• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade my X-men #1....

24 posts in this topic

http://www.cyrstudio.com/x/xfront.html

Hi! I'm new to the forum. Thinking about slabbing my X-men #1 and was curious to know what I might expect for a grade. The inside pages have no tears or rips and is complete. The page color is probably cream to off-white but I have no form of reference to guide by. The rest is self evident. Thanks for any input!

My "guess": a solid 4.0

I'm not an expert on lower grade books, so I'll second your 4.0.

Of should I fourth your 2.0?

Wow maybe some has 5 copies in 9.0 or did they say 9 copies in 5.0.

I want my letter grades back. confused.gif

No chipping??????? There is chipping and pre-chipping on the top of the book, front and back. Especially the back.

The good: There's no chipping!!! I consider the top of the book being "overhang" effect.

The bad: The front and back seem a tad "dirty". Can you clean with wonder bread?

My "guess": a solid 4.0

A question for Calamerica. You are definetly one of the toughest graders on the boards (though I have on occaison agreed with you), and I was wondering if you generally find CGC's grading satisfactory?

Strongly disagree on the restoration. I've had the book for 20 years and opened it once before I got it (have since examined it a few days ago). My old LCS dealer was the most honorable person I knew (sinced passed on due to illness), and was a real good friend. When the book came in, it was part of a large collection: complete run of the old X-men and Fantastic Four. I know this cause I was there when the collection came in out of the guy's dusty old box (hence the condition). The dealer was nice enough to give me first crack at the x-men #1 but had already promised the FF #1 to someone else. As far as the staple is concerned, if you were able to see the centerfold where the staples are, there is absolutely no tampering whatsoever. Thanks to everyone for their honest opinions!

Hello. Pleased to meet you here on this great Forum.

A question for Calamerica. You are definetly one of the toughest graders on the boards (though I have on occaison agreed with you), and I was wondering if you generally find CGC's grading satisfactory?

To answer your Q, yes, I almost always agree w. CGC grading. I have phoned Mr. Borock and inquired about a few books and he was happy to read me the "notes" they keep via the bar code on each label. I hope this is a satisfactory answer to your Q.

CAL

According to the OGG, you can replace staples with "vintage" staples all the way from VF up to 9.4, and you can replace a staple with any staple (vintage or not) up to 6.0. (OGG page 164.)

But even though OGG considers vintage staple replacement to be acceptable up to NM, CGC gives the green Qualified label to replaced staples. If the book has had any color touch, cleaning, etc., in addition to staple replacement, then it gets a PLOD.

Phantom Lady GLOD (staples replaced)

Mystic Comics PLOD (staples replaced plus other resto)

Hulk #1 GLOD (staples replaced)

Would it? According to Overstreet, you are allowed to replace staples up to the VG grade, right?

Strongly disagree on the restoration. I've had the book for 20 years and opened it once before I got it (have since examined it a few days ago). My old LCS dealer was the most honorable person I knew (sinced passed on due to illness), and was a real good friend. When the book came in, it was part of a large collection: complete run of the old X-men and Fantastic Four. I know this cause I was there when the collection came in out of the guy's dusty old box (hence the condition). The dealer was nice enough to give me first crack at the x-men #1 but had already promised the FF #1 to someone else. As far as the staple is concerned, if you were able to see the centerfold where the staples are, there is absolutely no tampering whatsoever. Thanks to everyone for their honest opinions!

It is hard to tell if it has been replaced or not from a scan but it does appear to have had something done to it. It looks at least it has been cleaned and its positioning is slightly off ( that is not always an indication of replacement though.) The bottom staple is rusted on the outside and possible all the way around. The upper staple does not have rust on the outside and appears to possibly have a little rust on the inner side. The paper where the upper staple went through has rust marks but that staple appears to have very little rust. It is hard to tell that they are the same size because the cover has slightly pulled away from the staples and I think it is covering the edge of the upper staple. The other members were correct, I was wrong in saying restored - it would be qualified if it has been replaced. You are right that I would have to see the centerfold and take a closer look so I would have to defer to your inspection. How do you account for the difference in the rust? I would still give it a 2.5 but it is still a nice book if you got a good deal for it

Phantom Lady GLOD (staples replaced)

Mystic Comics PLOD (staples replaced plus other resto)

Hulk #1 GLOD (staples replaced)

Great prices on those books, I wish I'd been paying attention when that Phantom Lady was auctioned. I'll have to keep my eyes open for staple relaced GLODs.

I don't think that a cleaner staple necessarily implies a replaced staple. I've seen numerous examples of comics where the top staple is cleaner than the bottom. Don't know why this is, but I don't think it always means it's been cleaned or replaced.

To me, the apparent extra holes on the spine near the top staple make me think "replaced", but you'd really have to check the centerfold.

In any case, I think VG- 3.5 just for general wear. Structurally sound, a perfect reader. thumbsup2.gif