• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Q about page quality desirability

12 posts in this topic

I just wanted to see where others stand on this hypothetical question about PQ-

You find for sale a book that's high on your "want list", and it's been CGC'd with a very high grade, *but* the page quality is "Tan to Off-White Pages".

Do you even consider buying the book?

I think it may depend on a couple of factors:

1) some may buy to resell

2) if it is an older (GA type) book then the PQ would not have as much an impact as on an SA book.

For my own proclivities, if it fit in my GA collecting and the price was good I'd probably buy it and break it out to read and then mylar/archival backing board.

Off-White or better.

The book would have to be something that almost is never available, for me to buy a lower page quality (which I have done).

Makes almost no sense to own a 9.2 or better book (i.e. a book with very little defects) and accept lesser page quality.

THAT SAID, I do agree that it's quite possible that some Cream to Off-White books actually have nicer page quality than Off-White books. The problem is, unlike the phrase "buy the book, not the label", we have really no way of knowing if the page quality rating is a bit off.

You find for sale a book that's high on your "want list", and it's been CGC'd with a very high grade, *but* the page quality is "Tan to Off-White Pages".

No. Cream to off-white is the worst page quality I would accept on an otherwise HG book. If it was a low grade book that I really needed, I would be OK with tan pages as long as the price was right.

Maybe, but only if it goes for a lot less than market than a normal copy of the issue in the same grade would go for.

I try to stay away from anything worse than off-white, but I consider COWs if they are rare old Marvels from 63 back and the price is right. grin.gif

If it's a GA I don't worry about PQ as much. But I also don't buy HG. I tend to buy the upper ranges of mid grade. I think my Tec 91 is the only one that has Light Tan to Off white but I paid a little under guide for it too. Since I don't buy very much SA the lowest I'd go now is Off-white.