• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

buying eBay vs. small convention

10 posts in this topic

I'll be attending a small, one-day comic convention in my city later this month ... it draws a couple dozen dealers ... and I've got several hundred dollars to spend. I've been out of buying since late last year and in checking it seems eBay prices are in a trough at the moment.

I'm looking to buy VG or better 12-cent Marvels, including some Tales of Suspense and Strange Tales mainly. My question is: Do you think the better deals right now are at a small convention or on eBay?

I'd rather buy at a small con than on eBay. You get to see the book up close. And, VG covers such a wide range, your VG and eBay seller X's VG's might be alot different.

You may save a few bucks doing it on eBay, but factor in shipping, and it's pretty close. Plus, convention buying is much more fun than eBay buying, IMO.

That's where I'm leaning, too. Making a day of it with a friend and his son and, frankly, that's what I've been saving my money for. We only have two cons a year here in the Twin Cities and I can buy eBay anytime ... besides, I like supporting dealers who bring their stuff for people to eye and buy.

I'd rather buy at a small con than on eBay. You get to see the book up close. And, VG covers such a wide range, your VG and eBay seller X's VG's might be alot different.

You may save a few bucks doing it on eBay, but factor in shipping, and it's pretty close. Plus, convention buying is much more fun than eBay buying, IMO.

What he said. thumbsup2.gif

At a convention you never know what you might find. Be nice, and ask a dealer for a bargain on a book or a whole box of books. You might be surprised what they agree to. Sometimes at a small convention or a small one day show inside a mall you might find dealers more interested in selling cards and action figures than comic books. They might have brought along a few boxes of comics as an afterthought. Never hurts to ask for what you want. smile.gif

We only have two cons a year here in the Twin Cities

If you mean the Twin Cities of St. Paul and Minneapolis (I'm not sure if there are any others), there are at least 4 shows a year and often 5 or 6. If you contact Joel at Nostalgia Zone he can give you the dates of his shows.

John Hauser typically comes to all the Twin Cities shows and is a great source for reasonably priced mid-grade SA Marvels (and lots of other stuff, too).

Hope this is helpful smile.gif

I haven't been to a convention, large or small, in years. They drive me crazy. You know how when you're in the mood to rent a movie, but the second you get to Blockbuster you can't think of anything? That's basically my every convention experience.

The only way it works for me is if I go in with a specific list of what to buy, buy, then leave. What fun is that? It's like going shopping at the mall, and a mall full of fanboys and hostile vendors at that.

I love the con experience... it's part of what makes the hobby fun for me. Plus, I find that after shipping, hassles with over grading, the scan hiding certain defects etc., etc., if you're buying low/mid grade books, the small show is the spot. There are many deals to be unearthed in the room, probably because most of the guys are weekend warriors. Thus, they aren't all that interested always in maximizing their dollar, just trying to get something reasonable for the book. Most of them are looking to move inventory. The small shows can be great, and I certainly would go that way over ebay for that kind of book.

Thanks for all the help! I'm really looking forward to the convention -- getting a want list and prices on a sheet of paper and whatnot. You've all been helpful and I will ask about show dates next time I'm at Nostalgia Zone ... or at the convention.

I only know of this Microcon and FallCon ... maybe there's mall shows or something I'm missing.

Anyway, I really appreciate the tips. Thanks again.

We have a con coming up tomorrow. What I enjoy the most from the con experience is the instant gratification, the dealing back and forth and lastly you get to see so many nice books all in one place ! It's always nice to take a stack home, something you have to wait for when buying from E-Bay. grin.gif