• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting Strategy in Pedigreecomics JUne auction

109 posts in this topic

I'm all for not doing business with known shady people but DAMN since i joined up here and started reading, it has really shrunk the list of people i can do business with!

I've read bad things on here about Comiclink, Pedigree and Heritage auctions. Where the hell are we supposed to buy our damn funny books nowadays? ???

There is a very nice list and you can start with many of the members of this board such as:

BlazingBob

Nick aka FT

Gator

RichieBedrock

Andy, GA Collectables

MCMiles

Joeypost

Would love to hear the dirt on ComicLink ( don't deal with Heritage cause they blew me away on account I'm from Europe WTF!!!??? )

But I'll run a search on ComicLink and find out for myself...

That will be a little tougher than on Pedigree. See, Clink is a site sponsor so they have much more stroke in getting threads pulled or sanitised about them than Doug does.

Oh I see.... hm

Well...will have to hear up on on boardie experiences then... Josh Nathanson seems like a pretty cool fellow...talked to him several times on the phone. Hard to get in touch with him on account of the 6 hr TZ difference...

I'm all for not doing business with known shady people but DAMN since i joined up here and started reading, it has really shrunk the list of people i can do business with!

I've read bad things on here about Comiclink, Pedigree and Heritage auctions. Where the hell are we supposed to buy our damn funny books nowadays? ???

There is a very nice list and you can start with many of the members of this board such as:

BlazingBob

Nick aka FT

Gator

RichieBedrock

Andy, GA Collectables

MCMiles

Joeypost

I will add..

Namisgr

Foolkiller

Tupenny Conan

Kramerica

Basement Comics

Skypinkblu

Thirdgreenham

Lizards2

Spiderman on Tilt

The list HERE is huge. There are others I will never ever do business with.

E-BAY :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Unfortunately, this is what happens when bigtime money is involved. I dont care how great a guy you supposedly are, big $$$$ is VERY tempting sometimes. The things ive read on here about supposedly VERY respected members of the community are mind boggling :ohnoez:

Unfortunately, this is what happens when bigtime money is involved. I dont care how great a guy you supposedly are, big $$$$ is VERY tempting sometimes. The things ive read on here about supposedly VERY respected members of the community are mind boggling :ohnoez:

Can you give us some examples?

BlazingBob

Nick aka FT

Gator

RichieBedrock

Andy, GA Collectables

MCMiles

Joeypost

I will add..

Namisgr

Foolkiller

Tupenny Conan

Kramerica

Basement Comics

Skypinkblu

Thirdgreenham

Lizards2

Spiderman on Tilt

The list HERE is huge. There are others I will never ever do business with.

All those on that list are quality sellers. And some of them have progeny that can wrestle like a madman too!

Sure. I read that Bedrock roots for the Astros and plays cards for money.

I just read a 50 page thread someone linked about a certain guy who advertises on here and restores books that definitely made me want to never bid in an auction of his (thumbs u

Only 1 of those is enough to ostracize someone over.

:o The scoundrel! :o

obviously the loss of gloss isn't that much effected, if that northland ASM 51 came back a CGC 9.8. just sayin' :whistle:

You'll just never know unless you purchase it and take it out of the slab.

I cracked a 9.4 book out this Sunday that was 9.0......, maybe 9.2 tops. The book was old label too. The only cheery note out of that whole ordeal is that the CROW pages were OW at worst. More on the dismal side is that I had a 9.0 raw copy already..., :sorry:

I think it was the worst $150 I've spent in recent history.

Mike, done right (and i know from personal experience) when pressing a book the gloss isnt even remotely affected.

Arex - I appreciate the honest answer instead of the usual instant stomp down, deflection, and denial of MOST of the pressing crowd. Actually, what is your estimate of the ratio between "done right" vs. "botched to heck"? I just seem to be seeing books with consistent damage that I can't really attribute to usual aging factors.

The book above was NOT pressing damaged either, it was just a corner bump with color breaking creases on both front and back cover. Sorry, I'm kind of mixing stuff back and forth here.

When I was pressing I probably did 100 or more books. I started practicing on $1 or cheaper books that even if i botched it, no one is going to miss an FF 342 or whatever. So, some of the lower graded books i botched a little while I was learning about moisture levels (some people dont use moisture at all) pressure levels, temp settings, and what have you.

Now, once I became good at it (again no where near as good as Joey, Mike, Kenny etc) I worked on more expensive books. My botch ratio was near 0. And the one botch I do remember I bothered a top staple on a book a little. It was user error and not anything that I should have not controlled.

So, with a competent presser the done right% is probably close to 98 or better.

And I would say that is being conservative. Some of the really good folks are probably much closer to the 100% mark. Or as close to 100% as a human using mechanical processes can be.

JK Rule # 1.

Expect the worst and you will rarely be disappointed. :devil:

I'll be giving him the benefit of the doubt....

Of course you will, that was obvious after your first few posts. It's OK, there are plenty of other folks here that are equally as willing to turn a blind eye in order to get the books they want. "Moral Ambiguity" is the battle cry of many collectors. (thumbs u

Spot on OG, spot on. :applause:

I've bought a few books from Pedigree in the past... what basis is there that Doug is such a slime ball ?? He's been A-OK with me. Am I missing something ?

I'm sure a litany of people can tell you the stories.

Since books can often be re pressed and regraded, the fact that many twin cities were already pressed, doesn't always dissuade people from re pressing the books.

Is there any gloss left on them by the time they're repressed?

Sure. Tons.

Do they have any soul left?

They never had souls to begin with... just ask Hellblazer.