• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,915 posts in this topic

Some months back someone posted, not sure if here or elsewhere, an amazing BA Horror cover. As I recall, very simple image. All red background with only a guy bending back in terror as a giant spider attacked him. Was a profile shot with the guy facing to the right (again, as I recall).

Can someone please tell me the issue/number? Most appreciated!

What will happen with me and pre-code? No idea but time will tell.

Pov, I think the pre-code era is still going through the consequences of the big balloon-inflation days of the mid to late 1990's when the speculators "ruined" the market for the average fan and ended up raising prices all around the board, in all grades.

The trickle down has been IMO, that horror fans were driven away from the 50's books due to finance, and ended up getting into the less expensive BA horror as an indirect/or direct result. I point to the dramatic increase in BA horror popularity in the last 2- 4 years. Other factors may come into play as well, though.

I think what you may see within the next two years (it's already happening on eBay, hopefully dealers/ cons will be next) is that pre-code is selling once more at the prices of ten years ago before the dreaded boom. Yep. Not every book, not every time, but it is happening for sure. BA is "hot" right now, and eventually I think you'll see a leveling off in each direction (BA up, pre-code down); where the horror collector will have to decide between the two ages for his dollar because the prices will have evened out to a degree.

It's just the wax and wane of the hobby....

I agree, Keith. Even slabbed precode in VF or VF+ rarely goes for above guide on ebay nowadays, unless it's a key book with a classic cover. 9.0's sometimes get a premium price, but rarely. A few months ago the highest graded copy of Fiction House's Ghost Comics #1 (CGC 9.2) went for guide, which was astonishing to me (if I'd had a grand laying around, that baby would be mine!).

I have a suspicion that bronze horror will receive a significant hike in next year's OS, and after that happens, the multiples of guide that these books are going for wlll level a bit. Likewise, I wouldn't be surprised if OS drops guide prices on a lot of precode in VF and lower. Ultra high grade precode, I feel, should always deserve a weighty premium, as 1) it's just about nonexistant, and 2) when you can find precode in VF/NM or better, it's almost always from a classy pedigreed collection (the Spokanes, for example...beautiful books, so many with white pages!), and those collections usually command premium prices anyhow, regardless of grade.

Pov, I think the pre-code era is still going through the consequences of the big balloon-inflation days of the mid to late 1990's when the speculators "ruined" the market for the average fan and ended up raising prices all around the board, in all grades.

(just re-read and realized - long autobio post so skip if you are so inclned, folks!)

Keith, I do agree. I started collecting precode in the 80's and got about 80% of all precodes. In those days, $50-75 was a fair chunk to spend on a book. But this last Wondercon was absolutely the very worst I have ever seen. In 2003 I picked up many pre-codes for a lot better prices than I was seeing in 2004.

The trickle down has been IMO, that horror fans were driven away from the 50's books due to finance, and ended up getting into the less expensive BA horror as an indirect/or direct result.

A classic thing. In fact, it was partially responsible for books like pre-code horror, crime and even romance seeing upswings. The GA books started getting too pricey and GA collectors started looking elsewhere and behold! Atom Age! Now the crime books sometimes had good covers and storties but overall, were often too busy on the covers with text and the styories started getting a "same feel" for a lot of them. Romance? Still a bit underappreciated because there are some amazing covers and stories but, well - I mean - "love books"??? grin.gif But pre-code horror hit the GA collector's heart because a LOT of GA (pre-AA) books had covers and stories like these - just not 100% dedicated to horror or a superhero book with a "horror twist".

I think this past year pre-code horror basically broke its own back. I'm talking about $40-50 for your average, nothing special (nice but nothing special) Atlas horror form major dealers? No wonder so many books remained in the boxes.

As far as BA for me goes - I have to wonder how many pre-coders like me who never really noticed BA Horror suddenly discovered them due to the insanity of the pre-code market and said to themselves "Whoah!!!!! For how long has THIS been gong on?"

You know what my pre-code horror checklist has for DC and Charlton?

DC

House Of Mystery #1-35

Sensation Comics #107-109

Sensation Mystery #110-116

Charlton

Thing! #1-17

This Magazine Is Haunted #15-21

Strange Suspense Stories #16-22

This Is Suspense #23

That's it! The number of Bronze titles from these companies is simply astonishing. And the quality of many of the covers and stories rival, I think you'll agree Keith, many precodes.

So for me at any rate, the sense of dredgery in the pre-code made me start seeking those things I was familiar with - MARVEL Bronze horror. Started getting things like Brother Power, Doc Strange, Mummy, Man-Thing etc. But soon lost interest in them (now I have to figure out what to do with them!) because they started reading like a Marvel Superhero book.

So I'm talking to Greggy and we agree on him just sending me some nice (VF type books or a bit better) DC Bronze horror. A basic selection of several titles. I was shocked, amazed and enamored. Such is my beginning of Bronze Horror. I still appreciate the pre-codes a great deal, but I confess to getting more of a kick out of a never-before-seen Bronze than an old familiar pre-code I once owned.

Such is the collector.

Edited by povertyrow

Strawberry Shortcake. foreheadslap.gif

Have I told you lately I hate you? Let me know! I may need to refresh! tongue.gif

Guess Sutton and Netwon mean squat to you, naysaying woman-less human. tongue.giftongue.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

No - that is not dirt you are trying to wipe from your face - it is That Which Must Not Be Named.

BWAHHHAHHAHAhhhahhaahhahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!