I think it is well worth it to buy a lot of maybe 50 to 100 books if there are maybe 5-10 that you actually need. Pick out your copies and resell the rest in smaller quantities. Often this method can allow the comics you pulled out to keep to pay for themselves.

In related news, just think about all those dollar box Predator/Aliens comics that we used to always see. Pretty soon you'll see these things coming out into the limelight and temporarily at least they will rocket in price for the better issues. Hell, I've already got three slabbed and waiting for the hype to begin. ----Sid

Yep! A lot of the time it's the "cheapies" that are the toughest to find cause there's no demand...yet.

Yup, I'm with ya! Dealers won't bring this stuff out sometimes if they think there's no demand for it. Hell, just in 2003 I scored over 40 issues of Marvel bronze horror at $1 each at a con; and the dealer said "I almost didn't even bring them because I didn't think they would sell!" That's how it goes.

Also, I remember the days.... not too long ago in fact... when dealers and collectors both underestimated the potential collectability (sp?) of 90% of the BRONZE AGE output. NOW look at the prices!!!! I KNOW that one day people (maybe 10 years from now, maybe more or less!) will be throwing wads of green at that "elusive" Bruce Jones TWISTED TALES by Pacific; or DEATH RATTLE or TALES OF TERROR. It's only a matter of time, folks..........

The Ghosts 112 sold for 199.99

I just can't believe these speculators! Imagine paying nearly $200 big ones for an CGC 10.0 all the way from 1982. Could have made a much better investment by paying 4 to 6 times more for a rare CGC 10.0 right off the newsstand from 2004. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I just can't believe these speculators! Imagine paying nearly $200 big ones for an CGC 10.0 all the way from 1982. Could have made a much better investment by paying 4 to 6 times more for a rare CGC 10.0 right off the newsstand from 2004. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Lou,

The Ghosts was purchased by a board member who happens to like and collect 10.0 books--and he likes the genre. He didn't buy it for the "investment" value--that's what he likes. Although I don't agree with the price paid relative to the whopping OS guide of $5--the last issue is somewhat elusive in terms of availability and high grade. In other words, to each their own. I mean--he could've done much worse--like a 10.0 UFF for $500 that went very recently. And the seller set the reserve for $200-there really wasn't a bidding war past $100.

Lou,

The Ghosts was purchased by a board member who happens to like and collect 10.0 books--and he likes the genre. He didn't buy it for the "investment" value--that's what he likes. Although I don't agree with the price paid relative to the whopping OS guide of $5--the last issue is somewhat elusive in terms of availability and high grade. In other words, to each their own. I mean--he could've done much worse--like a 10.0 UFF for $500 that went very recently. And the seller set the reserve for $200-there really wasn't a bidding war past $100.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif, didn't the UFF 1 10.0 go for $800? confused.gif

Lou,

Sterling;

I believe you missed my point here. I was trying to be sarcastic here since there appears to be a lot of new speculators paying outragous amounts of money (eg. > $1K) for brand new 10.0's right off the newsstand which has nowhere to go but down. Yet, at the same time, beautiful CGC 10.0's from 1982 are available at only $200 which in my mind is a much better buy in both the short-term and long-term.