• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OK, so what's YOUR shocking confession about your collection?

90 posts in this topic

When I was 7 or 8 (1970) I was looking at my older brothers comic book collection when he was'nt around,and I started tearing some of them up.One of the books was an AF 15 that I ripped to shreads,man my brother was pretty upset.Not my collection but something that I was involved in. doh!
I can't imagine a brother not being understanding of this. (shrug)

When I was 7 or 8 (1970) I was looking at my older brothers comic book collection when he was'nt around,and I started tearing some of them up.One of the books was an AF 15 that I ripped to shreads,man my brother was pretty upset.Not my collection but something that I was involved in. doh!

I know, right! I mean an AF 15 was only worth 20 bucks back then. :pullhair:

1970 was a bad year anyways.

First, I had my hand resting on an alluminum support of a swing set. A guy was trying to bat a ball with an alluminum bat. He missed the ball and hit my hand, It broke the main bone in my hand but, that wasn't noticed for a few weeks so, the doctor had to break it again.

Shortly after that healed, the recess bell rang. we all headed for the door to get outside. I got shoved into the corner of a cement wall and it took the teacher a whole dispencer full of them brown towels to sop up the blood before I went to get stiches.

A few months after that, I was seeing how fast I could go down this hill with my single speed bike. I tried to turn into the neighbors driveway and, could only turn halfway. I went over the handlebars and crashed head first in a stone wall. I could fold one side of my top lip to the other side and, knocked out my 4 front teeth. I remember staying up until 10:00 PM that night while the doctor sewed me up and the dentist put my teeth back in.

In the late 1970s, before many things, like disdain for restoration (or CGC grading) became established in the hobby, I put some colour touches on some comic books, perhaps 30 in total. And I replaced some staples in some books, taped up some tears in others. I still have most of the books on which I did this, though they are now my reading copies. Mind you I had only paid $1 or $2 or $3 dollars per book at my local comic shop, so it didn't seem like such a big deal. The most stunning examples of this that I still have are an ASM 31 (now an Apparent 6.0), an ASM 33 (now a Qualified 9.0), and a Daredevil 8 (now a Qualified 9.4). Some investments have not appreciated, after all.

(tsk)

I've wanted to do this to some of my brother's book when we were little, but never did (I don't think hm ).

The little jerk did accuse me of taking his Silver Surfer #1 when I left home. Still does. I'd think I'd know if I had that book :insane:

First, I had my hand resting on an alluminum support of a swing set. A guy was trying to bat a ball with an alluminum bat. He missed the ball and hit my hand, It broke the main bone in my hand but, that wasn't noticed for a few weeks so, the doctor had to break it again.

Shortly after that healed, the recess bell rang. we all headed for the door to get outside. I got shoved into the corner of a cement wall and it took the teacher a whole dispencer full of them brown towels to sop up the blood before I went to get stiches.

A few months after that, I was seeing how fast I could go down this hill with my single speed bike. I tried to turn into the neighbors driveway and, could only turn halfway. I went over the handlebars and crashed head first in a stone wall. I could fold one side of my top lip to the other side and, knocked out my 4 front teeth. I remember staying up until 10:00 PM that night while the doctor sewed me up and the dentist put my teeth back in.

WOW! You daredevil you. :eek:

I'll tell my dad's story. When he was a kid he had either Action Comics #1 or Superman #1 (he just remembers it was a Superman book first issue) and cut out the Superman art to pin on his bedroom wall. :cry:
NOOOOOOO!!!!!!! :cry:

I'll tell my dad's story. When he was a kid he had either Action Comics #1 or Superman #1 (he just remembers it was a Superman book first issue) and cut out the Superman art to pin on his bedroom wall. :cry:

Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

:frustrated:

Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

:frustrated:

I know. It's one of those stories where you wish you had a time machine so you could stop him.

hm Of course with a time machine I would have one HELLACIOUS collection. One of my favorite daydreams :cloud9:

Holy sheep dip!!!!! :makepoint:

Ouch