• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spiderman 49 cover in upcoming Heritage Auction

69 posts in this topic

I already have my example
Having seen it in the Montclair exhibit I would say that I much prefer it over this battle scene, though I suspect I would be in the minority in that regard. Yours is much more understated and affecting.

Having seen it in the Montclair exhibit I would say that I much prefer it over this battle scene, though I suspect I would be in the minority in that regard. Yours is much more understated and affecting.

"Understated and affecting" tend not to be very high on the average OA collectors' priority list of criteria.

But of the 24, how many are really good?

I like 39, 43, 46, 49, 50, 51, 52, 54, 59, and 60. And that's only 10.

Although, I'm willing to admit that opinions may vary.

Personally, I think the cover to 48 is much more dynamic and powerful image than 49, but as you say, it's all subjective.

My top Romita twice up covers...39, 40, 44, 46, 47, 48, 50, 51, 52, 54, 60

"Understated and affecting" tend not to be very high on the average OA collectors' priority list of criteria.

That's very true in the current OA market but in the long term I think pieces that are evocative on their own as a piece of art, whether or not you are/were a fan may end up being highly regarded. Such as the cover to ASM 50. Or, as somebody mentioned, even the especially good panel pages with Gwen, MJ etc because they evoke Romita's mostly unmatched skills at dovetailing action and soap. But one person summed it up pretty well by ticking off the selling points -- early example, twice-up size, battle scene with two villains, etc. All of those sound good even if you haven't seen the art.

Thanks. Obviously I agree, or I'd be trying to "upgrade". The one I own, the #75 cover, while not twice-up, is one of my top 5 Romita covers of all-time. It does indeed evoke the drama that was Spidey at that time.

Thanks. Obviously I agree, or I'd be trying to "upgrade". The one I own, the #75 cover, while not twice-up, is one of my top 5 Romita covers of all-time. It does indeed evoke the drama that was Spidey at that time.

Spiderman 75 is one of the best covers in the entire run in my opinion (worship)

Spiderman 75 is one of the best covers in the entire run in my opinion (worship)

It's not a cover I particularly liked on the published comic but the b&w original art is superb!

It's not a cover I particularly liked on the published comic but the b&w original art is superb!

Agreed. The B&W looks MUCH better. Tons of detail in the background. At any rate, Romita covers are a real pinnacle of the hobby, so again congrats to whoever lands this cover.

But you can't even see his face! :)

(Just trying to point out how ludicrous that criterion can be--Spider-Man 75 is a great cover)

Mike

(Just trying to point out how ludicrous that criterion can be--Spider-Man 75 is a great cover)

Mike

Even more ludicrous when you consider that he always wears a mask! We ain't seein' his face in ANY of the covers :)

Hari

Mike

Even more ludicrous when you consider that he always wears a mask! We ain't seein' his face in ANY of the covers :)

Hari

Ha! Great point, Hari. I was just flashing back to some of the criticism of the Ditko Spider-Man 35 splash (amongst other originals). I thought not being able to see Spider-Man's entire face, er, mask, sort of missed the point of that acrobatic pose/balanced composition. Just like it would be missing the point of your cover.

Mike

Mike

Hari

:ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez:

COMIC20amazing20spiderman2039-1.jpg