• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official Newly Crashed Modern Book Thread!

43 posts in this topic

I am surprised no one has ever came up with this for a thread idea.

Afterall, does a falling tree make no sound in the woods? Haven't we all been subjected to a book title that ran out of gas, value-wise? Stumptown? Marvel Zombies? hm

I would like to start the selection with a great book, that has recently failed on network television. My personal favorite, Locke & Key. By no means, does this mean, that it is terrible book. It only means the book's recent sales spike was due to speculators jumping on hoping for another AMC TWD white whale. But, it wasn't to be the case as cruel fate would have it.

What the *Sp00n! :o

NOOOOO!!!!! :frustrated:

CRASH! :fear:

Let this be a lesson to the speculating collectors who might have bought into this "blue chip" investment or the sellers who now have jacked up gems in their inventory. No one wants a book not worth something, but this is an important lesson of buy the book and not the bragging rights. It's a dangerous game, when you are funding a graded collection with a limited family income.

Will this book ever stabilize for collectors thinking of the almighty buck? I don't know? I don't realy care. The comic is brilliantly written and illustrated and the TV series had strong word of mouth. Maybe it will find a new kind of life in some other media(it's one of the first downloadable comics out there), including a Dreamworks movie. So who knows? I've collected this series graded all along and really probably won't experience any $$$ issues, unless I wanted to sell my set tomorrow. I've stuck with this title when the speculators first left causing 9.8's to go for $5 on eBay. I believe in it.

I thought I should make some official kind of comment after all the events that recently happened last week, since I know this book best. The important thing is... I know, I am not alone. Because I know there is always gonna be a Choker or Scarlet misfiring down the road.

So, What's your new "crashed" comic? :popcorn:

hm not sure. With l&k the problem was the announcement of the possible tv show and fox passing were too close together. Whereas the same thing could happen with chew and the show once the pilot is finished.
With myself, those who follow me on Facebook & other blogs, know of my turbulant last few months with sudden illness and deaths in the family. Truth is, I've been changing my priorities and have been losing interest in hobbies. Add on having a couple of less then awesome meetings with Joe and I started losing interest in my title at the same time of all this started. I felt I was fighting to keep interest in hobby that wasn't interested in me. I put some hard work and $$$ in my set of "easily graded IDW books". Whether, I continue collecting or not will be up in the air. The last thing, I was worried about during all this was if the series would get picked up, but had no bearings to making or unmaking my focus. Granted, it would have been nice to watch a different angle of it. Just wanted to get that off my chest as I get closer to making a decision.

i wouldn't say marvel zombies ran out of gas value-wise. maybe it's about 1/4 of a tank left, but it's not yet on empty. the first series 1st prints still have value.
From $50+ to $12 last year, in raw is a crash to me. :sorry:

Too many printings(the trades even) and pointless spin-offs. I was worried when I saw Grimm Fairy Tales #1, Mouse Guard #1 do this(the 4 printings thing) and now Cursed Pirate Girl #1 falls into this routine. I think Chew was the only new book with four printings was immune to this. Maybe it needed seven? hm

Not bashing your title, just the publisher's marketing tactics to squeeze every buck out of us consumers. Can imagine a world, where there was only one Marvel Zombies #1 first print, like NYX #3 or The Walking Dead? :cloud9:

i wouldn't say marvel zombies ran out of gas value-wise. maybe it's about 1/4 of a tank left, but it's not yet on empty. the first series 1st prints still have value.

Too many printings(the trades even) and pointless spin-offs. I was worried when I saw Grimm Fairy Tales #1, Mouse Guard #1 do this(the 4 printings thing) and now Cursed Pirate Girl #1 falls into this routine.

Not bashing your title, just the publisher's marketing tactics to squeeze every buck out of us consumers. Can imagine a world, where there was only one Marvel Zombies #1 first print, like NYX #3? :cloud9:

marvel zombies #1 is still a $35+ book. the other 1st prints go for $15-25. the 1st series wasn't even the problem, because the few 2nd prints were different covers, and they were great. the problem came with the 2nd series, and on. the covers got worse, the story stupid, and it became overkill. obviously, the book would have dropped off a little anyway, but the later series killed the franchise.

mouse guard #1 is also still a fairly expensive book.

Too many printings(the trades even) and pointless spin-offs. I was worried when I saw Grimm Fairy Tales #1, Mouse Guard #1 do this(the 4 printings thing) and now Cursed Pirate Girl #1 falls into this routine.

Not bashing your title, just the publisher's marketing tactics to squeeze every buck out of us consumers. Can imagine a world, where there was only one Marvel Zombies #1 first print, like NYX #3? :cloud9:

marvel zombies #1 is still a $35+ book. the other 1st prints go for $15-25. the 1st series wasn't even the problem, because the few 2nd prints were different covers, and they were great. the problem came with the 2nd series, and on. the covers got worse, the story stupid, and it became overkill. obviously, the book would have dropped off a little anyway, but the later series killed the franchise.

mouse guard #1 is also still a fairly expensive book.

OK, let's stay on point here. I'm happy one $35 completed sale on eBay is showing an uptick for Marvel Zombies #1. But that doesn't make up for the rest of them, including ones sold in sets.

... And I'm not bashing a book's quality, especially Mouse Guard :sumo: , only slumping sales compared to original back issue prices. Just trying trying to show there has been no sales growth and looking for reasons why. But, I think we already know them.

Look, I admitted the title I love to collect is currently going down in flames due to over speculation and a busted Hollywood deal. Sticking up for every $15 book that once was a $35 to $55 one is making no sense to me, as this is a thread about books crashed in value. Right?

you said marvel zombies was out of gas. i responded it wasn't out of gas, but the tank was about 1/4 full. until marvel zombies no longer sells, it isn't out of gas value wise. then you kept posting as if my post was wrong. it wasn't.

p.s. please show me where marvel zombies #1 is selling for $12. it's the only 1st print i still need.

The whole Locke and Key "crash" seems like semantics. Other than the two sales that show up on GPA, which were complete outliers by all reasonable analysis, were there any transactions taking place? I did an extra #1 (9.8 SS) when the creators were at SD the year Welcome to Lovecraft launched.

I couldn't sell it for $75 for years, and couldn't sell it for $275 after the big sales went down, and before the show was scuttled. Not one lowball offer or one PM or anything. I am not buying that there was any kind of real runup. And if there is no real runup, can there be a crash?

Too many printings(the trades even) and pointless spin-offs. I was worried when I saw Grimm Fairy Tales #1, Mouse Guard #1 do this(the 4 printings thing) and now Cursed Pirate Girl #1 falls into this routine. I think Chew was the only new book with four printings was immune to this. Maybe it needed seven? hm

Cursed Pirate Girl suffered from a glut of books hitting ebay all at the same time - once that supply dried up, however, prices started rising again and raw #1s (1st prints) are $100 books once more.

1st prints of Mouse Guard #1 have been fairly steady for a very long time now.

I'm not saying that multiple prints can't hurt the collectibility of issue #1s, but in the case of the titles above, that just hasn't been the case so far.

I wonder if the TWD market will crash when/if the tv shoe dies

i don't think the show crashing would hurt the comics too much. books were already rising in price and selling for good money before the show was even in works.

They are two different books, but TWD reminds of Ultimate Spiderman for the fact of such a large value and following for so long and the story started to get worse. I might be in the minority here but for me after issue 50, TWD really slowed down and what caused me to sell my run. I dont think TWD #1 will ever be super cheap, but I cant see it sustaining these type of prices long term.