• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about Gerber...

55 posts in this topic

I'm about to show my lack of knowledge again so bare with me....

Gerber... been hearing about it for years, but I don't know anything about it. Is this an actual book that is available or is it a website? Since I'm trying to get into the GA arena it would be helpful to know how rare some of this stuff is. Any help you guys can give would be helpful.

The Gerber photo journal is a two volume set which includes pictures of all GA books and the difficulty in obtaining each book.

Here is a pix of the cover.

http://www.bookfinder.us/review6/0962332828.html

RTS unlimited has an ad in the comic guide for the books. Otherwise, check out Amazon.com. In addition I have seen the books auctioned on E-Bay on a regular basis.

Beware of the Gerber Guide. It has a way of sucking away all of your time and making your comic book budget expand! You'll love it.

Oh great... just what I need. Just getting into GA alone has increased the comic budget. There was a time when $100 on a book took some serious consideration... now I'm at the point where something is affordable if it's below $250. foreheadslap.gif

Ok... just so I'm clear on this... The Photo-Journal To Marvel Comics is a completely different set right? I went onto Amazon and the only one they sell that doesn't say Marvel on it appears to be the second volume K-Z for $52.50. You can buy both volumes in a set for $145 but then there's no discount. Now walmat's website shows that they have it in a cloth trade version... does anyone have that one? Is it just one huge volume or are there two volumes of that as well?

Yes, the Photo Journal Guide to Marvel Comics is actually Vol. 3 & 4. If you are looking for the Golden Age version then you want Vol. 1 & 2.

See my post above for a pretty good deal on the first two volumes.

thumbsup2.gif

Ok... just so I'm clear on this... The Photo-Journal To Marvel Comics is a completely different set right? I went onto Amazon and the only one they sell that doesn't say Marvel on it appears to be the second volume K-Z for $52.50. You can buy both volumes in a set for $145 but then there's no discount. Now walmat's website shows that they have it in a cloth trade version... does anyone have that one? Is it just one huge volume or are there two volumes of that as well?

You are looking at it wrong.

The Marvel set is $40.74 for both books

The other is $145 for both books that you are talking about.

Correct, there are two sets. Buy the GA set! The books are actually priceless. If the cover price was $499 I'd still say you should buy it. The book contains 21,700 color pictures, a scarity index (rating the rarity of each book) and a lot of insight about pedigrees and storage.

It is a MUST have! You will not make a better investment! thumbsup2.gif

Imagine seeing Action Comics #1-300, Detective #1-300+, Marvel Mystery #1-92 and other greats such as Dippy Duck #1 893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif

Timely

Yes, the Photo Journal Guide to Marvel Comics is actually Vol. 3 & 4. If you are looking for the Golden Age version then you want Vol. 1 & 2.

See my post above for a pretty good deal on the first two volumes.

thumbsup2.gif

Somehow I missed your previous post. I'll be ordering it from that site as soon as I get home from work. Thank you thumbsup2.gif

Imagine seeing Action Comics #1-300, Detective #1-300+, Marvel Mystery #1-92 and other greats such as Dippy Duck #1 893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif

Timely

The cover pics are a HUGE bonus for me. I wanted it just for the scarcity index... I didn't even know that it included pics. I can't wait for it to arrive now.

You have NO IDEA what those cover pics will do to you... I use the scarcity index from time to time, but I don't put all that much weight into it. The cover pictures on the other hand... they will cause you to add books you've never even heard of to your want list as fast as you can scribble them down

If you love comics you owe it to yourself to have a set of these books. Be sure to give yourself several hours when they arrive as you will be looking over these books for a long time. cloud9.gif

Tom

your sig line

Only 41 X-Men comics to go...

consider yourself warned...you might sell all your X-men books in near future...

one Gerber side effect.. grin.gif

The Gerber Guides are fantastic.

But they were even MORE IMPORTANT when they came out 15 years ago, because there was no internet. So other than seeing the covers in person (or the limited pictures shown in the Annual Overstreet Guides), you didn't have a clue what was out there.

Once you get the guide, I'm sure you will start a WANT LIST, and then keep adding to it.

Enjoy. thumbsup2.gif

I just ordered volumes 1 & 2 from Bud Plant for about $120 after taxes/shipping. I already have a nice copy of volume 2, and I'm now willing to sell it for $48 shipped to the first person who PMs me. It is incredibly awesome and you'll be glad you bought it!!