• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I expect CGC to be way behind in Submission turnarounds this summer?

30 posts in this topic

Got the weekly Mile High Comics mailer. Pretty interesting stuff but specifically...

"While finding a great collection is wonderful, one of the harsh lessons that I have learned from repeated past disappointments is that deriving value from a collection like this one is hard, hard work. For starters, I agreed to pay the owner $80,000 for his comics, right in the middle of my already struggling to try and put together enough moving money to get us into our proposed new warehouse. Because I paid so much, I was able to arrange some measure of time payments on this deal, but effective immediately, the negative cash flow meter on this collection is already running.

As crazy as this may sound, my having to start paying immediately on a deal like this one is actually doubly bad news, as this kind of ultra high grade collection also requires extra special treatment. For starters, it needs to be professionally graded by CGC. That means arranging to safely transport over 25,000 comics to their headquarters in Florida, and then paying them a per book fee to pre-screen out all the issues that have minor flaws. After that task is completed, the real cost begins, as there is an average $18-$20 charge PER COMIC (!) for grading. Even if only 10% of this collection ends up being in high enough condition to justify "slabbing," I am still going be on the hook for at least another $50,000. I honestly think that the real grading cost will exceed $100,000, so I will be (in effect...) needing to pay for this collection twice, before I ever see a dime. Youch! The ultimate payout on this collection will eventually be great, but, in an amazing exercise in irony, the cash flow consequences for the time being are actually almost entirely negative. Sigh.."

Is this the norm. Dealers submitting that many comics at once?

I could prescreen books for them and save them a ton of money on their CGC fees.

Take for instance that last order I bought from them. None of them were NM.

Hey Chuck. Do us a favor and don't send your books to CGC to sort through. You don't have any NM books. :gossip:

I could prescreen books for them and save them a ton of money on their CGC fees.

Hey Chuck. Do us a favor and don't send your books to CGC to sort through. You don't have any NM books. :gossip:

lol

Hey Dennis. :hi:

Hey Gav.Hows things?

Not too bad at all mate. I'll get a PM over tonight, it's been a while. (thumbs u

Hey Chuck. Do us a favor and don't send your books to CGC to sort through. You don't have any NM books.

I just got an order from them and it was all NM; as advertised. I ordered copies of Rio, Rio Rides Again, Destroyer Duck #1, and four graphic novels published by Catalan Communications (three of which were still in their original shrinkwrap). I'm not disputing your experience with them but I haven't had a problem with them aside from slow ship times.

Hey Chuck. Do us a favor and don't send your books to CGC to sort through. You don't have any NM books.

I just got an order from them and it was all NM; as advertised. I ordered copies of Rio, Rio Rides Again, Destroyer Duck #1, and four graphic novels published by Catalan Communications (three of which were still in their original shrinkwrap). I'm not disputing your experience with them but I haven't had a problem with them aside from slow ship times.

Their grading is absurd. I ordered a TTA from them back when I first got back into collecting that was described as VF. Two pages weren't attached. They fell out when I took the book out of the polybag.

They use stock photos of books in their auctions for comics books so the buyer won't know what is about to hit them.

You should go buy a lottery ticket 'cause you are one lucky mofo!

Nothing wrong with Mile High is you're looking for cheap readers (if you can find anything "cheap" on Chuck's site) However, you are kinda playing with fire if you are buying uber HG from him.

lol Nothing like a Chuckles carpet bombing CGC with 25,000 comics. doh!

Luckily, over half of those can be culled by a CGC prescreener at a fever pace without taking them out of the bag.

nm prescreen, so his bill will be $50 plus $3 each for the 24,997 failed books. Right around 50k with a chuck code word added in