• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My return to comic collecting after 30 years

38 posts in this topic

You've come to a good place to make up for lost time, though. :)

Since joining I've made tremendously rapid progress with my high grade Bronze Age wants list, more than I could possibly have achieved when I started collecting in the late 70s. I think back to what the north of England was like then for getting hold of these comic books and it feels like quite the vacuum, and nothing to continue obsessing about anymore, 30 + years on.

I've had a lot of great experiences here that have helped to compensate for mistakes similar to the ones described in your post, and I hope you find the boards equally constructive.

Got some packages in the mail over the weekend & again today that have put me that much closer to my first real goal of this second round of collecting. My complete run ASM #1 ( 1999 ) to the present. And as I was logging them into my Stashyour comics database, I realized just how good of a start on completing my run of ASM #300s & 400s as well. So that certainly makes me happy.

Just how earlier I can realistically go with my complete run, I haven't decided. We'll have to see I suppose. What with the budget that I'm working with being on the thrifty side, I should probably not set my goals too high ( aka not too early/low numbered ), so #200 might be good. But, then again, I'm not all that particular about condition, so who knows.

I DID grab a VG copy of #78 on e-Bay about 6 months ago because it was THE comic that started it all for me. That image of The Prowler shooting at SM from his wrist cartridges just burned itself into my brain back in '69 & I was obsessed with SM & comics from that point on. So, I just HAD to have that issue.

And, I'm not even 50 yet, so ( hopefully ) I've got a lot of lifetime left in which to collect. So, who knows? I may get back yet a good amount of the ASMs I had back in 1980 before I sold them off. Certainly a fair shake more than what I thought I'd ever manage back when I began this journey a year ago. Hell, I've ALREADY managed that. A year ago I figured I might shoot for ASM #600, MAYBE #500 on...

Jim

Have fun... been in and out of the hobby for years... about 1970 maybe? so over 40 years certainly... and yes, things are way... more expensive!

Lost in Space :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

If you are patient, you can get a lot of ASM books pretty cheap if you aren't too picky about condition. I would think 130 and up would be pretty workable on a budget if you're willing to accept Good thru Fine graded books. Non-keys will probably cost you as much as a new comic or less. If you can live with missing the Marvel Value Stamp even better.

If you put together a want list and post it in the Wanted to Buy section here, I bet you'll get plenty of people willing to sell reading copies of these books at a reasonable price.

Got some packages in the mail over the weekend & again today that have put me that much closer to my first real goal of this second round of collecting. My complete run ASM #1 ( 1999 ) to the present. And as I was logging them into my Stashyour comics database, I realized just how good of a start on completing my run of ASM #300s & 400s as well. So that certainly makes me happy.

Just how earlier I can realistically go with my complete run, I haven't decided. We'll have to see I suppose. What with the budget that I'm working with being on the thrifty side, I should probably not set my goals too high ( aka not too early/low numbered ), so #200 might be good. But, then again, I'm not all that particular about condition, so who knows.

I DID grab a VG copy of #78 on e-Bay about 6 months ago because it was THE comic that started it all for me. That image of The Prowler shooting at SM from his wrist cartridges just burned itself into my brain back in '69 & I was obsessed with SM & comics from that point on. So, I just HAD to have that issue.

And, I'm not even 50 yet, so ( hopefully ) I've got a lot of lifetime left in which to collect. So, who knows? I may get back yet a good amount of the ASMs I had back in 1980 before I sold them off. Certainly a fair shake more than what I thought I'd ever manage back when I began this journey a year ago. Hell, I've ALREADY managed that. A year ago I figured I might shoot for ASM #600, MAYBE #500 on...

Jim

I'm new to the boards, and really enjoy the variety of topics and quality of discussion (compared to some other boards).

I have a similar story to most. I started collecting for real in 4th grade when I read ASM 174 (the one where JJJ has a gun pressed to his forehead by Hitman, and The Punisher and Spidey crash in to the rescue). I was HOOKED after I read that. I amassed a straight run of ASM #5 to about #278 (plus other titles, e.g., Cap, TOS, PPSS, Warlord, Swamp-Thing and Saga of ST). My runs all stop suddenly around August 1986, which is when I was off to college and had no money. I never got back into collecting until the first Spider-Man movie came out 10 years ago. I have been on-and-off collecting since then (managed to fill in ASM #1 thru 4) on eBay or when I go to conventions I look at the wall behind each dealer for the high-end stuff. That's fun. As a kid I could only marvel at those walls of high-end stuff in mylars that utterly was out of my league. Now, I go straight to the walls!

If you are patient, you can get a lot of ASM books pretty cheap if you aren't too picky about condition. I would think 130 and up would be pretty workable on a budget if you're willing to accept Good thru Fine graded books. Non-keys will probably cost you as much as a new comic or less. If you can live with missing the Marvel Value Stamp even better.

If you put together a want list and post it in the Wanted to Buy section here, I bet you'll get plenty of people willing to sell reading copies of these books at a reasonable price.

Jim

Thanks for the advice Hamlet. I'll be sure to take it soon, I'm sure.

Another goal for my collection that I neglected to mention here in previously & one that I believe to be pretty attainable as far as eventually completing it at an affordable cost within the next couple of years is my set of ASM Annuals.

Counting those issues that I ordered a bit earlier today, I'm getting close to about the halfway point. And, even though I've seen some of the very early books go for steep prices in tip top condition, I've also seen them go dirt cheap in lesser shape. Which is encouraging to me.