• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Summer Grading Woes

9 posts in this topic

Actual time for a 40 day turn around.

Wow, after 59 (business) days, I finally have scheduled for grading in my status for 3 lots of my books I submitted back on March 28th. When I called to inquire about the delay they said they are running aprox. 2 weeks or 10 business days behind schedule. But, out of all that is bad in waiting for my books to be graded, there is a silver lining.

I recently submitted 2 higher end silver age comics to be signed by Stan Lee back in March of this year. One being a excellent copy of FF#1 it was a 7.5 graded before the signature and my gamble paid off and it kept it's grade of 7.5.

The second book surprised me a bit more than the the FF keeping it's grade,as it was submitted as a 5.5 purple label book with slight color touch. It was a Avengers #4 and my father had it signed by Jack Kirby on the inside cover back in the mid 80's. Sadly CGC will not cert. the signature since they were not in business back in the 80's and have to visually see the person sign the book to get the yellow label. But, I thought it would be cool to have Stan sign this book as well. When I went to pick the book up at CGC in Sarasota, the restoration grade was dropped completely, and I now have a complete yellow label (no purple at all), with a note stating Jack Kirby writing on 1st page. I never changed anything to the book, and submitted the book in the purple case that it was originally issued to me the 1st time I had it submitted. Just a question does this happen alot? Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this? Interesting story and well worth the waiting game if so.....

See more journals by bigcoolredhead

It would really be good if CGC finds a way to make their standard ~40-day service delivery times more rateable. I've sent in a total of 9 batch submissions to CGC over the last 2 years or so, roughly 3/4 were delayed. I'm sure there are ways for CGC to get this done - i.e. hire more researchers/graders/scanners/slabbers- but then again I imagine it would result in incremental costs to CGC which it would probably try and recover somehow in increased fees, unless the business is growing materially enough to warrant the additional service level without upping charges. I wonder if they can come up with a hybrid solution, e.g. hire part time graders during peak convention season who'd simultaneously be willing to commit to not participate in the buying/selling slabs business say for a year, etcetera.

Re: yellow label, first time I heard of this, thats really cool! Seems more like the exception rather than the rule though, in this case it appears CGC was able to somehow authenticate the signature without visually witnessing which of course wouldn't be impossible, but makes one wonder why they can't do this for more books and where'how CGC would draw the line in cases like these.

This is a reply to Triskelion,

I agree with CGC hiring additional people during the busy season, but also feel that this may compromise CGC grading standards.

That being said my case of a purple label changing to a regular yellow label is something I have never heard of from any of my friends and people I know in the comic business locally. I don't know if it was a mistake when they printed my label, or something wasn't done in the grading process. Guess it goes to show that no grading service can be 100% on there grades.

As for you last comment about the Jack Kirby signature. It was not authenticated, just he Stan Lee signature was authenticated. There was just a note under the title of the book that says, slight color touch/Jack Kirby written on 1st page(the main reason also it probably got a 5.5 grade and not a 7.0 or 6.0 grade). Could the signature originally been seen as a restoration? But, at least I know it is the real deal. Plus I am in no rush to be rid of this great key issue.

Thanks again for the comments!

I would post before and after photos, but can see to upload photos......

That seems a little crazy that the purple label would have anything to do with the signature unless it was placed somewhere to cover a blemish (which doesn't sound like the case at all with your book)? Did the label indicate where the color touch was applied (ie. on the cover or inside the book)?

Response to BorderlineHoarder,

They didn't indicate were the color touch was on the purple label or the new signature label. I really think they just forgot to give me a purple signature label, as it still says it has a color touch. But, I don't want to dig too deep, because I don't want to go back to the purple label.

Wish I could figure out how to post the before and after photos....

Any ideas, anyone??

If the label still reads "slight color touch", it's just an error from CGC's side - they mistakenly gave you a yellow label instead of the correct purple/yellow one.

If I were you, I'd contact CGC to get this fixed - this book is restored and should be in the correct CGC holder.

They didn't indicate were the color touch was on the purple label or the new signature label. I really think they just forgot to give me a purple signature label, as it still says it has a color touch. But, I don't want to dig too deep, because I don't want to go back to the purple label.

The book has color touch - that CGC mistakenly gave it the wrong label doesn't negate this.

Don't be a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed and try to hide the fact that this book should be in a purple/yellow CGC holder.

Maybe I should call CGC up and let them know they graded all my books wrong, and I only deserve lower graded books.

What? You have a restored book that has the wrong coloured label, who said anything about a lower grade? You've admitted yourself it was a mistake on CGC's part so why not get it fixed? Or does it make you feel better that the stigma of a purple label has disappeared?