• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,922 posts in this topic

Not sure how many people have seen this cover - it was posted a few days ago in Comics General by October_Fire. Its the Alternate cover / unsued cover for Tower of Shadows #1.

780235-tower1-orig-cropped.jpg

780235-tower1-orig-cropped.jpg.d756565df42ff3878991aee533ecb1c0.jpg

Edited by jbud73

no one cares about my books... sorry.gif

I care, I care!

Sterling, just curious about your 9.0 books. Do you consider them acceptable or just placeholders in your collection since I know you shoot for the higher grades of 9.4-9.6. Or do they just go up for sale/auction?

I consider 9.0 books both acceptable AND placeholders, as I will most likely update these copies at some point in the future. As my grading has improved, I am now raising the bar on acceptable grades from CGC. In fact, I just submitted 30 Moderns recently with no pre-grade, so I'm now grading "without a net" to test how improved my pregrading has become.

BTW, IMHO, I think grading has become strict again, as my 9.0s look better than most encapsulated 9.4s out there!!!! As I've learned some of the minute discrepencies between 9.0 and 9.4 I'm slowly accepting the fact that it's not worth banging your head (and your pocketbook) to get the 9.4+ grades on some of these books.

HoM, on the other hand, is a totally different matter insane.gif

I consider 9.0 books both acceptable AND placeholders, as I will most likely update these copies at some point in the future. As my grading has improved, I am now raising the bar on acceptable grades from CGC. In fact, I just submitted 30 Moderns recently with no pre-grade, so I'm now grading "without a net" to test how improved my pregrading has become.

BTW, IMHO, I think grading has become strict again, as my 9.0s look better than most encapsulated 9.4s out there!!!! As I've learned some of the minute discrepencies between 9.0 and 9.4 I'm slowly accepting the fact that it's not worth banging your head (and your pocketbook) to get the 9.4+ grades on some of these books.

HoM, on the other hand, is a totally different matter insane.gif

Ya Sterling gradign will always be subjective and with the amount of books that CGC sees there will always be phases from strict to less and back and forth etc, etc

OK, this is the thing. Why do you (or anyone really) care so much about a label that says "9.4" when there are only minute discrepancies between those and 9.0s? Since even CGC apparently cannot tell the difference, or they get strict, lighten up, get strict again, etc. 9.0 copies of BA books come by pretty cheaply, whether raw or graded for the most part. Personally I'd never spend 9.4 to 9.8 label prices on these books when I can get raw 9.0s for a couple bucks all over the place. I understand the desire for perfection, but I also understand the value of money and what it can buy (10-20 raw VF/NMs or one 9.6, for example). I know, it's just me, but that's how I see it. confused-smiley-013.gif

OK, this is the thing. Why do you (or anyone really) care so much about a label that says "9.4" when there are only minute discrepancies between those and 9.0s? Since even CGC apparently cannot tell the difference, or they get strict, lighten up, get strict again, etc. 9.0 copies of BA books come by pretty cheaply, whether raw or graded for the most part. Personally I'd never spend 9.4 to 9.8 label prices on these books when I can get raw 9.0s for a couple bucks all over the place. I understand the desire for perfection, but I also understand the value of money and what it can buy (10-20 raw VF/NMs or one 9.6, for example). I know, it's just me, but that's how I see it. confused-smiley-013.gif

I hear what you are saying Sid. I'm slowly being converted to the "9.0" crowd just because of the true savings between that and 9.4+. For my grail books, I aim to buy 9.6 books because there is enough of a visual difference to justify the cost. But for less loved books I collect (Vault of Evil and other misfit Marvel titles) 9.0 and 9.2 is just fine with me. Prioritization is key for me.

On the same hand, we shouldn't scrutinize high grade collectors as well. Remember when it comes to selling these higher graded books these are going to go for bigger bucks and will increase in value faster. There are alternate ways to collect, and we all have good justifications for either approach. flowerred.gif

Back to your regularly scheduled Bronze Horror Thread.