• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,920 posts in this topic

HighVoltage,

Your DC Special 9.2 is a beaut! I fully agree this issue just shot to the top of my favorites list also. I do have the Super DC Giant 20 which is also a killer book along with this issue IMHO!

637374-SuperDCGiant%2323.jpg

cloud9.gif

Thanks, nice to see my former DC Special 4 back into a new collector's hands.

Here's my 9.6 WP Western Penn copy.

And no, the top right isn't damage...damn optical illusion!

637379-DCSp4WestPenn.JPGfrustrated.gif

637379-DCSp4WestPenn.JPG.ff9de8939cc2b497a0da9ccb0f031ebe.JPG

Edited by greggy

no-pregrading doesn't cost more--in fact it is designed to save you money for books that don't make the cut.

The downfall to the pregrade approach is that there is a 50 book minimum. And they charge you $3 for each book they don't encapsulate.

For instance--send in 50 books and say 9.0 or better. They won't charge the grading fee for any book that doesn't make the cut--but they will charge you $3 for each book that doesn't make the cut.

182 was among the books in my last lot--it was graded a 9.4. I'll post pics when they come back. Still quite a few that I need upgrades on.

Gotcha.

I can't always afford the HG stuff so I try to keep my collection at VF-NM for now. Although I did just order some books from Metropolis and will post here when books are in hand. Meanwhile here are two issues I had a hard time finding in HG. Not saying for sure they are definitly hard to find issues, but they were for me!

637507-Ghosts%2318.jpg

589a8c271505e_637507-Ghosts18.jpg.e2240fa0302004c16137f38237e3a294.jpg

Really hard time finding this guy! Seems like each BA Horror title had a go with a swamp creature story at one time or another. BTW: There is really something way off on the perspective on this cover! crazy.gif

637512-Unexpected%23152.jpg

589a8c271859e_637512-Unexpected152.jpg.b1b13b001910748127a989bd1f9017bd.jpg

Really hard time finding this guy! Seems like each BA Horror title had a go with a swamp creature story at one time or another. BTW: There is really something way off on the perspective on this cover! crazy.gif

Nah...he's just 3 stories tall... crazy.gif

Great cover and very nice copy!

Jim

no-pregrading doesn't cost more--in fact it is designed to save you money for books that don't make the cut.

The downfall to the pregrade approach is that there is a 50 book minimum. And they charge you $3 for each book they don't encapsulate.

For instance--send in 50 books and say 9.0 or better. They won't charge the grading fee for any book that doesn't make the cut--but they will charge you $3 for each book that doesn't make the cut.

182 was among the books in my last lot--it was graded a 9.4. I'll post pics when they come back. Still quite a few that I need upgrades on.

Sterling, what is the exact procedure with submitting books for a pre-grade. I've heard a little about it but I know that there are several steps to submitting, paying, receiving back rejects, etc. Could you explain the exact process? Also, I thought the minimum was 100. I guess they lowered it to 50 now? Thanks------Sid

It's really quite simple.

1. Get all of your books together by tier (Economy, Modern)

2. Fill out an invoice per each 30 books just like you were going to submit them all (they want you to do this as no more than 30 books can be shipped in a box back to you)

3. Enclose 3 copies of each invoice in the box per each 30 books. At the top of the invoice just place: PREGRADE: [insert grade here] or better. It is also a good idea to indicate INVOICE 1 OF 4 etc so they know to treat all of them the same way.

4. Follow CGC's procedures for packing and shipping.

That's it.

You CANNOT change your desired grade minimum in random intervals/books, but you can change them for a batch of at least 50 or more.

I'd also advise calling them when they arrive to make sure everything is in order. They will barcode all of the books, and those that don't make make the cut will be sent back with your slabbed books.

PREGRADE is the only way to go for me mainly because they won't charge your card until AFTER everything is graded, since they won't know the total.

BTW I heard 100 for Moderns, but when I called recently they told me 50 minimum regardless of tier. You may want to confirm with them though.

Sterling, thanks for the detailed description. It also made me realize one more thing. Sounds like this is a way to defer your credit card payment closer to when you are going to receive your books back so that you are not paying off four months worth of interest (of course assuming you carry a balance on your card). OK, so even with pregrading they need an invoice for each 30 books, but that you can submit several invoices worth of books together in the same box. Wasn't sure about that before.

Kind of funny, you are hoping that most books make it through pregrade, but the more that do, the higher the cost. I guess that's the point. I'll check about the 50 minimum thing. I can do that alot easier than 100. Not due to the cost, but doing my own cherry picking, and then my own pre-grading is very time-consuming. 50 is very doable. Thanks again------Sid

Hey guys, what's up with this HOM cover? check the link:

http://archangels.com/db_detail.php?id=371

How come the "O" in the word "Demon" (bottom right of the cover) is all filled in with that pinkish-red color? I've seen other copies of this book where this is not the case, and the "O" is just filled in with white like the rest of the logo...I know POV was posting awhile back about weird colors on covers and such...anybody have any idea what this is? Some weird printing/ink error? Or did some kid take a crayon to this book and it still got a 9.6??

confused.gif

Looks like a printing error based on the colors and similarity to the crouching demon above it. I suppose technically, it is probably a stripper's error - they forgot to fully hold back the colors when making up the flats that eventually get burned to make the final negatives the printer burns the plates from.

POV, you are my bud, but I have to respectfully disagree that this would be an error by a stripper. The shape is just too irregular.

My guess is that the covers were done on a web press (a continuous strip that gets cut after printing) or were possibly even sheet fed. Either way, looks like after the "magenta pass" something maybe fell into the process either on the strip or elsewhere. (could have actually happened PRIOR to magenta pass as well) This could have been anything like bearing grease which got on the transfer roll and kept the ink from getting onto the contact/plate/image roll . It would have gone away after mere moments to minutes, and would have created this "blotch" in the image.

I've also seen press operators squirt solvent/reducer across the rolls during a run to remove build-up from a plate in order to restore some image quality, but "most importantly" - to keep the operator from having to do a plate change (uh, more work 27_laughing.gif).

Just my two cents. IMO, a stripper error is 9/10 times going to be more of a conforming shape. Like, "oh crud, I forgot to cut out the cyan in the circle of the DC logo!"

POV, you are my bud, but I have to respectfully disagree that this would be an error by a stripper. The shape is just too irregular.

Hey Keith! I agree the irrregular shape is unusual. It doesn' t seem to have the knife-cut look. What made me think of stripping error (or maybe combining error) was the color is, at least from the scan, is very similar to some of the combined colors - look to be mainly magenta and small amount of cyan - maybe a very small titch of black? It is very similar to the demon but (forgot to mention it and more important as it would be part of the combine) the "MYSTERY" logo color.

But I think we can agree it is definitely an error? grin.gif

Like, "oh crud, I forgot to cut out the cyan in the circle of the DC logo!"

27_laughing.gifthumbsup2.gif

Your books do seem to get around! grin.gif

Now that WP copy is a real cloud9.gifcloud9.gif

Yeah...banner likes to dump my rejects eventually! frown.gif

Greggy - is your 9.6 the top in the census - seems like it is...

I've ended up with about 6 of your former books now - just keep dumping them on me, people! They're sweet books and I'll be keeping them for a long time!

Jayman - that DC Super Giant (Unexpected) is another fave of mine. I've had a few chances at that one recently, but they've slipped through my fingers. Hopefully I'll land a copy soon!

Also - the Ghosts (#18) and Unexpected (#152) issues you posted are very, very nice!!!! thumbsup2.gif

Your books do seem to get around! grin.gif

Now that WP copy is a real cloud9.gifcloud9.gif

Yeah...banner likes to dump my rejects eventually! frown.gif

Greggy - is your 9.6 the top in the census - seems like it is...

I've ended up with about 6 of your former books now - just keep dumping them on me, people! They're sweet books and I'll be keeping them for a long time!

Jayman - that DC Super Giant (Unexpected) is another fave of mine. I've had a few chances at that one recently, but they've slipped through my fingers. Hopefully I'll land a copy soon!

Also - the Ghosts (#18) and Unexpected (#152) issues you posted are very, very nice!!!! thumbsup2.gif

It's one of the few in 9.6. I know banner sold another 9.6 WP in the past. I guess you still have my GS books. Gave up on those due to the tougher modern grading.

I'm grading one of my Super DC Giant S-23 now and may grade my lower grade one eventually. Expect at least a 9.4 and probably better on the better one.

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

But I think we can agree it is definitely an error? grin.gif

Oh, yeah! Certainly happened at the printer! thumbsup2.gif

Another thing I have seen happen quite often is that when the paper roll is unwinding and feeding into the press, sometimes a "chunk" of paper or debris from the mill that was somehow "wound/wrapped" in the roll falls onto the web and then gets on the transfer roll; resulting in no ink on the plate in that spot, and thus a "blob" looking area on the printed material. Happens quite frequently with "inferior" paper like newsprint type. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif