• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I expect CGC to be way behind in Submission turnarounds this summer?

30 posts in this topic

Hopefully Chuck grades them all. I used to make a decent return flipping books that they slabbed when they had their 50% off sales in the past. (thumbs u

If Chuck is anticipating that he'll be spending about $100K on slabbing books, why wouldn't CGC send graders and equipment to Mile High and do some on-site grading there? Chuck saves a bit of coin and CGC avoids a backlog.

They'll always be behind....., you with a firm grip on your shoulders......, whispering in your ear about submission..., when it comes to payment time :cool:

Wow, the grading fees are going to cost Chuck more than the entire collection he bought. I'm wondering if Chuck had a reputation as an accurate grader, he could have just sold them raw for a quick return to pay for his warehouse.

Wow, the grading fees are going to cost Chuck more than the entire collection he bought. I'm wondering if Chuck had a reputation as an accurate grader, he could have just sold them raw for a quick return to pay for his warehouse.
Do we know what books he bought?

krap marvels

First part of the email.

"My mind is reeling this morning, as I try to plan out just what to do after a stroke of completely unexpected good fortune came my way yesterday. In a nutshell, I purchased one of the ten best private collections of comics that I have seen in my 41 years in the comics business. It consists of a complete Marvel Comics collection from FANTASTIC FOUR #1-up! The owner of these comics began collecting them in used condition starting with SPIDER-MAN (1963) #28, and filled in his runs backwards by purchasing from comics shows and stores. Those earlier comics average in about Very Good condition, which is pretty typical for a Marvel Comics collection from that time period.

While having mid-grade and lower-grade complete runs of all the early Marvel Comics is nice, it is also a fairly common occurrence. I am offered (mostly) complete Marvel collections on a fairly regular basis, so only cost determines whether, or not, to purchase them. What sets this one collection apart from all the others that I have seen in the past decade, however, is that beginning in 1966, the owner began buying them and placing many of them into plastic bags without ever reading them. As a result, a goodly percentage of the 25,000+ comics in this one amazing collection will grade out above 9.0, with perhaps as many as several hundred grading out in the ultra-rare 9.4-9.6 range. Some of the mid-range issues of key titles like X-MEN, DAREDEVIL, AVENGERS, THOR, CONAN, HULK, SPIDER-MAN, IRON MAN, and FANTASTIC FOUR are in the best condition that I can ever recall seeing. Suffice it to say, this fantastic new collection has me very, very, excited!"