• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,917 posts in this topic

Snagged! Check this one out, I just bought Ghosts #1-100. Not high grades, but a nice lot of mid-grades for an average with shipping of $2.33 each. Not bad. I love picking up large lots like this. thumbsup2.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=12592&item=2281084368&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Definitely a geat deal! Congrats! thumbsup2.gif

And I love winning lots like these also...there's nothing quite like opening up a box and having to sort through a hundred Bronze comics! cloud9.gif

Jim

Ok folks, so a few days back I asked if anybody had a DC horror checklist, and came up dry. So, as Sterling suggested, I've been making use of OS to and Shiver's website to put together my own. Here's what I've come up with so far, and I'd like to hear from anyone as to whether or not you feel I've left something out. But, before you peek at the list, here's a few caveats:

1) I think a couple of the titles are numerically an issue or two off, so the total count may not be scientific. I did most of the calculating at 3am. I'll have to look it over again and doublecheck the numbers. But at this point I'm more concerned with missing titles than I am the total number.

2) I haven't yet listed specific issue numbers for non-horror titles that have "special" horror issues. I've just listed how many horror issues are in that particular title (like the DC special series, for example).

3) I haven't stuck to the "official" parameters for when the bronze age begins and ends. There's a few hangers-on here, like the Madame Xanadu special and the Night force series (also I've listed the full run of titles like Ghosts and Weird War Tales that continued into the 80s) . This is because I feel these issues have a particular debt to the bronze age, and should be included as part of it.

4) I've included Weird Western Tales, but it's not really a title that I'm familiar with (other than seeing cover scans online). Is it considered a horror title?

Ok, so here's the list in progress, with the aforementioned and acknowledged errors:

Title (Number of issues)

Weird Mystery Tales (24)

Weird War Tales (124)

Witching Hour (85)

Doorway into Nightmare (5)

Unexpected (117)

House of Mystery (147)

House of Secrets (59)

Ghosts (112)

Phantom Stranger (41)

Sinister House of Secret Love (4)

Secrets of Sinister House (13)

Secrets of Haunted House (46)

Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love (4)

Forbidden Tales of Dark Mansion (11)

Madame Xanadu (1)

Super DC Giant (2)

DC 100 Page Super Spectacular (1)

DC Special (2)

DC Special Blue Ribbon Digest (3)

DC Special Series (6)

Limited Collectors Edition (3)

Swamp Thing (24)

Tales of Ghost Castle (3)

Black Magic (9)

Weird Western Tales (59)

Adventure Comics—Aparo Spectre Run, 431-440 (10)

Night Force (14)

Total # of titles: 27

Total books: 929

PS Anybody out there have close to a complete set???

List looks good, i would add a few of the earlier pre spectre books to the adventure run, one even has a monster cover. Weird western is less horror then Weird war, its pretty much straight up western. Plop has some consideration since it has cain & abel as well as the occasional horror type story.

I don't have the night force, madame xandau, 1 weird war, about 20 Phantom Strangers and 6 or so unexpecteds, but i think I am complete on everything else! tongue.gif

Cool...do you happen to know those specific adventure issues? I didn't realize Plop had any horror content. Good to know!

Also, would you consider Kirby's Demon books more superhero than horror? Another title I'm unfamiliar with, as I think most of the Kirby 70's stuff is pretty awful...comparatively, anyway, when you look at the guy's stuff like his 50s work on Black Magic (hah! I bet I'm the only guy in the world who likes Kirby more for his Black Magic stuff than anything else he did! grin.gif)

Nice, I never saw that last issue before! congrats!

I do consider Demon Superhero, but lately I have been thinking more about that. The verdict is still out on that one for me.

Don't miss plop #1 & #5 they both have BEAUTIFUL full on wrightson stories!

I tend to consider any continuing character book to have fallen off the horror line and into the superheroe - at least the way they have been presented. But I tend to equate horror to anthology so... confused-smiley-013.gif

Nice, I never saw that last issue before! congrats!

I do consider Demon Superhero, but lately I have been thinking more about that. The verdict is still out on that one for me.

Don't miss plop #1 & #5 they both have BEAUTIFUL full on wrightson stories!

I tend to consider any continuing character book to have fallen off the horror line and into the superheroe - at least the way they have been presented. But I tend to equate horror to anthology so... confused-smiley-013.gif

My thoughts is that the demon Etrigan started as a horror-based superhero (complete with cape) but he did drift back into horror during the Alan Moore run on Swampy. This was about the time he became a rhyming demon? When he got his ongoing series he fell back to fighting superheros such as Lobo and Supes. I think the verdict is still out at DC also where to classify him.

Pov, an exception that comes to mind of a continuing character that is well horror based is John Constantine: Hellblazer. I am not a constant fan/reader but the title is still going strong with 200+ issues. Jonah Hex also especially in the more recent Tim Truman mini-series. Preacher too I guess as I (gasp!) never read the series!

I think the Phantom Stranger series is also a book that is clearly a horror title with a continuing character, though I agree with POV that such books are uncommon. The PS series seems to me to be a very unusual exception, though. Even many of the earlier covers in the run seem to be knowing pre-code horror swipes.

The rhyming Demon, I had forgotten about that. That's one of those concepts that I sometimes think is very cool, sometimes very annoying and stupid. All depends on who's writing him at the time, I guess.

I think the Phantom Stranger series is also a book that is clearly a horror title with a continuing character, though I agree with POV that such books are uncommon. The PS series seems to me to be a very unusual exception, though. Even many of the earlier covers in the run seem to be knowing pre-code horror swipes.

The rhyming Demon, I had forgotten about that. That's one of those concepts that I sometimes think is very cool, sometimes very annoying and stupid. All depends on who's writing him at the time, I guess.

Forgot about the Phantom Stranger! I guess I was thinking more modern stuff, and yes the anthology style books were the norm.

The rhyming Demon was ok in spurts. When he got his ongoing title I remember an all-rhyming issue with notes to his rhymes saying: "Sung to the tune of..."

VERY annoying! crazy.gif

What about Strange Sports Stories? Would you guys consider that DC horror, or just a goofy title? That's one book I haven't read, so I'm not sure... confused.gif

Not horror.

Nominally science fiction.

But "goofy" is certainly accurate! thumbsup2.gif

Most of you into BA Horror probably already know of this issue but for those of you that don't, I was first turned on to it in this thread. I just received my first ever copy of this book and all I have to say is WOW! This is such a cool book, not only for the Neal Adams cover and the first appearance of Abel, but it contains the whole BA Horror Host "crew". The Mad Mod Witch and Judge Gallows from The Unexpected, Cynthia, Mildred, Mordred and Egor from The Witching Hour, Cain from HOM, Abel from the soon to be released HOS and a suprise appearance by the Phantom Stranger at the end to tell the last story! While the stories themselves are quite tame and sometimes border on the bland, the issue itself is strung together nicely by a group of kids that are holding Egor ransom for some goulish stories from the hosts. It also explains why Egor ran away in the early issues of The Witching Hour. I highly recommend finding a copy of this book if you are a fan of BA Horror! thumbsup2.gif

636780-DCSpecial%234.jpg

The BA Horror Hosts...

636780-DCSpecial%234Panel.jpg

589a8c27056f4_636780-DCSpecial4Panel.jpg.de659bb4f63591ec08cf8c2a3714fafc.jpg

Jayman,

Thanks for posting your DC Special #4 - that's one of my faves of all the DC Horror books!

Here's one of my copies of #4 that I got from Doc Banner (Thanks Doc!) & I love it!

DCSpecial4.jpg

The Super DC Giant #20 is another one I find to be cool, with the 'bookend' appearances by Cain. Took me awhile to find one in a condition I was happy with...

DCSuperGiant20.jpg