• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,920 posts in this topic

On the same hand, we shouldn't scrutinize high grade collectors as well. Remember when it comes to selling these higher graded books these are going to go for bigger bucks and will increase in value faster. There are alternate ways to collect, and we all have good justifications for either approach. flowerred.gif

Yeah, I'm not trying to scrutinize or look down upon any style of collecting, just voicing my opinion about what is important or not important to me. I see the whole high value for high grade thing as a double edged sword. Yes, I'm scouring the same ads and convention bins for the same flawless and desirable books, but that is as a dealer, not a collector. I LOVE the high grade guys, those are the ones that pay for my involvement in this hobby and are the reason I can buy my 7.0 to 9.0 books that I keep for myself. Sell the best, keep the rest. A few spine creases don't bother me at all. I absolutely hate those miscut white line on the spine books, but give me an 8.5 with nice QP and I'll be happy any day.

You know, it's not just comics. I have a friend who has a 2003 large cherry red SUV of some sort. Every time he finds a little scratch on that thing (even a scratch you can't see unless it's pointed out to you) he takes it down to the autobody or detailing shop to get it re-painted or repaired. Thank god for the perfectionists, they keep alot of others employed.

On the same hand, we shouldn't scrutinize high grade collectors as well. Remember when it comes to selling these higher graded books these are going to go for bigger bucks and will increase in value faster. There are alternate ways to collect, and we all have good justifications for either approach. flowerred.gif

They will also be the hardest hit once the HGs become relatively common... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

BassG, I'm very much with you on this one (and not to pile on Sterling at all, who has some gorgeous books...it's exactly as he says, everyone has different collecting styles). I want high grade BA horror books like everyone here, but I'm on a budget, and the crazy price discrepancies between 8.0-9.2 and 9.4+ has had me very cheerfully opting for the 8.0-9.2 range. Recently, I obtained a beautiful raw HOS 103 (one of my grails for years) in sharp 9.0/9.2 condition...white pages, high gloss, sharp edges with just a few extremely faint spine cracks...for about $30. Before that, I'd been looking at PGCMint's CGC 9.4 copy at $200, which had already sold by the time I found it (which is probably lucky for me, as I might have been tempted to pull the trigger myself!). I'm confident that all but the pickiest of collectors would agree that both copies have equal eye appeal, even on close inspection. Another recent score was a HOM 202 in VF+ for $15 (!)...the book looks like a solid 9.2/9.4 except for a small ding on the right edge, and I couldn't be happier with it. Especially if you're on a budget, 8.0-9.2 books with high eye appeal can represent a tremendous bargain.

They will also be the hardest hit once the HGs become relatively common... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

Maybe...maybe not...just depends what the supply/demand is and whether it eventually happens. I'm noticing a trend on certain books that "seem" more abundant in high grade than others...

but thank you for that bright ray of sunshine... yeahok.gif

Sid, not saying you were scrutinizing...as you were I was indicating my logistical and personal preferences. If anyone wants to hate on my books, I don't care. I love 'em and that's what is important.

P.S.

The way I see it, the high grade rollers will hate on my 9.0-9.2 books and the price shopper will hate my 9.4+ books. Can't win either way actually.

Point Five, I think you got the jist of my statements. Over time I may become less of an ubber grade collector to just a regular low-high grade for some titles. Other titles, keys, or personal favorite issues will still bypass to the high grade bucket.

Maybe...maybe not...just depends what the supply/demand is and whether it eventually happens. I'm noticing a trend on certain books that "seem" more abundant in high grade than others...

but thank you for that bright ray of sunshine... yeahok.gif

You're taking a very narrow view to make excuses for why collecting uber HG is benefical. There's two sides to the story though. Prices on HG Bronze are already softening with OS starting to lower prices. Horror will be isolated to an extent but will not be immune...

Take jabs all you want...the market is tending to oppose your unrealistically sunshiny view. I'd suggest closing the drapes a tad so you aren't caught out wondering where it all went wrong...

Jim

Sid, not saying you were scrutinizing...as you were I was indicating my logistical and personal preferences. If anyone wants to hate on my books, I don't care. I love 'em and that's what is important.

Hey, makes sense to me. thumbsup2.gif

You're taking a very narrow view to make excuses for why collecting uber HG is benefical. There's two sides to the story though. Prices on HG Bronze are already softening with OS starting to lower prices. Horror will be isolated to an extent but will not be immune...

Take jabs all you want...the market is tending to oppose your unrealistically sunshiny view. I'd suggest closing the drapes a tad so you aren't caught out wondering where it all went wrong...

Jim

Dude, don't get overboard on me...

I didn't know if I had a sunshiny view. If anything I'm agreeing with your statements by acknowledging via personal observation some of the softening you are referring to. confused.gif Part of my assessment to collect more in the 9.0-9.2 range had the HG effect in consideration. I only listed one benefit of HG, it wasn't mean to be the definitive list or my only reasons for collecting HG. Sid listed one of the reasons for collecting 9.0 books, I thought it was only appropriate to give an alternate viewpoint. My listed reason would make me a speculator, and I'm certaintly not doing that. Your mileage will vary.

BTW, I prefer my drapes closed all the way. Makes me easier on the eyes insane.gif

Hey, although Jim makes some great points, I'm still on the opposite side believing that ALL grades of BA DC horror has upwards price hikes ahead. Whether you are buying the raw 8.0s or the CGC 9.6s, you'll make money on these books in the years to come. At least I'm counting on it, but then again, I realize there are no guarantees.

12, 15, and some of the earlier 20-cent DC BA horror books are simply not available in high grade...and the demand is only increasing (read this year's OS market reports to get an indication of what to expect over the next few years in this area). I don't expect much, if any, dropoff in prices for 9.4+ slabbed BA horror over the next several years (DC anyway). The books are fairly available in 9.0 and below and don't really command a premium, but high grades are tough, tough, tough!

Increasing demand along with limited supply = 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hey, although Jim makes some great points, I'm still on the opposite side believing that ALL grades of BA DC horror has upwards price hikes ahead. Whether you are buying the raw 8.0s or the CGC 9.6s, you'll make money on these books in the years to come. At least I'm counting on it, but then again, I realize there are no guarantees.

And I don't make any good points? Hate on Sterling.... tongue.gif

the way i sees it, a wrightson cover is a wrightson cover is a wrightson cover.(and that goes for all the talented artists and creators).

as long as you can see the art and read the stories, i buy them and enjoy them.

just sayin'.

shh155el.jpg

shh162qp.jpg

shh219oh.jpg

shh310am.jpg

shh373pc.jpg

shh394kt.jpg

shh418tg.jpg

shh452mw.jpg

as to the post regarding prices/values/whatever softening, umm, yeah, they do indeed

go upsy and down. thank you for reminding those of us with small brains

who have trouble comprehending. makepoint.gif