• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,920 posts in this topic

Here's my report on the Pittsburgh con re:bronze horror.I think I saw the show from a different perspective than shiverbones. I'm a completionist collector currently working on the bronze DC and Marvel horror runs. I approach collecting from a price angle (gotta be a bargain) first and condition is secondary. I'm just going for good "eye appeal" (usually means a fine, for me). Therefore, when I see a seller with the majority of his stock sitting there in mylars, I run the other way as fast as I can. I only saw what was being offered in the bargain bins. I had a pretty decent budget of around $200 to spend and I ended up with half a long box of comics (list to follow). From a bottom feeder's point of view, here's where my experience differed from shiver's:

I went to the Pittsburgh show and here is what I found....Not a SINGLE HOM#236 in the room!
Here's the copy of HOM#236 I picked up. The same dealer had two copies of equal quality. I left the second one behind. It was still there on Sunday. This is one of the few doubles I picked up. Never hurts to have a spare of this one!HOM236.jpg" alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Ghosts was the most understocked title, with HOM & Witching hour being the most complete runs.
In the cheapie boxes, there were plenty of Ghosts, Secrets of the Haunted House, and Unexpected. The hardest to find were Witching Hour, House of Secrets, Secrets of Sinister House, and all Marvel horror titles.
NO ghosts #105s anywhere, or 106 for that matter. No HOS 137's or 139s
Found this copy of Ghosts#106 along with a bunch of others. The 105 was probably there too but I already have it and I went for filling holes before grabbing dupes. Ghosts106.jpg" alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Overall 20 & 25 centers were everywhere, late 70's were almost always missing.
In the price range I was shopping at I saw mostly late 70's and very little early bronze (under 35 centers or so). Most notable were a bunch of later issues of Unexpected, Secrets of the Haunted House, and House of Mystery that I picked up for a steal. I wish I would have had more money to spend. I left a LOT of stuff behind. Here's a sampling of last issues to represent the later 70's material I found in Pittsburgh.SOHH46.jpg" alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com

HOS154.jpg" alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com

HOM321.jpg" alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Ghosts112.jpg" alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Overall, it was a great show for bronze horror with one exception. That would be the B&W horror magazines. I only saw maybe 5 Skywald's there. The Warren mags I saw were all WAY overpriced. I didn't end up with a single magazine even though my want list is still full of them. I found a lot of later issues in the DC horror runs and finally found all the 80 page House of Mystery issues for a decent price. Here's the list of what I picked up:Chamber of Chills 15 VF $2Crypt of Shadows 6 F/VF $2Crypt of Shadows 16 F $1.50Crypt of Shadows 20 G/VG $1.50DC Special 11 VG $2Ghosts 3 VG $3Ghosts 4 F $3Ghosts 20 G (Looked much higher) $1Ghosts 36 F/VF $1.50Ghosts 40 VG/F $2Ghosts 42 F $2Ghosts 58 VF $2Ghosts 103 VF $2Ghosts 104 VF $2Ghosts 106 F $1Ghosts 109 F $1Ghosts 110 F $1Ghosts 111 F/VF $2Ghosts 112 F/VF $1House of Mystery 170 F $1House of Mystery 189 VG $2House of Mystery 204 VG/F $2House of Mystery 206 F $2House of Mystery 221 VG/F $2House of Mystery 236 VG $2House of Mystery 250 G $1House of Mystery 251 VG/F $2House of Mystery 252 VG/F $2House of Mystery 253 VG/F $2House of Mystery 254 VG/F $2House of Mystery 255 VG $2House of Mystery 256 VG/F $2House of Mystery 270 F/VF $1House of Mystery 293 VF $2House of Mystery 298 F $1House of Mystery 307 F/VF $2House of Mystery 309 F/VF $1House of Mystery 311 VF $2House of Mystery 312 VF $1House of Mystery 316 VF $2House of Mystery 317 VF $2House of Mystery 321 F $2House of Secrets 84 VG $2House of Secrets 89 F $4House of Secrets 90 VG $2House of Secrets 133 F/VF $2House of Secrets 134 F/VF $3House of Secrets 149 VG $2House of Secrets 154 F $2Phantom Stranger 7 F/VF $3Phantom Stranger 12 F $3Phantom Stranger 29 F/VF $3Secrets of the Haunted House 7 VF $2Secrets of the Haunted House 9 F/VF $2Secrets of the Haunted House 17 F $2Secrets of the Haunted House 23 G/VG $1Secrets of the Haunted House 43 VF $2Secrets of the Haunted House 45 VF $2Secrets of the Haunted House 46 VF $2Tomb of Darkness 12 F/VF $2Unexpected 126 VG/F $2Unexpected 163 F/VF $2Unexpected 167 F $2Unexpected 178 VF $2Unexpected 185 VF $2Unexpected 187 VF $2Unexpected 196 VF $2Unexpected 198 VF $2Unexpected 201 VF $2Unexpected 203 VF $2Unexpected 204 VF $2Unexpected 208 VF $2Unexpected 208 F $2Unexpected 211 VF $2Witching Hour 19 F/VF $7.50And I'll leave you with one of my few Marvel pick ups.Crypt6.jpg" alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Man I can respect that. I look for pre-code horror (or will be nmow that I am back into it) from a lesser garde but nice QP perspective. But I still skk the HG Bronze because I can usually get 10-20 or for the price of an HG pre-code horror. Hence my percpetion is really skewed.

But dang you made a lot of pickups! thumbsup2.gif

Litldvl, great report and very appreciated. Just shows that when coming from different perspectives the eyes pick up on different things. I'm like you, always looking for bargains but trying to stay in the VF- to NM- range for the best combination of price and quality. Nice list too with some serious bargains. Good job, you spread your budget out nicely. In my opinion you came away with a much better haul with your $200 than somebody coming away with five NM books and the same budget. thumbsup2.gif

WOW! I was coming from a high grade perspective, didn't really look at anything under VF+, but I STILL Looked for any grade 236 and saw none. I do look for bargains, which Is why I bought so few books, the others I would have liked were too high! Nice work, you really scored a ton of books a great prices! Glad you had a good time!

Gang,

Couple of items on the agenda.

First, I sent my first batch of books without a parachute (ie pregrade option) to CGC, to see if I've learned anything with the rejects. The results were astounding. Check it out here.

Second, I will be selling all VFish books through the MarketPlace. I will no longer be adding threads, but simply bumping the thread. Bookmark this URL and check back periodically.

Aside, I wish I could've won some more of those sweet WWT that Sid had online, but there were some serious bidders out there. Congrats on the sale, Sid. (I did manage to scarf up the WMT #23 grin.gif)

Second, I will be selling all VFish books through the MarketPlace. I will no longer be adding threads, but simply bumping the thread. Bookmark this URL and check back periodically.

Discounts: Established CGC Board Members (1,000 posts or more) can deduct 15% off of orders costing $125 or more. laugh.gif

Too bad everything is SOLD smirk.gif

Actually, I do have an early Wrightson Swampy issue there... tongue.gif

I'm putting up new batches soon, including scans!! Probably up sometime this weekend thumbsup2.gif

Titles include early Ghosts, House of Mystery, etc. Please, please--somebody put me out of my misery and buy some of my Marvel BA horror blush.gif

Please, please--somebody put me out of my misery and buy some of my Marvel BA horror blush.gif

I doubt that will be a problem with this crowd around....or judging by how quickly your previous books sold. thumbsup2.gif

Please, please--somebody put me out of my misery and buy some of my Marvel BA horror blush.gif

I doubt that will be a problem with this crowd around....or judging by how quickly your previous books sold. thumbsup2.gif

You won't get any competition from me on those Marvels. Yeah, I grew up on WBN and TOD and practically ignored the DCs at the time. Now, I'm jam packed with multiples of those two series, have some Man-Wolf, Frankie, Morbius and Man Thingy but don't care for those Marvel reprints that much. The few original Marvel anthologies are OK but the covers just can't match up to the DCs, and since that is primarily where my interests lie, well..... confused-smiley-013.gif no more Marvels for me. But if I see Sterling put up more Ghosts, HoM and etc., well.... the RACE is on yay.gifyay.gifyay.gifdevil.gif