• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,920 posts in this topic

its that wonderful coloring if you ask me. DC was very experimental in the late 12¢ & 15¢ cover books. Lots of brown, green, pink, grey and areas of hazy colors as well as bright contrasts. I love em! I used to discriminate against later ones myslef, bu tthen i noticed they have a wonderful charm of their own. Even a book printed in 1983 is completely alien to anything being done today!

I think that is it exactly. In 1968-1971, you have Neal Adams doing most of the covers, and we know from various interviews that Adams was coloring lots of the covers he drew, experimenting with new printing technologies as to color, etc. Very subtle colors and often rich color gradients. By the time of the 20 cent issues, Nick Cardy was doing most of DC's covers, and I'm not sure how involved Cardy was in the coloring process. Now I love Cardy, but he's very much a 'slick' comic-book artist, certainly doesn't aspire to be a photo-realist like Adams. Cardy is kind of Romita to Adams' Ditko (though the Adams=Ditko part of the analogy is terrible , I'll admit).

And maybe that explains why I agree with POV, the 20 centers, i.e. the Cardy covers, really grab you in high grade: you want to see those day-glo colors at their peak.

Was there an artist or artists that really started the 70's DC BA Horror "look"???

Let's not forget the Jack Adler influence. Highly influential, IMO.

Also, can't deny the Neil Adams style which defined DC BA horror early on.

(should I dredge up the HoM 174 cover controversy again?! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif)

insane.gif

Hi guys. I thought you may all be interested in a more detailed Chicago con market report from the Bronze horror perspective. I also just received an order from Mile High that I'll go over as well.

First off, I want to mention that the San Diego show was MUCH better for buying Bronze horror, or any Bronze in general. Simply put, more dealers and larger dealers. Chicago was tiny by comparison and I had the time in three days to visit each dealer at least five times. In San Diego, in 4 1/2 days I seemed to always be running into another dealer that I had missed before, although I went back to the larger dealers many times there as well.

OK, as mentioned in my overall Chicago report in the Comics General area, there appeared to be many more early 70s books than late 70s. I could speculate on the reasons for this, but anybody can just as easily. I have no answers. And this accounted for Marvel as well. Sure, the cheapo boxes and blowout dealers were stuffed with all kinds of low and midgrade copies of everything, but for this report, I'll be concentrating on higher grades. To me this would be around 8.5 and up. I will also say that there was huge variance in prices. Some dealers are very well organized and have each and every comic inside a perfectly new looking mylar with one or two stiff boards. Others just had their books in old yellowing bags with dented boards, and of course we saw everything in between. The guys with the mylars, as you can guess, usually had higher prices and less discounts. But don't pass up the sloppy dealers. Take some of those books out of the old bags and they may be just as nice as the books in the pretty mylars. I purchased from all dealer types.

I noticed that I kept seeing the same issues over and over again as I was scanning the boxes. For example, almost everytime I went through a box with a decent amount of HOM, I knew I would see an issue of #180,181,183,184,193,194,195,196,199,210,202. Those are EVERYWHERE!. But, in the same run what did I not see? How about #177,187,190,192,197. I did see a bunch of #200s but I bought almost all of them as I just love that cover. I would say I witnessed this same scenario with each series, the same books over and over, and some books never seeing ANY issues. Perhaps this had to do with what books had better covers. Take me for example, as I am not trying to complete any runs, I only buy the books with the best covers, and mutiples of each. I assume many others buy like I do. I'd rather have five copies of HOM #200 than one each of #195-199, for example.

Regarding grade, anyone looking for 9.6 or 9.8 of ANY issue, then forget it. I imagine all ultra high grade books are already out of the dealers hands and are already owned by individual collectors. Plenty of 9.2 and 9.4 but that is as high as you will get, and these books are usually priced above Overstreet NM.

Not many slabbed Bronze Horror. In fact almost none. I was lucky in that I found a Ghosts #40 Giant CGC 9.2 in a CGC "bargain box" for $25 and I found the Wrightson cover Detective #425 (mentioned a couple pages back) in 9.0 for $25. But very few slabbed bronze horror overall. I did see a Weird War #1 in CGC 9.0 selling for $275. I could have maybe grabbed it for $250 which is about OS for that grade, but as I was looking for "deals" I passed it up (regretting it a little).

As far as what I picked up, I was able to get alot of nice books. I found very few nice issues of Weird War at this con but I found plenty of the other titles. A Ghosts #1 in VF/NM I grabbed first thing on Friday for $50, 12, nice copies of HOM #177,187,190,200,205 HOS #86, Unexpected #113,115, WH #21. Many more books as well but there were the earlier more expensive books. Found a few cheap deals like a WH #1 in VG for $17.50, can't pass up some of the lower grade keys. Also a nice Fine + copy of DC-100 Super #4 for $45 and a Super DC Giant #20 in VF for $37.50.

Anyway, I had a good time.

Mile High order

A couple weeks before leaving for Chicago I put in my first order with Mile High Comics. Wasn't planning on it, just went to the site for the first time and found alot of nice books. It was so easy to just click away and add books to my shopping cart that after ten minutes, I already had over $250 worth of late bronze DC horror. I have to say, that although Chuckie doesn't have everything, he has ALOT of stuff. I'd say overall he has a better selection of Bronze horror than all the dealers in Chicago put together. Missing some of the earlier Bronze high grades that I saw in Chicago, but other than that, a great inventory, comparitavely speaking. I ordered 30 books that were all listed as in stock. I ordered only NM. Since I was taking a chance with my first order, and on a budget, I only purchased the inexpesive issues ranging in price from $5 - $15. And only books published between 1975 and 1979. Upon returning home from Chicago my box had arrived. I received and was charged for 29 of the 30 I ordered. Order was correct and shipping was secure. OK, you are all interested in grading, who isn't? I was pleasantly surprised. Sure there were some books with a few minor spine creases or tiny corner dings, But I'd say that all these books would grade out between 9.0 and 9.6. I was happy with that. Certainly half of the books should generate at least 9.4, maybe even 60%. But granted, I have not yet examined most of the books thoroughly, this is just from looking at them in the bags (some with boards some without). Nevertheless, I was happy and yesterday I put in another order for $250 more of the same including some issues I don't have yet. I like Mile High because I am able to essentially "Buy It Now" for a large amount of issues. Ebay is cool, but I don't have the patience to buy one or two issues from any given dealer, especially for lower dollar books. With MH, I can buy a big pile and be on my way. That's the way I like to do it.

Anyway, that's about it. ------Sid 573806-HOS.jpg

573806-HOS.jpg.6dab06840bc2c9d43d957ee371d5f669.jpg

Nice report Bass,

Nice pickups too, good to hear you liked your MH shipment of books, any runs you ordered specifically?

Basically everything late 70s that they had in NM with a cool cover. HOM,HOS,WH,Ghosts and Unexpected. Yeah, I was happy with it. I am picky, but not anal with grading. I'll be going over them with a fine tooth comb later to see which books are CGC-worthy, along with my Chicago pickups. I'll wait until after I receive my second MH order and then make a submission to CGC. I think I am done buying for now though. Spent too much recently. Just slabbing and selling for now. My next big purchasing event will be Wondercon in Feb. Then San Diego in July again. ------Sid

Nice report Bass,

Nice pickups too, good to hear you liked your MH shipment of books, any runs you ordered specifically?

Basically everything late 70s that they had in NM with a cool cover. HOM,HOS,WH,Ghosts and Unexpected. Yeah, I was happy with it. I am picky, but not anal with grading. I'll be going over them with a fine tooth comb later to see which books are CGC-worthy, along with my Chicago pickups. I'll wait until after I receive my second MH order and then make a submission to CGC. I think I am done buying for now though. Spent too much recently. Just slabbing and selling for now. My next big purchasing event will be Wondercon in Feb. Then San Diego in July again. ------Sid

Was there a HOM 236 involved?

'Cause if there is i would love to hear about the grade you assign shy.gif

Nice report Bass,

Funny you mention that UV. Shiver asked the exact same question on my post in General. I saw ZERO copies of HOM #236 in Chicago (or at MH), and that includes ANY grade. I guess that one is rare, huh? ----Sid

Nice report Bass,

Funny you mention that UV. Shiver asked the exact same question on my post in General. I saw ZERO copies of HOM #236 in Chicago, and that includes ANY grade. I guess that one is rare, huh? ----Sid

I think it is one of the rarest HOMs to find in nice shape, i think shiver would agree, i should be getting a nice VF or so when i get a bit of cash cloud9.gif

Anyone on there boards got a nice copy of HOM 236 in there collection?

Nice report Bass,

Funny you mention that UV. Shiver asked the exact same question on my post in General. I saw ZERO copies of HOM #236 in Chicago, and that includes ANY grade. I guess that one is rare, huh? ----Sid

I think it is one of the rarest HOMs to find in nice shape, i think shiver would agree, i should be getting a nice VF or so when i get a bit of cash cloud9.gif

acclaim.gif

Nice report Bass,

acclaim.gif
Ah, but of course you have one.

Got a picture? flowerred.gif

I know this is changing the topic, but have you guys ever discussed the DC series Night Force by Gene Colan & Marv Wolfman? I have a complete run I bought off the stands, but what's your opinion? Is it to be loathed or loved? I remember reading them and feeling they were kinda wishy washy. Need to take a look at them again.

Opinions?

Mile High can kiss my rear! 893whatthe.gif

If any of you have read my posts, you know I am a completist / reader who generally doesn't give a care about HG material. That being said, a few weeks ago I had one issue of HoS to go to complete my BA run. So, I figured what the heck, Mile High has it in NM, I'll "splurge" and order a HG copy. Sort of a "celebration," so to speak, for finishing the run. This was the FIRST time I've ever ordered an advertised NM from a dealer in all my years of collecting.

Um, can you say "overgraded!" Now, I'm the first to admit I probably did the same when I FIRST entered the hobby. Even until I got my initial set of slabbed books back, in fact. However, I'm not a national dealer who has been at it since the birth of fandom who should know better. Mile High is, and I GOT BURNED! Color breaking spine creases and a quarter inch corner ding aint NM folks! FU%$* that!!!

I'm happy that you are satisfied with your HG order. Me, I feel I got "taken", and I'd rather take my chances, be patient, and roll the dice with friggin' eBay from now on rather than pay a premium for something that doesn't deserve it.

sign-rantpost.gif

Hey Chuck, your graders can 893censored-thumb.gif me !!!!

Hey Redhook - i had that series as a kid, and it freaked me out pretty dang severe! The issue with the snakes coming out of the eyes & mouth of the guy and attacking that woman really burned into my mind. I'd like to check them out again, as i have not since then.

Sid - Thanks for the report, I have noticed HOM186 dissapearing lately, it used to be common, like 180, but lately its drying up. I think its the quality of that issue which is head & shoulders above the rest. Looks like you got some nice books, especially those CGC ones! I am curious to see how many late 70's books appear as word gets out. If there isn't a lot, its going to be madness. If it is a lot, then good, more books for everyone!

HOM236 - i have had about 7 or 8 copies of the book in the last 14 years. the best is a VFNM, one VF+, 2 VFs and the rest were VGF or less. That may seem like a lot, but i specifically search that book out, its the 1st thing i look for. Its not rare, but it does seem to be in much shorter supply then surrounding issues.

laugh.gifSmall scan:574022-hom%20236sm.JPG Larger Scan:

Image Hosting by Vendio

Click to view supersized image

Smart Services for Smart Sellers

Get simple, reliable, and affordable image hosting with Vendio today!

Why haven't you offered this book to me yet? 893naughty-thumb.gif