• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,920 posts in this topic

Sweet deal. $6.50 for a 9.0 ain't too shabby. Greggy got arse-raped for his raw 9.2........$105 I think. But he likes getting arse-raped......... screwy.gif

From Bobcat? I remember that one... 27_laughing.gif

Many of bobcat's 9.2s have been 9.6s when coming back from CGC...depends on the defects. My Ghosts #9 9.2 from bobcat should come back from CGC 9.4 or better.... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

But I agree that's a wild gamble. I used to take overwhelming odds against me years ago; now I am more discerning before pulling the trigger. My wife and pocketbook thank me.

Sweet deal. $6.50 for a 9.0 ain't too shabby. Greggy got arse-raped for his raw 9.2........$105 I think. But he likes getting arse-raped......... screwy.gif

Many of bobcat's 9.2s have been 9.6s when coming back from CGC...depends on the defects. My Ghosts #9 9.2 from bobcat should come back from CGC 9.4 or better.... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

But I agree that's a wild gamble. I used to take overwhelming odds against me years ago; now I am more discerning before pulling the trigger. My wife and pocketbook thanks me.

I have never had the opportunity to buy stuff off him. His grading is well known and his auctions always seem to bring CGC prices for raw issues, which I am not going to pay.

I have never had the opportunity to buy stuff off him. His grading is well known and his auctions always seem to bring CGC prices for raw issues, which I am not going to pay.

um...ok. confused-smiley-013.gif No one asked you to join the club anyway... 27_laughing.gif

That's why I buy off the secret sellers no one knows about yet; eBay is just one of many resources that can bear fruit.

I've bought from Bobcat and found him to be right on with his grading. Not much of an undergrader though. I think he's run out of stuff to sell as I have only seen comic related mags in his eBay store for quite some time.

I've bought from Bobcat and found him to be right on with his grading. Not much of an undergrader though. I think he's run out of stuff to sell as I have only seen comic related mags in his eBay store for quite some time.

I've talked to him on several lengthy phone calls. Very nice guy. As good as his comics are, he has been selling us table scraps. He still holds the highest graded copy from all of his books, and still has duplicates he is keeping gossip.gif

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've talked to him on several lengthy phone calls. Very nice guy. As good as his comics are, he has been selling us table scraps. He still holds the highest copy from all of his books, and still has duplicates he is keeping

Reminds me of a guy named Sid Marks that I buy from occasionally.

Edited by johnenock

But I agree that's a wild gamble. I used to take overwhelming odds against me years ago; now I am more discerning before pulling the trigger. My wife and pocketbook thanks me.

That's the thing. You can buy for close to slabbed prices from reputable well know accurate grading dealers or you can take your chances and buy from the smaller guys for fractions of FMV and hope to get lucky. I just can't fathom paying FMV slab prices (or anywhere close) for a raw book. Taking into account the overgrading that I have received, I'll stick with the little guys selling books for cheap anyday as I have been lucky many times with that.

um...ok. confused-smiley-013.gif No one asked you to join the club anyway... 27_laughing.gif

That's why I buy off the secret sellers no one knows about yet; eBay is just one of many resources that can bear fruit.

893whatthe.gif Watch your back, punishment bids coming! devil.gif

I only have one semi-secret seller, but it's a good one. thumbsup2.gif

That's the thing. You can buy for close to slabbed prices from reputable well know accurate grading dealers or you can take your chances and buy from the smaller guys for fractions of FMV and hope to get lucky. I just can't fathom paying FMV slab prices (or anywhere close) for a raw book. Taking into account the overgrading that I have received, I'll stick with the little guys selling books for cheap anyday as I have been lucky many times with that.

I like buying from unknown sellers. I get lucky a lot more than I get burned and the gamble ads a LOT to the fun of buying.

I agree with you on this one. I once bought a listed 9.2(raw) Ghosts 1 for 70 bucks and it came back a 9.4. I just made 300 bucks. I don't sell 'em, but it's nice to know what they're worth.

no offense guys, but I don't need to hear how great you are in getting deals. I've been on both sides. I've paid dearly for a book I've wanted, and I've bought raw and made thousands in profit in books I didn't want. This type of talk drips of 'we are better collectors because' and I'd rather stay clear of that if possible.

It's about the enjoyment of the books, right?

if it makes you guys feel better, I've bought a Ghosts #1 for $20 that came back from CGC a 9.4--worth $350+. I've also bought a Witching Hour #1 for $30 that came back a 9.2-now worth $200. I've bought a Amazing Spiderman #89 for $150 and sold it as a 9.6 for $1,200. The list goes on and on.

On the flip side, I've paid crazy money on some of my HOM books from PCEI. People thought I was crazy for spending $400 each on HOM 185 and 186 CGC 9.6. Don't really care. Show me your 9.6 and then we'll talk.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Personally, I like hearing about some of the great finds and deals people have snatched off of eBay. Why? Because half the time the book is so overgraded that you can't give it away. And... I'd pay crazy money for a flash 206 in 9.6 or an Auquaman 51 in 9.4 even. We all pay crazy money for books we really want. grin.gif

Edited by johnenock

Definite printing/color error. Seen some copies with it, some without. Just my observation but without it seems "rarer".

Both my copies have the pink printing...

Jim

I love hearing about great finds... but sometimes it isn't about the money...

OK, here's an example. "I paid too much for this book but I never see it around. For me, it's a great find, and puts me one step closer in my collection."

I'd bet some people would react and say I paid too much and was stupid. Why? Because you'd rather take more gambles on some of these auctions? To each their own.

Taking the WWT in account--yes greggy overpaid, but if he is happy with the book, why mock him for it (yes I know greggy is a regular target, but that's beside the point). There are different ways to collect and everyone's goals are different--there's no need to push our way of collecting as the "Best".

Bass-OF-you are both swell guys. Not knocking you at all. thumbsup2.gif

Now, I'm off to get a sweet deal on some cheap 30 cent variants foreheadslap.gif

no offense guys, but I don't need to hear how great you are in getting deals. I've been on both sides. I've paid dearly for a book I've wanted, and I've bought raw and made thousands in profit in books I didn't want. This type of talk drips of 'we are better collectors because' and I'd rather stay clear of that if possible.

I follow a simple rule, I talk about things that I want to hear about in turn. Personally, I am bored to tears when people post their 9.6s and 9.8 and whatever HG books they just paid 5x guide for. I don't recongnize a difference in 9.4 and up and I don't think there is anything at all special about a 9.6 over a 9.4. However, I don't criticize people for posting about the things they are interested in. I like talking to Bass and others and comparing deals. That's part of the fun for me, just as buying high grade is part of the fun for you. When you get right down to it, the number on the plastic has as little to do with enjoying the book itself as sharing an auction where you paid 10% of guide. I don't think being a cagey buyer smacks nearly as much of superiority as those who look down on 9.0 and under (not directed at you). confused-smiley-013.gif

No offense taken Sterl, but I don't really see any of the "we are better collectors because" kind of talk you are referring to. I agree that any kind of comic snobbery or "my way is better than your way" or "my comics are better than your comics" is completely annoying and I'd rather not hear it. BUT, all we are talking about are our own personal buying strategies, what we like to do and not do, how, where and etc. Although I wouldn't buy books like some others buy books, I'm glad there are all kinds of buyers out there. Reason being, that IF you are in it to make money you can weave in and out of the buying low and selling high dealers/collectors.

With that said, yes it sounds like I'm doing this for the money. Not so, I'm not getting rich and I'm not paying my mortgage or bills with flipping profits. But I am making enough money to buy more comics. And I buy more comics 'cuz I really love those dang things. Buying them is half the fun and I never turn right around and sell them anyway. They get sold when I move on to new interests and genres. So yeah, making a few bucks is cool, but it is more about the love of comic books than the profit, just nice when you can have both (and easier to justify to the wife all this time and money I spend crazy.gif).

OF--BasGman: You guys are great, don't get me wrong. I know why you do what you do--no need to rehash. By the same token, you guys know I'm out not to make money but to amass a kick-arse high grade collection. Two different goals and objectives.

It strikes a nerve with me when I get comments like 27_laughing.gif and "I wouldn't buy from him" comments in regards to high dollar spending from collectors that just want a high grade book. Not everyone fits the mold you guys collect in, just be a little sensitive on that moving forward. M'kay?

I still am amazed at all of the cool stuff you guys amass and at the prices. I'm jealous of those kinda bargains, cause they come too few and far between. Perhaps I'm limited on patience. flowerred.gif

On the flip side, I can look at my high grade collection when it is over and see what an accomplishment that was done, especially since a few people said it was going to be very difficult to accomplish.

I just came back from a local comic store in the town I'm consulting in and FINALLY found a HOM 233 that should grade at least 9.4 along with a WWT 59 that looks like a 9.6--All for $15. Darthdiesel got me hooked on price variant collecting and picked up two today--supacheap. A good day for the Sterlingmeister.