• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,920 posts in this topic

Nice books. Do you have a scan of the 9.6 Weird War 13. I love that book cloud9.gif

Also hows your Forbidden Tales 10. Do you want to get rid of your 9.4 now?

Edited by Rip

This series always deserved to become an ongoing title IMHO. The talent that was compiled into these issues was astounding. Just read the credits at the top of each issue to get the feel. Overstreet doesn't give any extra info on this series and I always wondered if these stories were extras left over from canceled (or soon to be) titles. Anyone know if this might be the case? Was it just too late in the Bronze age for this type of book to find a fan base, any thoughts?

1059706-TimeWarp%231.jpg

589a8c42d1b7e_1059706-TimeWarp1.jpg.c48fbf26494053ea82aa41672cf4640d.jpg

This series always deserved to become an ongoing title IMHO. The talent that was compiled into these issues was astounding. Just read the credits at the top of each issue to get the feel. Overstreet doesn't give any extra info on this series and I always wondered if these stories were extras left over from canceled (or soon to be) titles. Anyone know if this might be the case? Was it just too late in the Bronze age for this type of book to find a fan base, any thoughts?

Jay, I don't believe Time Warp was a vehicle to use up inventory horror stories. Instead, I think it was an attempt to cash in on the Star Wars fad, but DC hedged its bets by making it dark SF rather than space opera (hoping for the crossover appeal to horror fans that you note). In fact I think Time Warp's cancellation created inventory SF stories that were used up by the later (also abortive) revival of Mystery in Space, and eventually in the remaining horror anthologies such as Unexpected.

But there was some great stuff published in those few issues. My favorites were a handful of stories written by J. M. De Matteis (my first exposure to his work) and drawn by Tom Sutton.

Jay, I don't believe Time Warp was a vehicle to use up inventory horror stories. Instead, I think it was an attempt to cash in on the Star Wars fad, but DC hedged its bets by making it dark SF rather than space opera (hoping for the crossover appeal to horror fans that you note). In fact I think Time Warp's cancellation created inventory SF stories that were used up by the later (also abortive) revival of Mystery in Space, and eventually in the remaining horror anthologies such as Unexpected.

But there was some great stuff published in those few issues. My favorites were a handful of stories written by J. M. De Matteis (my first exposure to his work) and drawn by Tom Sutton.

Interesting, I did notice in my Overstreet that it says Time Warp story in issue 210 of Unexpected. I'm not so sure that the "space opera" approach would have fared any better in an anthology format book either. Going for the horror crossover probably was the best bet at the time hence the subtitle "Doomsday tales and other things". Other meaning the horror elements I would think.

BTW: the Sutton art is some of my favorite in these books also! thumbsup2.gif

Eh, i have a copy of this book:

I know, i know, nobody care... sorry.gif

Your scan looks much nicer. thumbsup2.gif

BTW - thanks Arch for cleaning up this thread. BIG thumbsup2.gif!!!

I'll post a couple reviews soon.

I know his scan looks nicer. I am trying to learn how to use my scanner, so thanks for pointing that out. tongue.gif

Your scan looks much nicer. thumbsup2.gif.

I know his scan looks nicer. I am trying to learn how to use my scanner, so thanks for pointing that out. tongue.gif

You can save face by starting a poll thread about who is the biggest scan snob.

Then, you can slowly reveal hints that implicate me. tongue.gif

Nice books. Do you have a scan of the 9.6 Weird War 13. I love that book cloud9.gif

Tons of CGC copies have surfaced lately (at least 3)...purchased this raw from bobcat.

by request

1060596-weirdwartales_013_cgc_9_6_white_0134816008_a.jpg

Also hows your Forbidden Tales 10. Do you want to get rid of your 9.4 now?

I'll get back to you, but I do have duplicates.

1060596-weirdwartales_013_cgc_9_6_white_0134816008_a.jpg.14fa1a36ff23ac87f2c89d6fa5718140.jpg

I'll post a couple reviews soon.

One comment (or several as I continue editing) on that. I haven't made any final decisions yet, but I'm entertaining the notion of storing this stuff on a database server accessible via the web. I know a lot of content is redundant as comics.org has issue title information, artists, etc. but I'm also looking at storing the art as well as reviews. Obviously having a focussed effort on horror is a plus for those with this interest. Having participants rate the stories, etc is something else I'm looking at....some interaction with the audience is a good thing. I'm still (and always) soliciting feedback as to how to make this a worthwhile and entertaining venture.

Investigating the whereabouts of the talented team which produced these tales is another option...getting interviews maybe? would be interesting....

As we review more stories I suspect we'll have to revisit past stories because our knowledge of the story types, etc. will increase over time. I've forgotten stories I read growing up, so actually being a reader participant will be a much needed breath of fresh air after all of these CGC high grade hijinks. I'm hitting the reboot button on what is fun for me and it isn't always just the high grade copy chasing or just admiring the front cover.