• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC UNIVERSE ENDING - AND THEN RESTARTING?!

110 posts in this topic

WooHoo! This means Batwoman #1 in September must be actually happening!

It's not just the renumbering, but the rebooting of the characters as well. Looks like DC had the balls to do what Marvel wouldn't do ten years ago when they launched the Ultimate U.

The problem with the Lee & Johns combo is that Lee won't stick it out past 1 year. And then we'll be left with a second tier artist again

I'd much rather have Tony Daniel on pencils on Batman than Jim Lee.

From what i hear, people have been praising this move by DC.

All I can see worldwide across the web is serious criticism and very very very little praise at all, and what praise there is, has been either condescending or mocking.

Because the whole thing stinks.

The problem with the Lee & Johns combo is that Lee won't stick it out past 1 year. And then we'll be left with a second tier artist again

I'd much rather have Jim Aparo on pencils on Batman than anyone else, but unfortunately, that's not possible anymore.

I'm actually getting a bit excited about this move. Not only did I download comixology to my iPhone (sweet app, by the way) but I'm also interested in reading titles I've always wanted to read but never did.

I'll at least consider picking up a title or two, either digitally or the printed version. Depends on the character/creators combo.

whoa whoa whoa.... Jim Lee is the only person that can best Tony Daniel IMO drawing Batman. Lets calm down there my friend... Only if Daniel goes back to his normal style and not this too messy style. He needs to get someone to ink him and not himself.

whoa whoa whoa.... Jim Lee is the only person that can best Tony Daniel IMO drawing Batman. Lets calm down there my friend... Only if Daniel goes back to his normal style and not this too messy style. He needs to get someone to ink him and not himself.

No, seriously, I would rather see Tony Daniel on Batman than this:

jimleejla.jpg

I'm actually getting a bit excited about this move. Not only did I download comixology to my iPhone (sweet app, by the way) but I'm also interested in reading titles I've always wanted to read but never did.

I'll at least consider picking up a title or two, either digitally or the printed version. Depends on the character/creators combo.

I'm with you Reno, I feel like we are the only two who might actually be somewhat intrigued about this.

I don't read too many DC's, but I can guarantee I'm going to pick up a few titles that I never did before. What I think is key about this is the re-working of the characters. If they were just going back to Number ones's with the same ol' history I wouldn't be interested at all...I always thought Marvel should have just went all the way with it when they started the Ultimate U, and revamped the regular U across the board...maybe if this works out for DC(which it probably won't) we just might see that same thing in the Marvel U.

As a side note, if they are truly, ending the old continuity and beginning fresh, Is Batman going to meeting the Joker for the first time in this new set-up? That could make for some pretty cool reading.

Also, if they do take this all the way and just say "we have told all the stories we are going to tell in the old DC U and we are starting fresh", they could do whatever they want in those last few issues of each book, because it won't matter come September...death of Joker, Lex Luther...heck anybody for that matter. hm

One thing I don't get - if DC are rebooting 52 titles, some of which will be their major players, what about the peripheral titles? If Batman and Detective are being rebooted, what about Batman & Robin and The Dark Knight? Will two titles have one continuity while others have another?

Will Damian still be around or will he be wiped out of Batman continuity? Will he have gone from main continuity and still be around in B&R?

None of this really makes much sense.

One thing I don't get - if DC are rebooting 52 titles, some of which will be their major players, what about the peripheral titles? If Batman and Detective are being rebooted, what about Batman & Robin and The Dark Knight? Will two titles have one continuity while others have another?

Will Damian still be around or will he be wiped out of Batman continuity? Will he have gone from main continuity and still be around in B&R?

None of this really makes much sense.

I think only time will tell how this is all going to play out, but I think it would be in DC's best interest to spill the beans sooner rather than later.

I for one would like to see the DC universe cleaned up a bit. That has always been one of my main problems with trying to get into DC.

If DC is going to do this then go all the way with it. I don't think you can have any co-existing or connection between the two U's, otherwise it will be a TOTAL mess.

Make a clean break.

I was talking to my LCS guy about this whole thing this morning because I wanted to get his take on it. We talked about all kinds of things related to it, but one thing that he mentioned about Batman might give a glimpse as to how this new U is going to play out.

He said another one of his customers did some digging(research I guess)and he had read that in this new U, Thomas Wayne is actually Batman, that Bruce and Bruce's mother were the ones that were killed. I don't know if this is actually going to be the case or not, but if that is the kind of stuff that they will be doing in regards to character origins, then I say everything is up in the air at this point.

Someone also mentioned in another thread that Barbara Gordon is going to be Batgirl, which is an example of a reboot of sorts, not just a new origin.

This is all just here say as far as I know, but this is why I think DC should put it all out there...the more people know, the more they be inclined to take a chance on it.

I'm hoping they have this all planned out and that it'll be a fresh spin on Marvel's Ultimate line. I like the idea of a jumping on point without all the historical baggage. I'll probably focus on buying those titles with great creators and see what happens. As long as they're good stories, I could care less if they destroy continuity or start everything over or whatever. For me, that's what it's all about. Call is elseworlds or a reboot or whatever, if it's a good story, I'm in.

Personally, I think there's been way too little of the "good story" thing of late. Sure, there are great books out there, but the poor-quality books far outnumber the good.

I don't know how long they have been working on this. It is hard to tell, with what was going on with the Batman U and all those new books, it makes it look like they just came up with this...on the other hand, it is obvious to me that this was why Batwoman got delayed yet again, was to wait for this reboot thing. However, they let issue #0 go out in January, so had they thought of this at that point?

Things that make you go hmmm...

Personally, I think there's been way too little of the "good story" thing of late. Sure, there are great books out there, but the poor-quality books far outnumber the good.

And I would agree, but somebody must be buying the poor books for them to keep churning them out.

I'm really excited with this thing...

Yesterday I was like 'Oh no, not again!' but I think it's how they will handle it and not why...

Comic sales are on a downward spiral for years and they needed to shake the tree. This move could be a huge success or a completely mess, it depends on how they'll work on it.

Logic movements + Good creative teams + Character Love = Good Stories

If they want to make a better DC and not only up the sales a little (and then go down again), it's their time. I trust in Geoff Johns.

People can argue and lit the torchs, but If this is not a 10 issue reboot and it's an entire DCU revamp, you can say anything, but they're brave, at least.