• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$37.5 K anyone??

48 posts in this topic

It's one of those ultra-rare 2 cents copies. :/

Killer book my arse.

Not everyone is hung up about a perfect wrap but I can say that if I were to spend that kind of money on a 9.8...it had better better have a perfect wrap and white pages.

Some of the ultra HG prices are just getting insane.

My point is that, whilst it's clearly a great book, with that miswrap, it shouldn't be in a 9.8 case and it's certainly not a killer book.

And for that sort of money, it needs to be a killer book.

Just my 2c

Why do you think a miswrap should be downgraded?

I never understood that logic. (shrug)

The book is not damaged what so ever so how can one give it a lesser grade?

I am not saying the book would be as desirable as the same book with a perfect wrap, but there is no reason why the book in question should not be in a 9.8 holder due to the miswrap.

Grading is for defects that show damage on the book, not defects that are for picky collectors for aesthetics.

Grading is for defects that show damage on the book, not defects that are for picky collectors for aesthetics.

They're actually for both, CGC just weighs aesthetics differently than some (or most) collectors.

(thumbs u

Example:

Just because this book to me is very unattractive, I do not think a grader has a right take points off for it.

The book is a terrible looking 8.0 with a production miswrap.

Just because the book is ugly doesn't mean it isn't an 8.0.

asm121front.jpg

The simplest answer for me is because it makes sense. In every other mass manufactured collecting hobby quality of production is a decisive factor of grade.

Killer book my arse.

Not everyone is hung up about a perfect wrap but I can say that if I were to spend that kind of money on a 9.8...it had better better have a perfect wrap and white pages.

My point is that, whilst it's clearly a great book, with that miswrap, it shouldn't be in a 9.8 case and it's certainly not a killer book.

Just my 2c

lol +1
I love green now :cloud9:
:grin:

The simplest answer for me is because it makes sense. In every other mass manufactured collecting hobby quality of production is a decisive factor of grade.

I fully agree that production defect flaws should without question be counted against the grade, but a miswrap is not a flaw that impacts anything negative about the book except for the look of it.

I am mean I would pass on miswraped books like the ASM #121 I posted, but the ASM 51 to me is not a bad miswrap to warrant not buying it.

Of course not for $37k. :insane:

I fully agree that production defect flaws should without question be counted against the grade, but a miswrap is not a flaw that impacts anything negative about the book except for the look of it.

I am mean I would pass on miswraped books like the ASM #121 I posted, but the ASM 51 to me is not a bad miswrap to warrant not buying it.

And now I know what the "New School" way of thinking is towards miswraps :cloud9:

I learned a few weeks ago from the very same poster that an Action #1 in 6.0 is high grade, when a 9.4 X-Men #500 is not. Thanks for keeping me young Johnny, I was so stuck in that old school of thought which is no longer relevant :banana:

Jim

Wow. My latest CGC sub has a Spidey 51 in the same grade and PQ...better wrap though. Not going to be asking $35k for it, that's for sure. :screwy:

wow

can you post a pic of your spidey 51?

did oyu buy your copy off the stands?

It's not back yet...hence the concern I voiced in another thread about the shipping address listed on my tracking info.

Nope, did not buy it off the stands.

when/how/where did you buy the book?

and was it part of a run or just a single issue?

Also, what color shirt were you wearing?

I won't be able to sleep until I know. :(

And now I know what the "New School" way of thinking is towards miswraps :cloud9:

I learned a few weeks ago from the very same poster that an Action #1 in 6.0 is high grade, when a 9.4 X-Men #500 is not. Thanks for keeping me young Johnny, I was so stuck in that old school of thought which is no longer relevant :banana:

Jim

See you at WW Philly buddy. lol

BTW if a miswrap should effect the grade then wouldn't a bigger foul be that a book with CROW sitting in any 9.6/9.8 holder be more of a concern. :baiting:

Wow. My latest CGC sub has a Spidey 51 in the same grade and PQ...better wrap though. Not going to be asking $35k for it, that's for sure. :screwy:

wow

can you post a pic of your spidey 51?

did oyu buy your copy off the stands?

It's not back yet...hence the concern I voiced in another thread about the shipping address listed on my tracking info.

Nope, did not buy it off the stands.

when/how/where did you buy the book?

and was it part of a run or just a single issue?

Also, what color skirt were you wearing?

I won't be able to sleep until I know. :(

Me neither :(

Why is a crease a defect? Because it affects the look of the book, they are one and the same except you can't press this one out :)

Jim

Agreed.

Killer book my arse.

Just my 2c

I am not saying the book would be as desirable as the same book with a perfect wrap, but there is no reason why the book in question should not be in a 9.8 holder due to the miswrap.

+1

I don't need CGC to analyze how mis-centered a book is. I can see it for myself from a scan. Just because 2 books have equal structure doesn't mean they're equally desirable.

Some people disagree with that assessment. (shrug)

I personally don't mind a little well centered white strip along the spine, but I don't care for the reverse type of miswrap.

What about miscuts? Those are also production related and can be even uglier than miswraps. In any event, CGC can't win. If they took these kind of production related defects into account, some people here would complain about that too.

I personally don't mind a little well centered white strip along the spine, but I don't care for the reverse type of miswrap.

What about miscuts? Those are also production related and can be even uglier than miswraps. In any event, CGC can't win. If they took these kind of production related defects into account, some people here would complain about that too.

.....some people here would complain about a free lunch. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

That's interesting - I used to actively seek out the slight miswrapped copies you describe on the newsstand :lol: Now, I prefer the well-centered copies, and if a book is reverse miswrapped slightly, it doesn't bother me at all, because I don't look at the back covers much.

Killer book my arse.

Just my 2c

+1

I don't need CGC to analyze how mis-centered a book is. I can see it for myself from a scan. Just because 2 books have equal structure doesn't mean they're equally desirable.

Well put

Jesus H Christ, why the heck did I bother coming back to school when I could be hustling crack-pulp?

what's this thing really worth these days? Myself I might pay 500 or 1000, talk about a big disconnect

For that, you'd get a 9.4. My guess is 15K-ish, but I can't really read this market because I'm not not_in_tune_with_social_norms insane.