• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern forum turning into a speculation ...... ????

43 posts in this topic

I'm going to take the other side of the argument because everyone seems to be getting behind this thread, which is a no brainer really, without expressing the opposing opinion.

Comic speculation is something we ALL do because we all hope to get in on the next Chew, the next Walking Dead or.. stick with me on this.. the next Amazing Spider-Man #1. It's human nature to want to be in on the ground floor of something that is potentially so big. Isn't this what IPO's in the stock market is all about? Or even stock options in companies before they go public?

In fact, it is SO ingrain into the American mind set that the old price guide, Wizard, use to sell magazines based on nothing more than the next biggest, hottest thing. And you know what? Many of us here on these forums bought that magazine specifically for that one reason. Oh, and I'm sure some of the members here didn't partake in the 90's speculation bubble or at least will deny it for the sake of not looking stupid amongst their peers but it happened.

My believe is that speculation is fun as long as those participating understand that 99% of those speculations will never come close to any type of fruitation. But those 1%ers make us feel like it was all worth it. Those who bought Walking Dead #1 because someone talked about it on this forum way back in the day are now walking on cloud 9. And that's what we all live for as collectors isn't it? That the storyline will be amazing and we're able to resale the book for phat cash in order to buy more comics. A vicious cycle but a fun one none the less.

Now I understand the nature that speculation is often annoying and many people take advantage here with "tips" when really they are hoping to line their own pockets. Imagine that... But just because you don't enjoy buying books based on speculation doesn't mean other collectors don't enjoy that very thing.

So there is my defense. Let the flaming begin! :flamed:

I agree...I'm more likely to try something with some buzz because if I dont care for it I can sell it for a little bit extra instead of for a dollar like most everything else. If the hype gets too high I will sell even stuff I collect because I know I can pick it up in a few months for less than I sold it for.

I mostly just want to read good comics, sometimes speculation leads you to something new and some profit. No harm in that.