• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old Blue vs New Blue label posted by duckduckmike

8 posts in this topic

Are CGC "old" labels worth less than new ones?

Recently, some of the books I've accumulated have been great deals, and I noticed that some of these are the "old" style CGC Universal grades. Comparing to other books on auction sites (ebay cough cough) and some cons, are the older CGC labels considered less valuable or am I making something out of nothing? Any thoughts from others? Is this a recent trend?

I'd rather have all "matching" labels, but in the end I don't care, I just want to know that my 9.8 is a 9.8 is a 9.8.

Or in some cases, my 3.0 is a 3.0 is a 3.0 haha.

See more journals by duckduckmike

in my experience, i have discovered that there exist a premium for old "modern" labels... those are not the old blue universal ones, but the maroonish-red labels used in the early years of CGC.

i've been able to sell a few in the past for about 25-30% more than the new universal labels in the same grade. I think collectors feel that CGC was more strict back then so books slabbed at that time are "true" grades or better... but only CGC knows if there is truth to that or not.

personally, i think that collectors like to aquire the maroonish-red "modern" label because 1) they don't use the label anymore and 2) to have the book in all possible slabs (one old modern maroon, one old universal blue, and one new universal blue).

but check it out.... if you come accross the old maroonish-red modern label, you will see it posted for a premium.

Same here...bought a Captain Marvel #1 CGC 9.8 (1968) with the old label so now I have to go hunting for one with the new label :mad:

You can send it to CGC for Reholdering where they will replace the label with a new one for only $11 plus shipping. It will retain its grade (thumbs u

The CGC cases have a limited life span. The comics should not be left in the CGC case for more than 7-10 years, and the reholder service is for that mainly. I sent in about 11 recently to reholder, still in the old label cases. Don't take them out or the grade becomes uncertified.

The CGC cases have a limited life span. The comics should not be left in the CGC case for more than 7-10 years, and the reholder service is for that mainly. I sent in about 11 recently to reholder, still in the old label cases. Don't take them out or the grade becomes uncertified.

Please don't perpetuate this myth.

The CGC cases are made from archival-safe materials that'll last hundreds of years.

At some point, however, the micro-chamber paper that CGC puts inside the books will become inert - CGC puts this at around 7 years, but other studies have shown that it'll take much longer than that. An inert piece of micro-chamber paper does absolutely no harm to a comic book - it's just inert.