• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern forum turning into a speculation ...... ????

43 posts in this topic

So as soon as I read them I put them on eBay, 9 times out of 10 they sell for what I paid and that then pays for next weeks comics, sometimes I do make a nice profit but that's not why I buy them.

------------------

Really? You sell random moderns for cover or close to on ebay? Or do you pay 5 cents a pop for your new books?

So as soon as I read them I put them on eBay, 9 times out of 10 they sell for what I paid and that then pays for next weeks comics, sometimes I do make a nice profit but that's not why I buy them.

------------------

Really? You sell random moderns for cover or close to on ebay? Or do you pay 5 cents a pop for your new books?

I pay cover price for mine, I buy them from my LCS.

Here's some recent examples:

R.P.M. #1-4 sold for less

Echoes #1-5 sold for what I paid

After Dark #1-3 sold for less

Crossed Family Values #1-7 sold for alot more

Raise the Dead 2 #1-4 sold for what I paid

We Will Bury You #1-4 sold for less

American Vampire #6-11 sold for what I paid

The Terminator 1984 #1-3 sold for what I paid

The Terminator 2029 #1-3 sold for less

The stuff like:

Dead Romeo #1-6

Devil #1-4

Garrison #1-6

Just can't give it away.

That was me from this morning. I was having a very Jerry Maguire moment at the keyboard. Normally, I try not to write something that might offend someone after posting it (I usually review stuff for a thread idea for a week). But, I woke up this morning with this idea for this thread and went with it... for six minutes(before deleting it out fear, that someone would take it the wrong way). But, I'm glad someone caught it and thought positive of it. It's something that has been bothering me for a few months now as I see collectors with a low income remain unfocused with graded books and just spin in circles in the hobby trying to build sets with every new 'hot' book and go nowhere in the process.

I didn't see Jerel's original post, but I'll chim in from what been posted so far.

YES, the modern forum is visited by speculators. I don't know people's eBay names to confirm it for sure. But when a book is discussed positively here (especially in the modern speculation thread) it makes a spike on eBay.

When a new thread is started about a modern comic, I often wonder if the original poster has stocked up and is posting here before selling on eBay. :eyeroll:

As for being unfocused with building sets. Jerel, not everyone wants to build a complete registry set of one series. Income could have nothing to do with it. Maybe their unofficial set is a collection of #1's? Or 1st appearances of characters? (shrug)

If you click on my sets, that's exactly what you'll see. I have no desire to buy a complete collection of one title in CGC 9.8+. Just not my goal. Has nothing to do with income.

Yeah, it was another reason why I deleted the thread yesterday morning. I felt I wasn't clear enough in my post, so people who don't build completely graded Registry Sets or respected sellers on here would be insulted. Not my intention whatsoever. From what I have seen, with focuses, quite a few folks starting to build graded sets from Walking Dead to Chews to anything else, get swayed off to focus to Cursed Pirate Girl to whatever is hot at the moment and wind up with Skull Kickers, I feel it's something that should have been addressed, by someone more important than me here long ago, myself. I've bought into the speculation on Stumptown to Choker and wound getting rid of graded books that hurt my comic budget. But, I'm a nobody here. A half baked n00bie. But, I care. The trouble is I didn't know how to fix this problem, other than discuss it first, with my friends and fellow collectors here. To me speculating on graded books is very dangerous to a family budget, when there is a constant shift of focus with everything that comes along. I was only trying to help by addressing a potential issue. :(

Great point Jerel. (thumbs u

I tend to think that books that are 'hyped' here and do become a hit on eBay just happen to be hot books in general, however long or short the shelf life of the hype. I seriously doubt this part of the CGC forum influences the comic buying public across the world.

That's not to say that threads aren't started to get some get some hyperbole built up though, because they are.

Thanks Gav. :)

Being the smallest example in the universe to use here is...

I posted that Doc Who Classics #2 and Cory Doctorow #4 were Locke & Key's first preview books in the appreciation thread. I sat on this imfo for yeeeeaaaarrrrrssss, knowing someone would jack up prices on them if they believed me. Once I graded my copies and gave the extras to my friends they have been popping up for sale for premiums(not from my friends). Sure enough for months after, I've been watching sales go from $20 on them. I saw a raw Cory book go for $40 even. These were just advertisements! I see this exact thing with others too. But, it's an unintended consequence to discussing stuff on here. How much did I make make for my extras? $0 and I feel richer they went to loving fans.

people should speculate on my books. at least i'd be putting the money back into my books or buying books from the boards
Your books move pretty well. :baiting:

If I didn't practically inherit some of my father's things, I would have kept them for a custom set. Things being sorted through take up alot of space. But, I found a worthy fan who wanted them. As of now, I feel I don't need alot of everything. But, that's been me for a year or so.

people should speculate on my books. at least i'd be putting the money back into my books or buying books from the boards

If I didn't practically inherit some of my father's things, I would have kept them for a custom set. Things being sorted through take up alot of space. But, I found a worthy fan who wanted them. As of now, I feel I don't need alot of everything. But, that's been me for a year or so.

who did buy them? i never found out...

You'll have to keep speculating. :devil:

dammit jerel i'm a writer not a mind reader!

Yeah, it was another reason why I deleted the thread yesterday morning. I felt I wasn't clear enough in my post, so people who don't build completely graded Registry Sets or respected sellers on here would be insulted. Not my intention whatsoever. From what I have seen, with focuses, quite a few folks starting to build graded sets from Walking Dead to Chews to anything else, get swayed off to focus to Cursed Pirate Girl to whatever is hot at the moment and wind up with Skull Kickers, I feel it's something that should have been addressed, by someone more important than me here long ago, myself. I've bought into the speculation on Stumptown to Choker and wound getting rid of graded books that hurt my comic budget. But, I'm a nobody here. A half baked n00bie. But, I care. The trouble is I didn't know how to fix this problem, other than discuss it first, with my friends and fellow collectors here. To me speculating on graded books is very dangerous to a family budget, when there is a constant shift of focus with everything that comes along. I was only trying to help by addressing a potential issue. :(

Speculate on those comics that you enjoy. Jumping on everything that is hot but not really hot is a fool's game. I purchase titles (including #1's) if the story looks like something I would enjoy. If it gets hot then great but even better is a good read that I pay cover for :)

oh yeah, one book to speculate on that is coming out later this year.....

cuaderno de bocetos de los muertos

the cover alone is going to be worth it....i went and got me a veteran of comics to do the cover.....

only from dmc....

heh

Great point Jerel. (thumbs u

I tend to think that books that are 'hyped' here and do become a hit on eBay just happen to be hot books in general, however long or short the shelf life of the hype. I seriously doubt this part of the CGC forum influences the comic buying public across the world.

That's not to say that threads aren't started to get some get some hyperbole built up though, because they are.

Thanks Gav. :)

Being the smallest example in the universe to use here is...

I posted that Doc Who Classics #2 and Cory Doctorow #4 were Locke & Key's first preview books in the appreciation thread. I sat on this imfo for yeeeeaaaarrrrrssss, knowing someone would jack up prices on them if they believed me. Once I graded my copies and gave the extras to my friends they have been popping up for sale for premiums(not from my friends). Sure enough for months after, I've been watching sales go from $20 on them. I saw a raw Cory book go for $40 even. These were just advertisements! I see this exact thing with others too. But, it's an unintended consequence to discussing stuff on here. How much did I make make for my extras? $0 and I feel richer they went to loving fans.

This only bugs me when sellers use the registry to pimp their books. Thankfully there are alot of collectors here that prefer a registry that does not include every book with a reference to another title.

oh yeah, one book to speculate on that is coming out later this year.....

cuaderno de bocetos de los muertos

the cover alone is going to be worth it....i went and got me a veteran of comics to do the cover.....

only from dmc....

heh

SS copies please :)

And some universals ;)

and the best part is, it's only going to be $2, 24 pages of the dead, for $2. and then a week after that i will re-release that as cuaderno de bocetos de los muertos

weekly to bring in "new readers" and charge $5 each

Let's just say it was bought for a rich couple's son named Gunther(who is a fan of DMP) in Rhode Island.

Let's just say it was bought for a rich couple's son named Gunther(who is a fan of DMP) in Rhode Island.

hm no idea (shrug)

Speculate on those comics that you enjoy. Jumping on everything that is hot but not really hot is a fool's game. I purchase titles (including #1's) if the story looks like something I would enjoy. If it gets hot then great but even better is a good read that I pay cover for :)

(thumbs u