• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,917 posts in this topic

You dont have one yet crazy.gif, I got an extra one if you want one.
I cannot find it anywhere crazy.gif

Where did you guys get it from?

You need one UV?, my LCS has a few extras I can grab one for you. LMK.

Maybe the horror "push" hasn't been as strong as we have thought? confused-smiley-013.gif

Being horror collectors, we are wrapped up in our own little horror world. Does any influx of new interest in the genre always tend to seem like a "craze?"

It is obvious DC BA has been the area of horror interest the last five years, certainly the last three. It has yet to reach the ignorant, blind frenzy ( screwy.gif) of the 90's pre-code boom though, and maybe it never will. How many OTHER market reports were screaming "BA horror!" from the roof tops like Sulipa?

I agree completely. I am thinking the "push" so far has been from guys like me, dudes already interested in horror comics in general that has now (within the past year) focused on the DC horror. In otherwords, I was easy bait. But the masses are not here yet, or are at least starting to trickle in slowly. It is when the superhero collectors take notice the prices will really fly. This won't happen overnight, but it has started. Most of the hardcore fans, like those on this thread are already here. It's those Spidey, X-Men and Batman guys that will bring these prices up as they slowly come over to the darkside. Not that theyll give up on their precious superheroes, but you bet they'll expand and want to join our little club. The chatter and press has already started. Collectors have started to take notice and will continue for a good while (years) longer. Of course, IMO. cool.gif

Oh the craze was there alright based on a number of very eye catching prices realized for HG slabs. But it did seem as if the same bidders were the ones sending these prices into the stratosphere. So maybe the craze was a little overstated.

Jim

I'm guessing the whole term "craze" or whatever term you want to use for renewed or new interest in the genre,BA in particular, has maybe been hyped too much to this point in time.There has been interest in the area for a couple years, no doubt, but I don't think it's reached maniacal proportions as of yet. That's why I don't think we see key books slabbed in 7.0 or thereabouts. Not everyone is trying to cash in, because as you stated, $$ demand was only for HG slabs and limited to a few key buyers.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I agree completely. I am thinking the "push" so far has been from guys like me, dudes already interested in horror comics in general that has now (within the past year) focused on the DC horror. In otherwords, I was easy bait. But the masses are not here yet, or are at least starting to trickle in slowly. It is when the superhero collectors take notice the prices will really fly. This won't happen overnight, but it has started. Most of the hardcore fans, like those on this thread are already here. It's those Spidey, X-Men and Batman guys that will bring these prices up as they slowly come over to the darkside. Not that theyll give up on their precious superheroes, but you bet they'll expand and want to join our little club. The chatter and press has already started. Collectors have started to take notice and will continue for a good while (years) longer. Of course, IMO.

...and that is an insightful opinion, Sid! thumbsup2.gif

I think as horror collectors we have been stroking ourselves lately over the prices realized and interest in BA the last 3-5 years. If the genre attracts the people you just described, THEN I think we will be actually experiencing a "wave" or "craze" or whatever. Time will tell... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Early bronze, DC horror has something else going for it above and beyond the horror genre - cover and interior artwork by some of the premiere artists of the day, at their peak. Specifically, there are lots of late silver/early bronze comic books collectors that collect anything by Adams, Steranko, Smith, Wrightson, Kaluta, the rest of "The Studio" artists, etc.,. That's personally what got me involved in horror (I collected Marvels based on character first, but as I "matured" I focused more on artists), and I pretty much only want the early bronze stuff. Kaluta did a lot of great horror covers after 1974 as well, but I'm not a big fan of the Dominguez, Aparo, or Kubert covers.

So add the baseline number of "artist" collectors, to the upsurge in "horror" collectors, to the huge surge in BA collectors over the last 5 years and you have demand for these books coming from several different directions. I tend to believe BA Marvel horror (what there is of it) may be maxed out, but the relative scarcity of DC's to Marvels, combined with the factors delineated above, lead me to believe the popularity of DC horror is still waxing... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Mike has definitely got a point with respect to the Artwork - IMO the best pure art in the BA is DC Horror. However the Superhero collectors, while attached to the artists, especially Neal Adams - are still superhero collectors. There are no identifiable characters in DC Horror. I know Doug was screaming it from the rooftops and I respect Doug's opinion - I still think that all dealer proclaimations in teh OS guide need to be taken with a grain of salt.

I still see the same bidders competign with me in Ebay and in other venues and I have actually seen less presence of a few of the guys that drove the prices up in the last 2 months. They probably have their 1-2 copies and have moved on. DC BA Horror is a grass roots movement in the hobby. There will be no movie, or popular culture extraneous circumstance to bolster the market - thank god for that.

And finally I still point to the Pre-Code stuff that has now seen a huge levelling off, besides the key issues. Ask the pre-Code guys about the demand verses price of the filler issues. Take into account that there is more BA than Pre-Code and I think Mr. Sulipa's comment while apt for the moment must be tempered with real time knowledge of the limits of DC BA Horror.

Even though I hate to use specifics to generalize - being a BA Horror Guy I still do not go outside the 4 core titles IE HOS, HOM, WWBN and TOD. A few books here and there, but I don't think that the number of completionists for the Witching Hour will ever approach Spiderman or X-Men levels or even 5% of those levels to be realistic.

Early bronze, DC horror has something else going for it above and beyond the horror genre - cover and interior artwork by some of the premiere artists of the day, at their peak. Specifically, there are lots of late silver/early bronze comic books collectors that collect anything by Adams, Steranko, Smith, Wrightson, Kaluta, the rest of "The Studio" artists, etc.,. That's personally what got me involved in horror (I collected Marvels based on character first, but as I "matured" I focused more on artists), and I pretty much only want the early bronze stuff. Kaluta did a lot of great horror covers after 1974 as well, but I'm not a big fan of the Dominguez, Aparo, or Kubert covers.

So add the baseline number of "artist" collectors, to the upsurge in "horror" collectors, to the huge surge in BA collectors over the last 5 years and you have demand for these books coming from several different directions. I tend to believe BA Marvel horror (what there is of it) may be maxed out, but the relative scarcity of DC's to Marvels, combined with the factors delineated above, lead me to believe the popularity of DC horror is still waxing... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Roger that! What's also a bit different recently is the still-increasing cover-centric focus that comes from (of course) CGC and things like this thread and the Shiverbones website. Lots of DC collectors probably knew about HoM 186 with its double-dose of Adams & Wrightson stories. But how many until recently cared about (for instance) HoM 267's Kaluta mermaid cover? I see Bronze horror on the same trajectory as the Adams covers of Batman 217-250: a rising tide lifting the entire title for a certain period, with individual minor key issues (Bat 232/234/251, potentially HoM 174) spiking upwards beyond that.

Yes exactly. The covers and the artists are the key. Hey, I've always liked horror, but what made me stick to these books is not the stories or subject matter, heck, I don't even read 'em. It is flipping through the books and perusing the great art, but even more importantly the great covers. The art is what makes it stick. NOT "just because" they are bronze age horror. But put the horror element together with some of the best artists of the time, and you have very collectible books. Problem is, because of the scarcity (as compared to superhero titles) and lack of familiar characters, literally many collectors have not yet even been exposed to these books. All they need to be is exposed and Wrightson, Adams, etc. will take over. And as we can all see, these books are starting to get better exposure to the masses (being recognized a little in the Wizard price guide for example, plus websites and feature stories, etc.).

OK, you asked for it. Anything to do with bronze horror, let's talk about it here. This is my favorite genre and my favorite age as well.

So, to start things off with a poll: I know I left out other Publishers, but I figured the majority of us here are in either the DC or Marvel camps.

CHOOSE 4 OF YOUR FAVORITE BRONZE HORROR TITLES BELOW!

I just went back, ALL the way back to the beginning of this awesome thread. This was the very first post. And I want to congratulate evryone who has posted herein, and specifically thank Sterling for starting it.

And, to remind him and everyone else that this thread's First Anniversary is April 13th!! Happy Birthday! yay.gifacclaim.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Some DC horror gems I found...

Unexpected #154 Gotta love the dark green they used for the cover!

unexpected154.jpg

Witching Hour #25 Killer QP on this baby...

wh25.jpg

DC Special #11 Special jigsaw puzzle variant issue! If you haven't noticed, it's missing a couple jigsaw pieces. Unique for this issue...will find no other issue with exactly the same pieces missing...

dcspecial11.jpg

Taking offers if interested... insane.gifgrin.gif

Jim

Wow! I still like those just as much as a nice 9.4, though!

Nice burn on DC Special, or whatever the hell that brown circle is,..... someone loved those books and put them through the paces, huh?! insane.gif

Edited by precodekeith

Sweet! Keeping specimens like that raw is throwing off those census numbers. My question has been answered. You get those from Sulipa? Blazing Bob? Bobcat? grin.gif

You get those from Sulipa? Blazing Bob? Bobcat? grin.gif

27_laughing.gif

I don't remember exactly how I came across them. More than likely they were part of a collection bought off eBay... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

They are now my son's...and some of the few comics he has actually read. He must have liked them as most of the comics I give him tend to end up in the trash after awhile... 893whatthe.gif

Jim

Very cool! I had this book for years before I realized the title wasn't "Son of Dracula"! foreheadslap.gif I believe this is the only issue of the run. Another Atlas short-run (3 ish.) series that I liked was Planet of the Vampires which might have had a Neal Adams cover on the first issue? Can't remember if this is true or not.