• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So what triggers an upgrade?

37 posts in this topic

I was thinking about this the other day when I noticed one of my comics just didn't make the grade :mad: compared to the other comics around it.

This seems to be happening more and more often -- though I buy every comic as a keeper. (shrug)

I was thinking about this the other day when I noticed one of my comics just didn't make the grade :mad: compared to the other comics around it.

This seems to be happening more and more often -- though I buy every comic as a keeper. (shrug)

4TDK_Two-Face_HarveyDent.jpg

[font:Book Antiqua]

Usually you are happy with whatever you have

And then you see the ... mmm ... grade...

of the guy next to you;

And then you decide that you want to have one of this

Because everyone admire and respect their.... mmm .... High grade.

Every one wants to have a BIG grade....[/font]

:insane:

In all honesty I believe what triggers an upgrade is what triggers our initial compulsion to collect.

You will have favorite covers, stories, characters, or particular books may evoke sentimentality, but ultimately the pleasure is derived from the acquisition not the ownership. Once a particular book or run is in your long box the itch is satisfied for only so long until, an upgrade is in order.

You see it repeated time and time again by the members who have the means to be 9.8 collectors, finish the run, can't go higher with upgrades and then sell them off to meet a newly created collecting goal.

My man Stephen King said it best, paraphrase, "the journey is what matters not the destination." (thumbs u

I only upgrade books I've bought as placeholders, once I buy for keeps I... keep them. Having a structure in place of what you'd be happy with for certain ages helps.

hm I think it's sorta like the Blu-ray verses DVD thing or buying the White Album all over again (Tommy Lee Jones in MiB).

If there wasn't something for us to buy that's supposedly better, what would we do? (shrug):ohnoez: