• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cool Book of the Day!!!!

31 posts in this topic

Overstreet indicates its a Kirby Cover... confused-smiley-013.gif

ok...remember that load in the pants I was talking about earlier... 893whatthe.gif

It's Kirby pencils with the great Ayers doing the inks....one of my all time favorite combos.

Fair enough. Its just that some of the postures/facial expressions in the crowd look very Ditkoesque. confused-smiley-013.gif

Ditko did ink some of Kirby's covers around this time. I have a Tales of Suspense #23 that I was sure was a Ditko cover until I confirmed it was just his inks. Let me go look.....here it is.

TOS23.jpg

Great looking book.

I have tried to get a nice CGC copy of that issue, but always seem to come up short.

I love the reds on that book.

The two colors I don't particularly like on Pre-Hero Marvels are Browns (except the TTA #29) and Greys.

Keep showing these books, I love them.

Looks better than an 8.0 to me. My guess would have been at least a 9.0 (but of course I can't see the back cover or any surface wear). There is a weird white mark about a third up from the bottom, right below the grey things tentacle. If it's a "scratch" maybe that's what pulled it down?

What's the page quality?

I'm looking at the slab right now....I believe the white patch you are referring to is a printing defect, not a scratch. In person, the spine has a bit more wear than the scan would show..but still, the book has excellent eye-appeal. Notes were only cream to off-white pages. It was one of the three books I used my free coupon for. I was afraid it might come back "trimmed" cause the top, bottom, and right side edges are sharp. Glad I got it slabbed. I've owned it for over 20 years.

Serial number is 0084945002. And it has not been pressed! 27_laughing.gif

I've owned it for over 20 years. Serial number is 0084945002. And it has not been pressed!

Beautiful book. But if you press it, it might get a 9.0 or higher. 893whatthe.gif

Come on, go with the flow. 27_laughing.gif