• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you think this is really a 9.6 book ?

20 posts in this topic

No...

Various chips out of and large scuff on front cover, writing, tanning, dust shadow and slight spine roll (obvious on scan of back cover) easily take this out of the 9.? realm.

8.0 or at best 8.5.

Jim

No problem with the writing in that grade, the sun-shadow hurts a little, but those chips put it in the 9.0-9.2 range (although I fear the bottom "chip" might be a corner crease that was folder over before being encased?). Not sure if the scuff is on the actual book, or from the case/scanner-bed. Awesome spine!

Cgc seems to be awarding more points for cover gloss, ink reflectivity. Deducting less points for a bk coming off the press w/ original bindery corner chips due to thickness of comic. Still think it should have been 9.2.

Holy abbreviations, Batman! I could actually read Yodin's post that time! Only two *shrtngs*!!! (Yes, I have changed your name. You should reconcile yourself with both your "Avatar-Self and "Screen Name-Self". I'll give you a moment to adjust.)

Yo MK, if you were truly brilliant like you claim, you should be able to decipher Master Odin's shorthand writing. Obviously, your competance matches that of your BB team. Sigh! frown.gif

My buddy has a GS XMen #1 with a 1/8" piece missing from spine and is a 9.2.

this book looks like an 9.0 but should have notes to the writing on cover at this high of grade. When I send more books to CGC I want the who graded this looking at my stuff. Maybe I will put a note saying reference #0012079002.

Just goes to show how inconsistently CGC rates different eras. Honestly, I sometimes think when scans go up in this forum, some people are overly critical ( no offense intended, grading is subjective) but this time I am the one who would rate this lower then the others who have graded this comic. Believe it or not, I feel this would vf 7.5. If it was the old ratings, I would have said a VF 88 but since that doesn't exist to CGC ( that is a whole other thread) I would have to lean towards the 7.5.

Tom

I guess CGC will not respond to this joke grade. Why can't they tell us why this is a 9.6?? If I owned this book and submitted it myself, would it still get a 9.6?? Come on CGC, please tell us how this gift grade was given. Stop hiding under your desks every time someone posts a scan of a gift grade book. Stand up for yourselves.

Tom,

We do not "hide" every time people post a grade they disagree with, we never "hide" from anything. Some things are worth responding to while other things are not. We would not have given you this forum if we had to respond to everything posted here, we don't have that kind of time, we are busy working. Heck, I'm here on Sunday!

The comic you are talking about was NOT submitted by Heritage ( I just had it looked up), so there goes your conspiracy theory. Also, CGC has ALWAYS stated that we take off much less for bindary chips and arrival dates written on Golden Age comics because that is the way they hit the news stand. The comic looks much darker BECAUSE of the scan. The scuff is on the holder.

I don't know how many of you on this board have seen A LOT of Edgar Church/Mile High comics but most are stunning, this one is no exception. Tight spine, beautiful full color and gloss, beautiful pages and very tight feel when held in the palm of your hand.

Hope that helps smile.gif

But remember Steve, some board members still believe that Golden age books are graded just as tightly as modern age books!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAH! THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE!!!! tongue.gif THANKS STEVE!!!!