• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,917 posts in this topic

A year ago and farther I always just brushed off DC horror thinking they were just lame reprints

Join the club, Sid! I never thought they were reprints, but I just generally felt the BA stuff couldn't be that great compared to the pre-code material because of the Comics Code. So, I ignored them. screwy.gif

I remember back in, say 1996, going to a local show loaded with $$ to blow on comics, but there was no pre-code horror to be had. One dealer had 3 long boxes of HG DC BA horror, which I glanced through, but didn't bother to buy because of the stigma of the CCA seal. The dealer just didn't understand that I didn't want to touch a "horror" book that was code approved. 893whatthe.gif

It wasn't until one day about 3 years ago that I came out of my stupor, had a moment of clarity, and I realized that DC BA was what I was reading when I was say 10 years old, and those books had made a lasting impression on me. Viola! Overnight my collecting habits changed. I still collect all ages of horror comics, but right now, and for the last couple years, it's been all about the DC BA for me.

I agree these books have nowhere to go but up. Myself, I'm what Doug would label a "traditional" horror collector, more concerned with reading the stuff and getting complete runs as opposed to HG hensteeth. I certainly won't knock HG horror guys, though. Hey, if I could afford it I'd be right there with 'em! I think it would be completely rockin' to own a BA set of 9.4 - 9.8 HoM's! thumbsup2.gif

Still, I catch myself freaking out when I see someone plunk down $350 for an UNSLABBED HoM 193! Yikes! That kind of "speculation" makes us "reader" guys a little nervous, as it can eventually mean the old "trickle down effect" to the cost of lower grades, ala the mid 90's pre-code horror craze. But... that's the hobby we are in, and anything can happen ..... insane.gif

Another excerpt from the same article on CHARLTON:

" In the last few months we have sold a lot of Charlton comics, with about 2/3 of them being Horror & SF titles. They are selling in all grades, but in the last while the demand for VF or better copies has almost tripled. While the 1950's & 1960's titled sported notable sales, the real demand has been for the issues from 1970-1986 Era. The 1984-1986 Era Charlton's all had small print runs, which is the main reason buyers go beyond the 1980 mark. So it is the Bronze issues that are gaining demand. Especially popular are those issues with; Ditko, Sutton, Newton, Zeck, Wayne Howard, etc; With all the DITKO listing on Charlton in Overstreet, one would think that they are all documented. When i started going thru contents to sell these books, i found as many as a dozen unlisted Ditko issues in a single title. Haunted #21 up (the Baron Weirwulf issues) are fast growing in demand. Haunted #37 is the FIENDISH FEMALES issue, a cool oddball item. CHARLTON BULLSEYE (the Color comics series) had Unpublished new material scheduled for #11 up, that ended up being published in Scary Tales #37 up, (a fact unknown to most collectors). Many Ghosts of Dr Graves #54 has a early JOHN BYRNE cover from 12/1975 & is one of his toughest early newsstand comics to locate. Many buyers like the classic Wood-Like art by Wayne Howard, with Midnight Tale being perhaps his most prominent & best title. "

Here's DR GRAVES #54 for reference:

B9159054.JPG

Haunted #37 Fiendish Females

B9117037.JPG

Another excerpt from the same article on CHARLTON:

" In the last few months we have sold a lot of Charlton comics, with about 2/3 of them being Horror & SF titles. They are selling in all grades, but in the last while the demand for VF or better copies has almost tripled. While the 1950's & 1960's titled sported notable sales, the real demand has been for the issues from 1970-1986 Era. The 1984-1986 Era Charlton's all had small print runs, which is the main reason buyers go beyond the 1980 mark. So it is the Bronze issues that are gaining demand. Especially popular are those issues with; Ditko, Sutton, Newton, Zeck, Wayne Howard, etc; With all the DITKO listing on Charlton in Overstreet, one would think that they are all documented. When i started going thru contents to sell these books, i found as many as a dozen unlisted Ditko issues in a single title. Haunted #21 up (the Baron Weirwulf issues) are fast growing in demand. Haunted #37 is the FIENDISH FEMALES issue, a cool oddball item. CHARLTON BULLSEYE (the Color comics series) had Unpublished new material scheduled for #11 up, that ended up being published in Scary Tales #37 up, (a fact unknown to most collectors). Many Ghosts of Dr Graves #54 has a early JOHN BYRNE cover from 12/1975 & is one of his toughest early newsstand comics to locate. Many buyers like the classic Wood-Like art by Wayne Howard, with Midnight Tale being perhaps his most prominent & best title. "

Here's DR GRAVES #54 for reference:

B9159054.JPG

Haunted #37 Fiendish Females

B9117037.JPG

Just by coincidence I was looking at this book on Mile High's site and said to myself..."Self, this has got to be the best "injury to eye" cover of the Bronze Age!"

Nice! Two books to the run! Will you consider the run complete without the 46 upgrade? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I sure will!

Yes, I fall into that completist catagory, can't really define it, but there's that certain thrill of adding those last precious issues to a long time collected run!

And Pov it wasn't till I joined these boards, read up on the strict grading, then realized that that I'd better go back and reassess my books that I started upgrading certain issues. Case in point; I had a run of The Witching Hour completed many years ago, when I went back to regrade I found about 15 issues that had water damage and a totally rusted bottom staple! frustrated.gif

My goal now is to have everything VF+ and up, I can't always afford the cream of the crop, but if I see it at a good price well, Hehe maybe... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Good Old Doug Sulipa & his thorough market reports! I agree with most all of what he is saying. Nice to see Weird War #93 gettting noticed, its a REALLY hard issue to locate! Nice to Charltons getting the proper props. I never realized that Many Graves #54 was a Byrne cover, i always thought it was Zeck! I think I have a true NM of that one kicking around. NIce issues posted Jayman, that purple worm cover is classic, and i have never seen that one before. These are exciting times for bronze age horror collectors!!! yay.gif

After reading Doug's research reports and doing some additional research, I'm more excited now about collecting Charlton books than ever before. In fact, I just picked up 20 NM Charlton books today. 893whatthe.gif

My HOM collecting is winding down, both because it's a long waiting game to fulfill the remaining books on my list and because there's just no issues out there.

So, in the meantime, I welcome myself to the Age of Charlton tongue.gif I'm sure I'm in for an equally frustrating time filling in the gaps of the collection, but since I have 0 books in my collection, there's nowhere to go now but up!