• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about Gerber...

55 posts in this topic

Don't forget to buy the Comic Book Marketplace issues with the stickers of the missing gerber photos

also

keep in mind that the scarcity index did not include some more recent (post 1989) collection finds.

I spent MONTHS searching and researching the Gerbers - HOW MANY OF YOU MADE QUICK CHECKLISTS OF THE 7,8,9, and 10's??

PS special thanks to Mark and Steve and Paul and Shawn for letting me borrow them so much (every night and weekends)

PS II thanks to John Verzyl for the Signed Stan Lee/Ernie Gerber LTD hardcover with slipcase

PS III thanks Calvin for the Signed Press Proofs (E. Gerber/P.R. Theiss) of marvel Mystery, Detective Comics, and the Batman

Mine arrived today grin.gif

Just thumbing through some titles that I was already interested in I found many covers that I hadn't seen before... It's just too good for words. I see my want list exploding in the next couple of hours/weeks.

Thank you to Lantern for posting the link to Bud Plant and also to fantasyfootballbono for posting the 15% off code 893applaud-thumb.gif

And at the end of day one my want list has doubled and I'm only on page 43 of the first book grin.gif I can see now that I need a better paying job 893frustrated.gif

Yup, the discovery of Gerbers marks the time in a collector's career where he creates an intricate slush-fund/PO-box system to hide additional comic purchases from his wife.

Good luck to you. In a way, we should all feel guilty for ever helping you obtain those books.

Question...

I'm not complaining because the Gerber books are unbelievable, but...

People have mentioned that EVERY book is pictured

(besides the "empty box missing" where a placeholder waits for a picture)...

but I'm seeing that lots of books are not pictured.

For instance, Turok - Son of Stone from Dell... issues up to #4 are pictured,

and from #5 to the end of 1965, there are no pictures at all...

just a "generic grouping" in the text.

Also, the famous "Buzzy 70" isn't pictured...

in fact, only about 10 of the Buzzy's are shown.

What do people mean when they say the Gerber guides show "every cover"?

Gerber pictures 21,700 comics. It shows every SIGNIFICANT book from 1933 to 1965. Many later issues of non-mainstream titles are missing. If Gerber had to find those issues it would have taken another 5 years to complete the project and the GA Gerber set would be 4 volumes at a cost of $500!

Timely~West

Gerber pictures 21,700 comics. It shows every SIGNIFICANT book from 1933 to 1965. Many later issues of non-mainstream titles are missing. If Gerber had to find those issues it would have taken another 5 years to complete the project and the GA Gerber set would be 4 volumes at a cost of $500!

Timely~West

Cool beans... I can live with that.

(I collect Turok, Son of Stone... so I'm only slightly upset.) grin.gif

Timely~West

To be honest, you should be pleased that any issues of that Silver Age series were included at all in this primarily Golden Age reference. I always looked at the Silver Age stuff as purely bonus material.

To be honest, you should be pleased that any issues of that Silver Age series were included at all in this primarily Golden Age reference. I always looked at the Silver Age stuff as purely bonus material.

Are you insinuating that Turok is a Silver Age hero? 893whatthe.gif How rude! grin.gif

It's also based on scarcity (and I don't just mean in high-grade). He even states that once the books become more common, those were the books he left out. That's why there are spots for missing books. He considered them worthy of being included (i.e. not common), but obviously couldn't find a copy.

It's be pretty cool if they created a web-site based on the Photo Journal. Nice big scans of all those great books. Seaches by scarcity, etc.

I'd pay some money just too see all of those Mile Highs.

Pete

It's be pretty cool if they created a web-site based on the Photo Journal. Nice big scans of all those great books. Seaches by scarcity, etc.

I'd pay some money just too see all of those Mile Highs.

Pete

That makes me wonder. Does Gerber's estate still have the original transparencies???????? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif