• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pence variants?

7 posts in this topic

Hi all, just want to pick you're brains a bit...well, not litteraly, but you know...

Ahem.

Pence variants of US comics...more or less valueable than the cents versions.

I have ASM #103 and 105, X-Men (1960s) #22, 27, 114, 127 and 131 in pence form. The 60s books have 10d prices (which my British girlfriend says is "old pence") and the 70-80s ones have 15p prices.

I know the 30 and 35 cent Marvel variants are quite rare and pricey, but I've read in Overstreet annual guide #40 that less than 5% of the whole run of these books was in pence. Should that make them more costly (as they might be more rare) or less costly because no-one seems to want pence on their covers?

Confused don't even begin to describe it. I'd appreciate all views on this, to get the lay of the land, as it were.

Thanks,

James

Hi all, just want to pick you're brains a bit...well, not litteraly, but you know...

Ahem.

Pence variants of US comics...more or less valueable than the cents versions.

I have ASM #103 and 105, X-Men (1960s) #22, 27, 114, 127 and 131 in pence form. The 60s books have 10d prices (which my British girlfriend says is "old pence") and the 70-80s ones have 15p prices.

I know the 30 and 35 cent Marvel variants are quite rare and pricey, but I've read in Overstreet annual guide #40 that less than 5% of the whole run of these books was in pence. Should that make them more costly (as they might be more rare) or less costly because no-one seems to want pence on their covers?

Confused don't even begin to describe it. I'd appreciate all views on this, to get the lay of the land, as it were.

Thanks,

James

James, pence copies do sell for less than cents copies mainly because a lot of collectors prefer uniformity in their collection. How much less they sell for varies a lot depending on the popularity, rarity and grade of the comic .

Welcome to the boards. :hi:

Lots of threads on these. I'm a huge fan of these and depending on the issue I would pay full pop for [like this one]

Nice book! All I have are low-grade ASMs and X-men...but I keep on the lookout!

James

Lots of threads on these. I'm a huge fan of these and depending on the issue I would pay full pop for [like this one]

Nice book! All I have are low-grade ASMs and X-men...but I keep on the lookout!

James

If you're looking for pence copies, I've got three short boxes full for sale. :insane:

People get quite snobbish about pence copies. I grew up with them so I am happy (prefer) them - my collection isn't worth a thing anyway lol

I would say if you are looking to make money out of comics stay away from pence copies (unless they are rare high grade as Garry said) and stick to cents copies. (thumbs u

Neil

Mile High have many UK pence variants listed, priced at double what they're asking for their US cents copy in the same condition. doh! Oh, well.

Plenty in the Avengers section, if you're curious.