• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Production or faded defect?

6 posts in this topic

I had an XMen #110 that I was showing in the posts that I thought may have been a production flaw because the red colors seemed to have not been present while the blues and black were. Turns out that the red and magenta shades are the first to fade for various reasons. I can't say that is what's going on with your J.I.M., but it looks like the red in Thor's name and cape were faded more than the blue.

Either that or the book on top has been restored with a CT, but I lean toward the faded reds. Hope this helps (thumbs u

Both have been CGC graded universal. The whole book is uniformily faded. I'm guessing it was on display or something. Almost looks like what you see in a lot of Avengers #1. Thx

I think your guess that it was on display is correct. The book is uniformly faded - which is common when someone hangs a book on the wall. It's not just collectors that do this. There are still plenty of dealers hanging books on the wall. After the book has been up a while (you can see the effect in a month) you can actually see an outline on the wall of where the book hung. If the paint on the wall behind the books is cleaner, brighter than paint exposed to the sun - then it's pretty obvious the books are going to suffer as well. At least your faded copy above still looks decent. I've seen worse.

Tony

I think your guess that it was on display is correct. The book is uniformly faded - which is common when someone hangs a book on the wall. It's not just collectors that do this. There are still plenty of dealers hanging books on the wall. After the book has been up a while (you can see the effect in a month) you can actually see an outline on the wall of where the book hung. If the paint on the wall behind the books is cleaner, brighter than paint exposed to the sun - then it's pretty obvious the books are going to suffer as well. At least your faded copy above still looks decent. I've seen worse.

Tony

Quite possible, but I believe this degree of color variation is also quite common among issues of the same book.

Tony

Quite possible, but I believe this degree of color variation is also quite common among issues of the same book.

Agreed - I had two copies of Uncle Scrooge #210 not long after it came out and neither had been on display. One had much better (deeper) colours than the other. It was really striking.