• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Super 8

58 posts in this topic

Just saw it. It was okay, but nothing special.

I knew nothing about the movie and had no expectations going in, and went to see it only because I liked JJ Abrams' from "Lost" and "Star Trek".

It's basically "Lost", particularly the first few nights after arriving on The Island (right down to recycled sound effects from the Black Smoke), meets "ET", but without much of the charm of either.

The movie is an interesting reflection of how much more cynical and hardened society has become since "ET". Whereas in "ET" the alien was totally charming and the government ultimately turned out to be good, here the government is mean and bad and the alien is mean.

super 8 was my sleeper pick for BO hit of the summer, since that call the movie's stock on HSX has gone from $160 to $90. i should've stuck to short selling. the rotten tomatoes/metacritic scores are pretty good. i will check this out despite the luke warm review from HK.

I will wait for the VHS or Beta edition..

Is it 1981 again?

If Super 8 doesn't come out in VHS, then I will wait for it to come out on a CBS special Saturday night feature

I`m not sure my opinion should affect whether people see the movie or not.

I don`t see eye to eye with the vast majority of boardies when it comes to movies! So all of you "Transformers" and "Thor" fans will probably think "Super 8" is awesome!

I don`t see eye to eye with the vast majority of boardies when it comes to movies! So all of you "Transformers" and "Thor" fans will probably think "Super 8" is awesome!

Maybe if you came back down to earth you would...

:makepoint:

I just admitted in another thread that I like "National Treasure", so it`s not like I spend my days at Ingmar Bergman and Francois Truffaut film festivals. (shrug)

They`re highly acclaimed European film directors. :gossip:

Zing! lol

I liked National Treasure too. Nice piece of fluff. Too bad Nick Cage was cast in it though. :( Why do people keep casting him in movies?

With 83% on rottentomatoes and 72% on metacritic, I'll be seeing Super 8 this weekend. That and the fact that the movie is set in the year that I entered high school makes it well worth my time and $9.

I just admitted in another thread that I like "National Treasure", so it`s not like I spend my days at Ingmar Bergman and Francois Truffaut film festivals. (shrug)

You'll have my full respect when you're ready to tell a CEO or a CFO on a golf course that you're a comic geek.

:sumo:

You'll have my full respect when you're ready to tell a CEO or a CFO on a golf course that you're a comic geek.

:sumo:

The only CEO I would ever say that to would be Ron Perelman, just as I`m teeing off on his big bald head.

Early reviews roped me in. I have tickets for a Gold Class Cinema on Monday. I rarely see anything in theaters, but it seemed like a good way to start the summer. (Maybe not.)