• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern forum turning into a speculation ...... ????

43 posts in this topic

Ok, so I can't remember who it was but someone posted (what I thought was a good thread) about the modern forum turning into a speculators forum on modern releases and there was a host more of it.

I thought it was a good post and I was replying to it and when I hit the send button it told me the thread had been deleted!!!

Why??? It was a good thread!

Anyway, I've had several beers, my team just lot a playoff and I'm not in a good mood so I'm going to post my reply and maybe we'll start off a discussion or not.

=============

Modern books for me fall into two categories.

1) Batman & Detective Comics, bought on a monthly basis and never read, just there to continue the run cause I am a completist.

2) The books I "do" read. Mostly Image titles, but I don't collect them. Where as 10 years ago the books I read would then be bagged & boarded and thrown in the attic, these days I don't have the space to keep them. So as soon as I read them I put them on eBay, 9 times out of 10 they sell for what I paid and that then pays for next weeks comics, sometimes I do make a nice profit but that's not why I buy them.

Speculation on new books is a gamble, I missed out on Walking Dead because I was out of comics at that point (only buying Tec & Bat), but if I had been reading back then I would have bought Walking Dead, read it and stored it. That would have been a nice book to have had and then to sell, I'd rather have a 9.2 Batman #183 then a 9.8 Walking Dead #1.

I nearly got in at the right time with Chew, which I "did" order but for some reason I got stuck with a 2nd print.

Speculation on moderns? Nah, not for me. If I make a profit on something I read and enjoyed then bonus.

Anyway, I've had several beers, my team just lot a playoff and I'm not in a good mood so I'm going to post my reply and maybe we'll start off a new thread.

Can't believe Swansea made it to the Premiership. What is the world coming to???

In answer to your ramble, I see no reason for speculation and collection to happily co-exist. My "Core" collection is copper UXMs but that doesn't stop me from taking a punt on an issue for a quick ( Or not so quick) punt. I've recently been turning a tidy profit on Grimm Fairy tales which is comfortably subsidizing a duplicate, slabbed copper UXM run.

I've only recently (after collecting comics for about 25 years) started buying duplicates. I'll never stop reading my floppies and if a well stored backup can cover the cost of my pull list then why the devil not?

I agree speculation is a gamble which more often rhan not doesn't yield a great return but the feeling when you pull a 9.8 New Mutants 98 out of storage and sit and watch the bids roll in is one of the great aspects of this hobby.

Ok, so I can't remember who it was but someone posted (what I thought was a good thread) about the modern forum turning into a speculators forum on modern releases and there was a host more of it.

I thought it was a good post and I was replying to it and when I hit the send button it told me the thread had been deleted!!!

Anyway, I've had several beers, my team just lot a playoff and I'm not in a good mood so I'm going to post my reply and maybe we'll start off a discussion or not.

=============

1) Detective Comics, bought on a monthly basis and never read, just there to continue the run cause I am a completist.

aside from the never read part, this is me. i got every issue of detective from 494, and about 130 issues before that.

That was me from this morning. I was having a very Jerry Maguire moment at the keyboard. Normally, I try not to write something that might offend someone after posting it (I usually review stuff for a thread idea for a week). But, I woke up this morning with this idea for this thread and went with it... for six minutes(before deleting it out fear, that someone would take it the wrong way). But, I'm glad someone caught it and thought positive of it. It's something that has been bothering me for a few months now as I see collectors with a low income remain unfocused with graded books and just spin in circles in the hobby trying to build sets with every new 'hot' book and go nowhere in the process.

Dude, seriously it was a good thread....

I was annoyed you deleted it! lol

But your right, I think I what happened with me is I started trying to collect all the back issues of Walking Dead once I read the first trade obviously number 1 was going for big money at the time and I never did get one of those.

Other then Batman, the only comic I collect is Hack/Slash and The Boys, but that's because I read them on a monthly basis but I also like the Hack/Slash artwork.

Chew is the example for me, a fantastic quirky series but really, $500 for #1 in 9.9? I'd rather buy a FN- Batman #100.

=============

1) Batman & Detective Comics, bought on a monthly basis and never read, just there to continue the run cause I am a completist.

2) The books I "do" read. Mostly Image titles, but I don't collect them. Where as 10 years ago the books I read would then be bagged & boarded and thrown in the attic, these days I don't have the space to keep them. So as soon as I read them I put them on eBay, 9 times out of 10 they sell for what I paid and that then pays for next weeks comics, sometimes I do make a nice profit but that's not why I buy them.

Speculation on new books is a gamble, I missed out on Walking Dead because I was out of comics at that point (only buying Tec & Bat), but if I had been reading back then I would have bought Walking Dead, read it and stored it. That would have been a nice book to have had and then to sell, I'd rather have a 9.2 Batman #183 then a 9.8 Walking Dead #1.

I nearly got in at the right time with Chew, which I "did" order but for some reason I got stuck with a 2nd print.

Speculation on moderns? Nah, not for me. If I make a profit on something I read and enjoyed then bonus.

Did you say that speculators were evil?

That was me from this morning. I was having a very Jerry Maguire moment at the keyboard. Normally, I try not to write something that might offend someone after posting it (I usually review stuff for a thread idea for a week). But, I woke up this morning with this idea for this thread and went with it... for six minutes(before deleting it out fear, that someone would take it the wrong way). But, I'm glad someone caught it and thought positive of it. It's something that has been bothering me for a few months now as I see collectors with a low income remain unfocused with graded books and just spin in circles in the hobby trying to build sets with every new 'hot' book and go nowhere in the process.

I didn't see Jerel's original post, but I'll chim in from what been posted so far.

YES, the modern forum is visited by speculators. I don't know people's eBay names to confirm it for sure. But when a book is discussed positively here (especially in the modern speculation thread) it makes a spike on eBay.

When a new thread is started about a modern comic, I often wonder if the original poster has stocked up and is posting here before selling on eBay. :eyeroll:

As for being unfocused with building sets. Jerel, not everyone wants to build a complete registry set of one series. Income could have nothing to do with it. Maybe their unofficial set is a collection of #1's? Or 1st appearances of characters? (shrug)

If you click on my sets, that's exactly what you'll see. I have no desire to buy a complete collection of one title in CGC 9.8+. Just not my goal. Has nothing to do with income.

When a new thread is started about a modern comic, I often wonder if the original poster has stocked up and is posting here before selling on eBay. :eyeroll:

This happens more often then not and it's not only new series. Don't ever believe the hype although that's easy to say. It is not only single sellers either but small groups hyping a title here and even false sales on eBay. Sad but true. :P

This happens more often then not and it's not only new series. Don't ever believe the hype although that's easy to say. It is not only single sellers either but small groups hyping a title here and even false sales on eBay. Sad but true. :P

Jeff, it's nice to hear that someone else has these suspicions too. Sometimes I think I'm just being paranoid.

I've seen eBay sales discussed here and wondered if the sale was legit, or if it was a false sale to set a GPA price. Or when a particular book passes around here between friends multiple times at a crazy price I begin to wonder if the sales are legit too.

Of course I can't prove anything, but sometimes the old Spider-sense tingles. lol

remain unfocused with graded books and just spin in circles in the hobby trying to build sets with every new 'hot' book and go nowhere in the process.

Which is exactly what I started doing with TWD and Chew, throw in Preacher and TTB for good measure and it all became impossible on top of trying to sustain a Batman and 'Tec collection going.

Great point Jerel. (thumbs u

Did you say that speculators were evil?

(shrug)

I'd like to believe talk here boosts sales on eBay... if thats the case, may I saw that Suicide Fores, Haunt #11-15, The Last Zombie #1-5 and Garrison #1-6 are steller reads, the prices are going up and you need to buy them NOW!

:jokealert:

I tend to think that books that are 'hyped' here and do become a hit on eBay just happen to be hot books in general, however long or short the shelf life of the hype. I seriously doubt this part of the CGC forum influences the comic buying public across the world.

That's not to say that threads aren't started to get some get some hyperbole built up though, because they are.

Dear god, you are funny sometimes. Loath though I am to admit it. :)