• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If I were to register for the awards...would I even be considered?

47 posts in this topic

I would think though, that if you don't have any of the covers showing in your set..... you won't win anything :popcorn:

Again, not so. For example, of the three Golden Age winners last year, only one set had any pictures at all. In the Silver Age category, there was a total of two pictures between the three sets. One didn't begin to see any pictures in earnest until they reached the Bronze and Modern Age sets.

I believe the comment "pictures of most" was one of the reasons the golden age set you mentioned won.

Your set was the one I was referring to and out of 65 books registered, you have nineteen pictures. The other two have none.

Its not much fun to put some guys registry set on "SLIDESHOW" and set back to experience the fruits of their labors and the beauty of their collection..... and you get no pictures :sumo:

I just noticed the date and time countdown on the registry page. Do I need to actually fill out some kind of form to have my set considered or because it exists, is it already enrolled in the competition ?

]I just noticed the date and time countdown on the registry page. Do I need to actually fill out some kind of form to have my set considered or[/s] because it exists, it is already enrolled in the competition

If you have a set, you're already in no matter what. Only 1st place sets win awards :( That, or you can win best GA, SA, BA, CA or MA set in the Registry, or Best Presented, or Best Overall Achievement in Comic Collecting.
I'm not sure what you mean by saying only 1st place sets win awards.

They only send out certificates to those who place #1 in an individual set. At least, that was my understanding. :foryou:

You are correct. However, you don't need to have a top ranking set to win one of the awards for best GA, SA ect...

You actually do.

If your set isn't #1 in its category, there's zero chance of it winning a "best in era" award - which, when you think about it, makes perfect sense; how can your set be the best of an era if it isn't even the top ranked set in its own individual category?

Not so. Colmoreman won Best Modern Age Set in 2007 with his Bronze Age X-Men #94-#143 set in the number three position.

I stand corrected. I still believe that makes no sense, though :shrug:

If you have a set, you're already in no matter what. Only 1st place sets win awards :( That, or you can win best GA, SA, BA, CA or MA set in the Registry, or Best Presented, or Best Overall Achievement in Comic Collecting.

They only send out certificates to those who place #1 in an individual set. At least, that was my understanding. :foryou:

You are correct. However, you don't need to have a top ranking set to win one of the awards for best GA, SA ect...

You actually do.

If your set isn't #1 in its category, there's zero chance of it winning a "best in era" award - which, when you think about it, makes perfect sense; how can your set be the best of an era if it isn't even the top ranked set in its own individual category?

Not so. Colmoreman won Best Modern Age Set in 2007 with his Bronze Age X-Men #94-#143 set in the number three position.

The only way I see it is that it's possible across some sets for one book to take top spot as opposed to a set with tens or hundreds of books in it. One book doesn't really represent a set as such, and while it's possible it may have taken an age to save for (or maybe not) it's not exactly 'building' a set is it?

You actually do.

The only way I see it is that it's possible across some sets for one book to take top spot as opposed to a set with tens or hundreds of books in it. One book doesn't really represent a set as such, and while it's possible it may have taken an age to save for (or maybe not) it's not exactly 'building' a set is it?

True - good point, gav.

The other thing to remember is that the third spot most likely represented a complete set - complete in number and complete with pics and descriptions. Whereas the #1 and #2 sets may have had 9.8 XM 94s and the difference in value of that book (or 101 or whatever) may have been the only thing keeping them at 1 and 2.

I guess the easiest way to put it would be this - which set is more worthy of being recognized - A 'Tec set with a 9.4 'Tec 27 or one with 1-100 in 6.0 with pics and descriptions. I think arguments can be made for either, but it would not be illogical for the latter to win an award.

The other thing to remember is that the third spot most likely represented a complete set - complete in number and complete with pics and descriptions. Whereas the #1 and #2 sets may have had 9.8 XM 94s and the difference in value of that book (or 101 or whatever) may have been the only thing keeping them at 1 and 2.

Not so in the example I quoted.

I think that a few years ago, the number of folks with scans for books was pretty low so not having them wasn't a big deal and having a complete set was pretty important. Now, though, there are lots of very complete sets so the number of scans you have may be more important than it used to be.

I guess the easiest way to put it would be this - which set is more worthy of being recognized - A 'Tec set with a 9.4 'Tec 27 or one with 1-100 in 6.0 with pics and descriptions. I think arguments can be made for either, but it would not be illogical for the latter to win an award.

The best way to put it is that CGC decides which sets win based on their employees likes and dislikes pertaining to each set and/or set builder.

• Administrator

The best way to put it is that CGC decides which sets win based on their employees likes and dislikes pertaining to each set and/or set builder.

Or you could say that it is a human process with opinions, feelings and occasionally even errors.... But another factor to consider would be if the top sets have not been edited in years or that the owner is a high-profile dealer who may have more access to high-grade comics than an individual collector.

Doc's just still sore...despite my efforts to ease his sadness, it's still there. :foryou:

Or you could say that it is a human process with opinions, feelings and occasionally even errors.... But another factor to consider would be if the top sets have not been edited in years or that the owner is a high-profile dealer who may have more access to high-grade comics than an individual collector.

Doc's just still sore...despite my efforts to ease his sadness, it's still there. :foryou:

I'm not sore. We basically said the same thing. I just boiled my post down to the nuggets while yours is full of... sugar and spice, and everything nice. :baiting:

You, Mrs. Adel, are one of the best things CGC has going for it. :foryou:

• Administrator

I'm not sore. We basically said the same thing. I just boiled my post down to the nuggets while yours is full of... sugar and spice, and everything nice. :baiting:

nuggets.... :cloud9:

_MG_2201.jpg

]I just noticed the date and time countdown on the registry page. Do I need to actually fill out some kind of form to have my set considered or[/s] because it exists, it is already enrolled in the competition

Thx moon

nuggets.... :cloud9:

_MG_2201.jpg

lol

OK, to me... pictures, help to show a certain passion for a title you collect. Scans are great(they seem to have become somewhat customary lately though), but it's nothing like an eyepopping pic that can be enlarged for your viewing audience.

DSC04019Large.jpg

A description is great, and what I have learned is you must put it into your own words(which I have this year). I admit I have seen people copy the labels and win, but I always was aiming to make the Registry a learning tool with at least the title I collect. So, I add print runs and release dates.

I work on my set alot with pics, to the point where no description I could write could compare to a well centered shot I include. But, everything is "key" to picque your reader into your series.

I think I look at my registry books like a cartoon that needs a caption. Theres no need to tell any of the info thats on the label again, so I don't go that way. Plus I have pictures of 100% of the books logged so theres no reason to described the cover. Just tryin to have a little fun with it :popcorn:

You actually do.

i got 2 awards last year i forget excatly why but i know 1 was for omega men set......i only have omega men 3 (or whatever the 1st lobo was) it's the only book in the set and yet still won

lol idc about the regestry per say, but it's still fun so i add my books to it

no pic's even though i have a scan of each book, and the only things with discreptions is yellow label's (signed by x) or signed green label's, but if i bought a book that was on there and the person had a discription that got carried over to mine i don't delete it either

You actually do.

i got 2 awards last year i forget excatly why but i know 1 was for omega men set......i only have omega men 3 (or whatever the 1st lobo was) it's the only book in the set and yet still won

What you received was a "Best In Set Type" award which goes to the person holding the #1 spot in any given set. This happens automatically, and it doesn't matter how many books you have in your set (as long as it's at least 1).