• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay help...opinions welcomed

38 posts in this topic

Recently purchased 3 slabs from an individual on ebay. Being from Canada I often have to ask shipping prices for items from the US.

Shipping is 13$ for the first slab and 1-2$ for each additional slab purchased.

Sounds great thats a fair price.

I win 3 slabs from them. No large prices all under 35$ each.

Invoice comes.

Shipping charge is $33.

I message they say thats what price is going to be and its tough luck to me.

What do I do from here?

If he quoted that to you in advance of your purchased and you said you're in Canada then you have no obligation to pay his price. Neg him, whatever.

If that's what his auction said (without saying U.S. or canada), that's different.

Can one even ship 3 slabs to Canada for $17?

Let me get this straight, you asked BEFORE the auction ended what shipping was to Canada and he told you $13 for the 1st and $1-2 per slab after that and then he charged you double that after the auction ended?

If thats what happened, personally i would give them a neg and zero stars (thumbs u

I quoted someone $12 for a slab to Canada, figuring if it was a couple bucks more I'd happily eat the difference. It ended up being $26. I am thinking about not shipping to Canada any more. I probably will still do it, but I can't let myself take arsepoundings like that anymore.

I quoted someone $12 for a slab to Canada, figuring if it was a couple bucks more I'd happily eat the difference. It ended up being $26. I am thinking about not shipping to Canada any more. I probably will still do it, but I can't let myself take arsepoundings like that anymore.

Thats why you're an A+ seller (thumbs u

You screwed up and quoted too low but are eating a decent amount of $$$ to stick by your word and deal.

To quote someone $17 or so and then charge them $33 and tell them tough luck when they complain is low class if you ask me.

I asked him prior to the auction ending as it didn't specifically state costs for Canada, but said they would ship world wide.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=290574089592&si=C5Ru0rO5IroULiL6sOl7suToWM4%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT#ht_500wt_1156

This is one of the 3 I ended up purchasing.

Dear iceman399,

Depends where you live and the total insurance amount. Usually an additional $1 to $2 per book after the first purchase.

- davidk57

To: davidk57

Dear davidk57,

What are the combined shipping rates for a couple of slabs?

- iceman399

To: iceman399

Dear iceman399,

$13.00 shipped USPS First Class Mail International with a declared value of $15.00 marked as a gift.

- davidk57

Dear davidk57,

Shipping costs to Ontario Canada?

- iceman399

Just curious when original poster first contacted the seller were they quoting International First Class or Priority International mail costs.

You can ship 2 inexpensive slabs securely via International First Class shipping, though 3 or more slabs shipped securely probably could only be shipped Priority shipping due to package size as well as seller protection (tracking number).

Dear iceman399,

Depends where you live and the total insurance amount. Usually an additional $1 to $2 per book after the first purchase.

- davidk57

Dear davidk57,

What are the combined shipping rates for a couple of slabs?

- iceman399

To: iceman399

Dear iceman399,

$13.00 shipped USPS First Class Mail International with a declared value of $15.00 marked as a gift.

- davidk57

Dear davidk57,

Shipping costs to Ontario Canada?

- iceman399

Looks like on the original qoute he was not aware it was for a slab. Then on the second discussion, he was unaware that you were from Canada. Was this a continuing conversation, or 2 separate emails where he might not have realized he was talking on the same situation?

Just curious when original poster first contacted the seller were they quoting International First Class or Priority International mail costs.

You can ship 2 inexpensive slabs securely via International First Class shipping, though 3 or more slabs shipped securely probably could only be shipped Priority shipping due to package size as well as seller protection (tracking number).

I am not familiar with US shipping sizes or prices so I seldom request anything special unless insurance etc is required as many times if packaged properly it will arrive undamaged.

Looks like on the original qoute he was not aware it was for a slab. Then on the second discussion, he was unaware that you were from Canada. Was this a continuing conversation, or 2 separate emails where he might not have realized he was talking on the same situation?

The question was sent in on the slab so I am not sure how he would be unaware of it being a slab. And it was a reply to his reply...all the same questions going through the same initial slab he had listed.

If you want the slabs I'd offer to split the difference between what he quoted and what he's trying to charge. You're eating $2.66 more per slab but it's better than not getting them. If he disagrees neg him. Regardless of what happens you obviously won't be buying from him again.

Wow, no reason to neg the seller for a mistaken quote if he agrees to undo the sale. If you don't want to pay the 'corrected' shipping quote, ask to cancel everything. No harm, no foul.

If the seller balks at cancelling the sale, now you have to file a non-performing seller report or similar with eBay.

It's clear he gave you a poor quote. Three slabs packed properly are going to be over 4 pounds, which means you must use priority mail, and the price goes into the $30 range. Anytime you reach 4 pounds with international the cheap shipping goes away.

i had an issue like this as well. a buyer in the uk wanted to buy a daredevil slab on ebay. he sent a message asking if he could bid if he would pay for the shipping to the uk. i said yes.

thinking that he knew how much it would cost i sent him an invoice for $30 for shipping, which he went insane with, talking about how he has friends that send him slabs all the time for $12 american. i promptly sent a screen cap of the usps website to show that i was actually covering the other $8 that he wasn't paying for it since he thought i was inflating the shipping on the book.

once i pointed out that my lisiting stated i only ship priority overseas and sent him the prices, he decided to not neg me.

i told him flat out, i don't know what your friend is doing but i will never ship a slab overseas for $12.

i had an issue like this as well. a buyer in the uk wanted to buy a daredevil slab on ebay. he sent a message asking if he could bid if he would pay for the shipping to the uk. i said yes.

thinking that he knew how much it would cost i sent him an invoice for $30 for shipping, which he went insane with, talking about how he has friends that send him slabs all the time for $12 american. i promptly sent a screen cap of the usps website to show that i was actually covering the other $8 that he wasn't paying for it since he thought i was inflating the shipping on the book.

once i pointed out that my lisiting stated i only ship priority overseas and sent him the prices, he decided to not neg me.

i told him flat out, i don't know what your friend is doing but i will never ship a slab overseas for $12.

Not doubting that it costs a bunch to ship across the boarder but to tell me $33 after telling me $17 and say suck it up is a off.

I would pay it. That was a good deal on the GL\GA #1.

was the main reason I bought a couple from him was to decrease the cost of shipping per slab (like always).

Not doubting that it costs a bunch to ship across the boarder but to tell me $33 after telling me $17 and say suck it up is a off.

yes definately. i would have made up the difference in your case because it was an error on the sellers part.

in my issue, i was kind of thrown off that this guy was set on $12 to send it over there. hell, just priority in the usa is $10.95.

Wow, no reason to neg the seller for a mistaken quote if he agrees to undo the sale. If you don't want to pay the 'corrected' shipping quote, ask to cancel everything. No harm, no foul.

If the seller balks at cancelling the sale, now you have to file a non-performing seller report or similar with eBay.

It's clear he gave you a poor quote. Three slabs packed properly are going to be over 4 pounds, which means you must use priority mail, and the price goes into the $30 range. Anytime you reach 4 pounds with international the cheap shipping goes away.

I dont sell on eBay so i guess i see it differently but im all for giving him a neg (thumbs u

The buyer did everything right and asked beforehand and was given a quote for $15-17. After the auction ends, the shipping pretty much doubles and if he doesnt like it, "tough luck"??? Sure sounds like the perfect situation for a neg in my book.

I just dont get the notion that negs should only be for the absolute worst of the worst transactions. A seller trying to screw you on shipping after specifically giving you a shipping price is complete compostable_fertilizer in my book. I'm sure the guy has made plenty off of shipping in the past to cover this one "mistake".

If people threw out negs more freely to sellers maybe eBay wouldnt be such a crappy place to buy things! rantrant

Buy the books and neg his :sumo:

was the main reason I bought a couple from him was to decrease the cost of shipping per slab (like always).

This seems like a misunderstanding on your part. You took the rates from his 1st reply, where he said depends on where you live and usually, and combined that with his later reply about international shipping for a single slab.

He also has a caveat in his listing details:

"US buyers pay $10.00 for USPS Priority Insured mail delivery. Interested in more than one book? I'LL ALWAYS COMBINE SHIPPING ON ORDERS OF TWO OR MORE BOOKS, TO HELP SAVE YOU MONEY! Other countries pay for USPS First Class Mail International, Priority Mail International, Express International or Global Express Guaranteed...your preference."

So $17 X 3 = $51. Combined for $33. Saving you $18 over quoted individual rate.

Or am I misunderstanding?