• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,924 posts in this topic

Sterling, I have to tell you that I am really impressed with your HOM registry. As I have stated before, my collection is all over the place, but feel that I have some really nice books. You, however, have taken it to a level with your almost complete run of awesome looking books. Seeing your books makes me wish sometimes that I didn't collect comics as if I had ADD.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. My collecting over the past few years spread over the place; at one time I had 30% of Amazing Spider-mans in 9.4 or better condition (so I had ADD at one time too)--I had to sell them to continue my horror collecting--at which time I focussed specifically on DC BA. I've recently branched out back to Marvel BA horror (and in some cases was able to re-obtain some books I had sold a year or so ago).

My goal was to complete the HoM collection this year and then upgrade my 9.0/9.2s, but it's been tough this year. When the CGC newsletter comes out this month, I'm hoping more collectors will come to my aid so I can finish this quest. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I'm sure you will be able to finish the run as you already have the gems of the series. I have been meaning to ask you if you have always lived in North Carolina. I was born and raised there and moved to Texas in 2001 as my wife is originally from here and wanted to come back home. I miss NC alot. My mom still lives there but she is coming to see her grandbaby next month. I grew up in North Wilkesboro and had lived in Greensboro since 1988-2001. Have you ever been to Austin, or Texas for that matter?

Ok, I'll bite. I see minor wear to the bottom left edge and at a few points along the top edge, with what looks like a color fleck at the top edge near the right side. Those would not be enough to keep it out of 9.4 IMO.

Nice QP on that book and gloss, colors and inks look very fresh - but then again enlighten away.

I can forgive the staple CBC...What killed it for me is the damage in the LLC and what appears to be SCS damage in LRC...

If the LLC is the result of SCS then that was NOT there when it was graded. The faint stress the the top side of the top staple is granted (I have a better monitor at work than at home) still I do not disagree so much with the grade. Its either a strong 9.2 or a just made it 9.4 and if that is SCS then I can see 9.4 no problem.

I've seen CGC blow it far worse than this book - but always nice to talk about grading in this grade range. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I've seen CGC blow it far worse than this book - but always nice to talk about grading in this grade range. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Definitely. But why can't they be more forgiving on MY books? 893censored-thumb.gif

People on these boards love to pisss and moan about how CGC is tough on their books, but CGC really DOES seem tougher on your stuff from what I have seen. A lot of the 9.0-9.2 books you have posted have baffled me as to why they did not grade higher. Bizarre. Bad luck I guess. confused-smiley-013.gif

Definitely. But why can't they be more forgiving on MY books? 893censored-thumb.gif

People on these boards love to pisss and moan about how CGC is tough on their books, but CGC really DOES seem tougher on your stuff from what I have seen. A lot of the 9.0-9.2 books you have posted have baffled me as to why they did not grade higher. Bizarre. Bad luck I guess. confused-smiley-013.gif

That's one of the reasons that I bought so many of Sterling's books including many of his 9.0 pre-grade rejects. Obviously Sterling is only going to be sending in nice looking books, and if they don't make the 9.0 grade for whatever minor reason, they are still bound to have nice eye appeal at the 8.0 or 8.5 grades.

That's one of the reasons that I bought so many of Sterling's books including many of his 9.0 pre-grade rejects. Obviously Sterling is only going to be sending in nice looking books, and if they don't make the 9.0 grade for whatever minor reason, they are still bound to have nice eye appeal at the 8.0 or 8.5 grades.

Yep, you sure took care of those. tongue.gif I was glad to get the WW 7 second hand though. cloud9.gifthumbsup2.gif

Bizarre. Bad luck I guess. confused-smiley-013.gif

Story of my life. No biggie. Less money for CGC = more money to buy more raw books or treat the wife to a good time!

Can you post large pics of some of the ones you feel are most under-graded? I would be curious to see a few...

I'm sure you will be able to finish the run as you already have the gems of the series. I have been meaning to ask you if you have always lived in North Carolina. I was born and raised there and moved to Texas in 2001 as my wife is originally from here and wanted to come back home. I miss NC alot. My mom still lives there but she is coming to see her grandbaby next month. I grew up in North Wilkesboro and had lived in Greensboro since 1988-2001. Have you ever been to Austin, or Texas for that matter?

North Wilkesboro is the HQ for Lowes nice quiet town with access to the cities...I've been a North Carolinian (for better or for worse) my entire life, having lived on the east coast in Kinston/Snow Hill in addition to RDU, and now Charlotte. East of Raleigh gets REAL surburban, if ya know what I mean. Charlotte has become over-rated to me, as we are inheriting a lot of the big city negatives (such as crime, gangs, school population/inadequate instruction) with fewer positives. I've yet to be employed within the Charlotte area since I moved up here in 1993 (currently employed by a Waltham, MA based software company; I was previously employed out of Matthews for a regional retail chain doing IT architecture and design). I'm considering moving out of state soon; the desire to be near my parents may quelch that idea. Besides, taking a two hour ferry to Ocracoke Island off the coast can really ease the stress from time to time.

Being I am now a traveling consultant, I've been to just about all of the major US cities. I've been to Austin, Houston and Dallas. thumbsup2.gif

Hey guys, I'm new but been reading for awhile. I finally have something worthy to post in this, the best thread around, and I can't figure out how to get it to show up. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Or send me where I can find the info. I've tried the FAQ(no dice), I don't have a web page. Could my attachments be too large? Anyway, thanks in advance.

Hey guys, I'm new but been reading for awhile. I finally have something worthy to post in this, the best thread around, and I can't figure out how to get it to show up. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Or send me where I can find the info. I've tried the FAQ(no dice), I don't have a web page. Could my attachments be too large? Anyway, thanks in advance.

Hey, welcome to what many others here would also agree with as the best thread around. Hopefully some computer whiz around here can help you post the scans. It took me a while to figure it out and the FAQ was no help. Certainly if the file is too big it will get rejected. And don't feel as if you have to say something "worthy". Much of what we banter about is just small talk anyway. Any opinions or ideas are cool. What runs or books do you collect and what books are you still looking for?

I only need Phantom Stranger 3,37,40 and 41 to have a complete run in 9.2 or higher(including Showcase 80 and B&B 89 and 98 and JLA 103). Been looking for a year for solid books. Working on the Adams Detective run as many seem horrorish. I have been slowly aquiring (about 10 a week) of the late 70's and early 80's horor books like Weird War(just got first Miller ,64, but don't know what he drew in the issue?), Unexpected, etc all in 9.6 or better for 9.2 prices from a local guy who used to own a shop in the early 70's to mid-eighties. I've almost cleaned him out. And........anything Flash. Also anything DC.

all in 9.6 or better for 9.2 prices from a local guy who used to own a shop in the early 70's to mid-eighties. I've almost cleaned him out. And........anything Flash. Also anything DC.

Sounds like you are collecting many of the same books that some of us are. Check out the BA Batman thread too. Yeah, it's great when you can find dealers selling 9.4-9.8 quality books at the Overstreet 9.2 grade. Unfortunately though these days most dealers are becoming aware of the multiples of that 9.2 grade, so you got lucky in finding that old-schooler. Going to the San Diego or Chicago cons?

I know what your talking about with the great deals I've been getting from this guy. Of coarse, I'm stupid and told him how much some of the keys were worth and he pulls out a Silver Surver 1,2,3 in 9.4 and higher and tells me he wants them CGC'd so he can get multiples of guide. He also has full runs of SHowcase and B&B in his private collection.

I know what your talking about with the great deals I've been getting from this guy. Of coarse, I'm stupid and told him how much some of the keys were worth and he pulls out a Silver Surver 1,2,3 in 9.4 and higher and tells me he wants them CGC'd so he can get multiples of guide. He also has full runs of SHowcase and B&B in his private collection.

You did make one of the biggest mistakes a modern-day collector can make. If you are buying HG books from a dealer who is not aware of CGC multiples for 9.4 and above books. KEEP QUIET!!! Some people may think this is taking advantage of the dealer. I don't. If somebody wants to sell something and are unaware of it's potential value, why should the buyer be the one to tell him? BUT, this is much different than lying to some old lady and telling her that her old 1940s books are worthless and that you'll buy them for a buck a piece. Apples and oranges. I know somebody would have brought that up.