• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I appreciate the stories of yesteryear

14 posts in this topic

I gotta tell you. Today I was at barnes and Noble and noticed that Volume 2 of thier exclusive reprintings of old Amazing Spider-Man issues was out. This Marvel Masterwork edition had Amazing Spiderman 11-19 plus Annual #1 inside.

I bought it and read issues 11 and 12....and I gotta tell you, those issues alone are better than all the modern [!@#%^&^] being published today.

I appreciate the stories of yesteryear.....I wish the stories of today were just as good. frown.gif

As a 24 year old going on 25 I gotta tell you....I envy all of you who are old enough to remember picking up these issues as a kid at the local store.

Meanwhile I'm stuck with the childhood memories of the dang clone saga.

I've found myself trying to collect some of the older books just for the stories. I have a good string of old FF books and Avengers books that are in such ragged shape...but the stories are excellent. No doubt about it.

Well, I'm glad to see you appreciate the older stories. I liked them when they came out and it's good to see others enjoying them. Let us know what you think of Annual #1 when you get to it. It's a favorite of mine and I was hooked forever after reading it. smile.gif

Well, I'm glad to see you appreciate the older stories. I liked them when they came out and it's good to see others enjoying them. Let us know what you think of Annual #1 when you get to it. It's a favorite of mine and I was hooked forever after reading it. smile.gif

I'll keep ya updated smile.gif

I hear ya Mein Fruend.

Those back issues are smoking.

You can't compare the originals to the modern,

but the current Stradenski ASM's are pretty sweet too.

A lot better than the slop that was out there a couple of years before modern issue ASM 30.

As far as the clone thing, yep it sucked, but the bronze aged orgin that it bled from was slamming. If you ever get a chance to read ASM 144-149 do so (but on the flip side you might be pissed that they didn't do a good job in bringing it back).

As far as essentials I can't wait for ASM Essentials # 6 this one will have some greats in it- usually each essential is about 20-25 comics so that would be issue 114-137 which would include awesome stories like Hammerhead first, first Hulk vs.Spidey, Death of Green Goblin and Gwen Stacey, First Man-Wolf, First and Second Punisher and the 2nd Green Goblin Harry Osborne. Wow what a Mindnumbin' set!!

This should be out this summer true believers!!

_w

I hear ya Mein Fruend.

Those back issues are smoking.

You can't compare the originals to the modern,

but the current Stradenski ASM's are pretty sweet too.

A lot better than the slop that was out there a couple of years before modern issue ASM 30.

As far as the clone thing, yep it sucked, but the bronze aged orgin that it bled from was slamming. If you ever get a chance to read ASM 144-149 do so (but on the flip side you might be pissed that they didn't do a good job in bringing it back).

As far as essentials I can't wait for ASM Essentials # 6 this one will have some greats in it- usually each essential is about 20-25 comics so that would be issue 114-137 which would include awesome stories like Hammerhead first, first Hulk vs.Spidey, Death of Green Goblin and Gwen Stacey, First Man-Wolf, First and Second Punisher and the 2nd Green Goblin Harry Osborne. Wow what a Mindnumbin' set!!

This should be out this summer true believers!!

_w

The thing I do not like about the ESSENTIALS is that I prefer reading my comics in COLOR. Though Cerebus is the only exception in my mind to that rule.

Well the Essentials help on the pocket $$$.

I own this original set of comics already.

It is just nice to have ashcans such as the Essentials to read and not worry about.

I agree the first 200 Amazing Spidey's should be admired in color, but if you don't have the loot or you haven't been a collector since lord knows when it makes it a little difficult.

Anyhoo, I'm a good guy and I let my buddy's and their kids bum my essentials books and read 'em and trash 'em and I don't lose a wink of sleep because there at $14.95 a pop. smile.gif

_w

It is just nice to have ashcans such as the Essentials to read and not worry about.

I agree the first 200 Amazing Spidey's should be admired in color, but if you don't have the loot or you haven't been a collector since lord knows when it makes it a little difficult.

Anyhoo, I'm a good guy and I let my buddy's and their kids bum my essentials books and read 'em and trash 'em and I don't lose a wink of sleep because there at $14.95 a pop. smile.gif

_w

YES spread the word smile.gif

all kids should read the old marvels and dcs smile.gif

_w

YES spread the word smile.gif

all kids should read the old marvels and dcs smile.gif

This idea could save the comic industry (I had heard somewhere that it was about to crash). Have them read the older stuff, it is much better than most of the [!@#%^&^] out there today.

Also, if you want some totally awesome reading - pick up some early Clarmont x-men (Giant Sized X-men #1 thru the Byrne era issue #143)

All I can say is - this is "Revolutionary Writing" at its' best!!

But again if you can't afford these - X-Men Essentials 1 are 2 nice to have as ashcans and to share. smile.gif

I've found myself trying to collect some of the older books just for the stories. I have a good string of old FF books and Avengers books that are in such ragged shape...but the stories are excellent. No doubt about it.

Amen, bro! Let's hear it for reader copies! smile.gif They help keep my love for comics alive without breaking me financially.

I also don't like the Essentials books because they're not in color. I doubt I'll ever get any of them.

I gotta tell you. Today I was at barnes and Noble and noticed that Volume 2 of thier exclusive reprintings of old Amazing Spider-Man issues was out. This Marvel Masterwork edition had Amazing Spiderman 11-19 plus Annual #1 inside.

I bought it and read issues 11 and 12....and I gotta tell you, those issues alone are better than all the modern [!@#%^&^] being published today.

I appreciate the stories of yesteryear.....I wish the stories of today were just as good. frown.gif

As a 24 year old going on 25 I gotta tell you....I envy all of you who are old enough to remember picking up these issues as a kid at the local store.

Meanwhile I'm stuck with the childhood memories of the dang clone saga.

That's the stuff I grew up with.

Not a rehash of what happend 40 years before then.