• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Magazines do not always lie flat in CGC holders...

10 posts in this topic

Being a collector of high-grade comic magazines (especially horror titles), I have purchased several nice CGC graded issues. However, I have noticed that the magazines do not always lay flat in the inner well of the holder. It looks in some cases as if the mags are under some stress, and sometimes there is a curve in the spine of squarebound books. Has anyone else noticed this? Does anyone else worry about this, and does anyone know if there is any long-term effect this may have on a book? I'd appreciate any views on this.

Being a collector of high-grade comic magazines (especially horror titles), I have purchased several nice CGC graded issues. However, I have noticed that the magazines do not always lay flat in the inner well of the holder. It looks in some cases as if the mags are under some stress, and sometimes there is a curve in the spine of squarebound books. Has anyone else noticed this? Does anyone else worry about this, and does anyone know if there is any long-term effect this may have on a book? I'd appreciate any views on this.

Yes, I've noticed it and it happens with comics as well. I liberated one of my books from the case where I thought it was severe enough, and yes, over time it will affect the book. Not that it couldn't be (made flat again)...

One solution I've put out for consideration is the use of a mylar-ish, clear backing board which I've seen used, but have not been able to figure out if they're commercially available.

Thanks for replying. If books could be affected long term, what is CGC doing about this timebomb? When you say you put out a solution for consideration, whose consideration are you referring to - board members or CGC themselves? Sounds like something maybe should be done? Am I being paranoid? confused-smiley-013.gif These books are expensive!

When you say you put out a solution for consideration, whose consideration are you referring to - board members or CGC themselves?

I mentioned it here for whoever was "listening" at the time, which I'm sure included CGC employees. Unfortunately, it's really more of a theoretical solution than a practical one... confused-smiley-013.gif

That sounds to me like a soild Quality Control (QC) case; I'd contact CGC and speak to Scott about it. Books should not leave the CGC offices that way, but in fairness to CGC's QC efforts, its hard to determine how much of the shifting actually occurs within the inner-well during transit. confused-smiley-013.gif

Yes, I've noticed it and it happens with comics as well. I liberated one of my books from the case where I thought it was severe enough, and yes, over time it will affect the book. Not that it couldn't be (made flat again)...

Do you mean restored to its original condition?

893naughty-thumb.gif

I meant that it could be returned to its original condition.

You can send it (them) back in and if we feel it is severe problem, we will re-holder it for free.

That sounds to me like a soild Quality Control (QC) case; I'd contact CGC and speak to Scott about it. Books should not leave the CGC offices that way, but in fairness to CGC's QC efforts, its hard to determine how much of the shifting actually occurs within the inner-well during transit.

The thing is, this does not look like something that has happened in transit, more like the inner well is too long for the case and has to be bent to fit - the edge of the well is clearly curved around and would not fit in if straight. I would like to know if CGC (thanks for the response, by the way), as part of its QC policy, actually checks if books are perfectly flat in a holder? This is not an isolated case I am talking about. Also are inner wells always perfectly flat to begin with?

Do you mean restored to its original condition?

893naughty-thumb.gif

I meant that it could be returned to its original condition.

27_laughing.gif Oh yes. Of course. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif