• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The End is Near!

25 posts in this topic

Dang, where the heck did I put my credit card!?! confused-smiley-013.gif

You should hear them hyping the Marvel movies, comic prices skyrocketing, huge investment potential, etc.

It's insane, and when the Shopping Channel is working the speculator trends, the end ain't far behind.

the guy on the right looks like an early Kevin Bacon... confused-smiley-013.gif

who the hell are those guys?

It's the Shopping Channel television show, which you may already know, jumped on the sportscard and coin speculator bandwagons just before the meltdown.

Canucks should really tune this in and check out the HYPE!!

Wow, they've even given "Collectible Comics" their own section on the show. 27_laughing.gif

who the hell are those guys?

It's the Shopping Channel television show, which you may already know, jumped on the sportscard and coin speculator bandwagons just before the meltdown.

Canucks should really tune this in and check out the HYPE!!

Wow, they've even given "Collectible Comics" their own section on the show. 27_laughing.gif

I thought one of them was a Marvel guy...

Just TV shill.

I try to avoid the channel like the plague

Just spinning the channels during a hockey intermission, and the "These comics are an incredible investment...." comment stopped me dead in my tracks. 27_laughing.gif

Just spinning the channels during a hockey intermission, and the "These comics are an incredible investment...." comment stopped me dead in my tracks. 27_laughing.gif

What were the other comics in the set?

yep, that stuff killed the market. makepoint.gif but now marvel employees are fleecing the newbies with their autographs mad.gifconfused.gif893frustrated.gif which is considered QUALIFIED in CGC's eye. foreheadslap.gif

Hell Supa....they were selling autographed comics in the early 90s as well....

Also, no one beats Dynamic Forces' Nick Barrucci for total TV Shopping Network huckster. He's occasionally on UK QVC selling the same [!@#%^&^] and is so over the top, it's makes me embarrassed to call myself a comics collector.......

Jim

yep, that stuff killed the market. makepoint.gif but now marvel employees are fleecing the newbies with their autographs mad.gifconfused.gif893frustrated.gif which is considered QUALIFIED in CGC's eye. foreheadslap.gif

Hell Supa....they were selling autographed comics in the early 90s as well....

Also, no one beats Dynamic Forces' Nick Barrucci for total TV Shopping Network huckster. He's occasionally on UK QVC selling the same [!@#%^&^] and is so over the top, it's makes me embarrassed to call myself a comics collector.......

Jim

The DF on QVC are very entertaining. I bought a few myself because I did want some Star Wars comics signed by the movie actors, and it was a steal of a deal...

but when it comes ultra hypesters, I wondering if anyone has seen the two guys that sell sportscards? They are awesome...they can make folks allergic to carboards buy cases of cards! tongue.gif

No kidding. I check my inbox this morning, and I recieved three emails from family members all asking me for advice on some signed litho's and comics they saw on the shopping network last night. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Oh man, now they're selling 65 RANDOM BOOKS for the awe-inspiring price of $59.99.

Have the potential buyers never heard of eBay? foreheadslap.gif

They have more of an older target audience. The Geritol group.

They prefer to be called G-Bay.

When I see things like this I ask myself the same question I ask myself when I hit an Antiques Co-op - you know - on one of those large antiques buildings where many dealers pay for space. I have seen when I was in Boston the same Katzenjamer Kids comic in probably Fair going for almost $100. And I ask myself two questions: 1) WHY would someone who knows comics pay $100 for that? and 2) why would someone who has no interest in comics pay $100 for that?

Funny thing - and this be real truth - I had watched that particular comic hanging on the wall with a thumbtack through the plastic (not mylar) bag for over 5 years. It became almost an homage for me to visit that particular "stand" just to see if the book was still there.

I collected coins a lot earlier than comics and am fairly knowledgeable about them. I still watch the coin home shopping shows on ocassion just to get a feel for their continung bull. And I always see the same line. "Here we have an MS-69 2003 Silver Dollar" (the ones the US Mint are currently putting out) anbd they always say 2 things: 1) Back in 197-whatever "Silver hit $50 an ounce" - now of course they do not go into the reasons BEHIND that - and they also say "So what would an 1889 Morgan in MS-69 go for? Six figures anyway?" Of course they do NOT say that back in the 19th century people were not hoarding and slabbing high grade silver dollars.

And I ask myself - why would ANYONE who has a knowledge of coins fall for either the $50 and ounce 70's silver line or the "MS-69 19th Century Morgan" line"?

And I respond to myself - suckers and newbies would.

BUT - I honestly cannot take this particular example as "The End Is Near" - why? Because when I was living in Boston - which dates this example to 1997-1999 - the home shopping channels I got were pulling the EXACT SAME THING as you cite with the comic books - and from 1997 - 1999 those shopping channels did not really impact the market. Why? Because the real money is, overall, in the hands of people who not only have a clue, but would not see a modern day 2004 type item at a couple of hundred as any kind of a deal.

This has been going in comic books since the early 90's, even with them dragging original artists etc into the fold and having them on TV. No real impact to the overall comic book market has been seen, at least by me.

::typo edits::