• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fights with your wives or significant others over comics?

100 posts in this topic

I have been married for 17 years,and have never had an argument over comics.Like some have said she knew what she was getting into from the beginning.It's just a matter of training I mean making her a part of your hobby,now when she goes to a Con she picks out better grade raw books than I do. (thumbs u

I found the trick to collecting is to "brainwash" her into collecting too. I was lucky, my ex-girlfriend's ("sexyghoul" on here) favorite movie was The Crow. She didn't know it was a graphic novel before and had to collect them. Then you can introduce CGC into the equation and then you got your signifigant other building a comic collection herself and out of your hair. No arguments, due to the understanding of the hobby.

I actually tell my sister and female friends to be wary of guys who are predisposed to collecting things, just as I would tell them to watch out for guys who like to drink a little too much, or gamble, or play World of Warcraft. And I'm 100% sincere when I say it.

Collecting can be healthy, but few have a true handle on it. I think it was healthier pre-internet; now it's simply too easy to indulge, and a harmless pass time can easily devolve into spending a disproportionate amount of time and money. Being able to sell only exacerbates this.

I actually tell my sister and female friends to be wary of guys who are predisposed to collecting things, just as I would tell them to watch out for guys who like to drink a little too much, or gamble, or play World of Warcraft. And I'm 100% sincere when I say it.

Collecting can be healthy, but few have a true handle on it. I think it was healthier pre-internet; now it's simply too easy to indulge, and a harmless pass time can easily devolve into spending a disproportionate amount of time and money. Being able to sell only exacerbates this.

Says the guy with over 10,000 posts! :baiting:

I have been married for 17 years,and have never had an argument over comics.Like some have said she knew what she was getting into from the beginning.It's just a matter of training I mean making her a part of your hobby,now when she goes to a Con she picks out better grade raw books than I do. (thumbs u
lol

Over 9 years. And I own 2 comics. :acclaim:

Yes but they're a gateway drug. It always starts with two, then before you know it, you're fat, lazy, angry and bitter, living in Mom's basement on a steady diet of Hostess and Fresca.

What are the two books?

Yes but they're a gateway drug. It always starts with two, then before you know it, you're fat, lazy, angry and bitter, living in Mom's basement on a steady diet of Hostess and Fresca.

What are the two books?

A beat-up Spidey 34 and a beat-up Spidey 40. I only own them because they were my first ever vintage back-issue purchases.

It's the other way around. I did have a nice little high grade collection, but collecting on that level stopped making sense to me after the Ewert scandal broke, and I got the full picture on pressing.

What are the two books?

A beat-up Spidey 34 and a beat-up Spidey 40. I only own them because they were my first ever vintage back-issue purchases.

It's the other way around. I did have a nice little high grade collection, but collecting on that level stopped making sense to me after the Ewert scandal broke, and I got the full picture on pressing.

Re-post the pic of the girl with the Hulk 181. :grin:

As sad as it sounds, I'm still living vicariously thru you.

Too often, it's not about the money, but envy over more intangible things, like time (attention), space and, even worse, the fact that their husband's have something in their lives that make them happy, and they don't (or can't) find an equivalent. I'd say the blame is 50/50, and it would be equally tragic to give up something you love because your spouse has issues.

I find it odd that you call it envy. If we're not giving our wives the attention they deserve, then why are we getting married in the first place? If your wife found attention elsewhere, say, from another man, wouldn't you be envious or enraged by it?

So many times the things we call hobbies become obsessions. Its one thing to buy comics here or there, its something totally different when you spend the majority of your free time engrossed in collecting.

A) I said sometimes. Other times a collection or hobby can interfere w/ a relationship.

B) This situation is not one of my problems.

C) W/out going too far into my past career, there's a school of psychoanalytic thought that differentiated jealousy from envy by explaining envy as something along the lines of "I wish I had what you have (in this case not necessarily comics books, but the ability to be interested in something and be happy), I don't, so I'm going to destroy it for you". I've seen this too many times with friends of mine and fellow collectors, and the end result is ruined hobbies and even destroyed friendships.

There's also the really primitive aspect of someone forcing a spouse to get rid of a hobby because they want to prove that they mean more than the hobby. Pretty lame.

Sometimes wives are just wrong.

+1

I have established a Spock/Sheldon Cooper persona that allows me to dismiss unreasonable demands without even a shrug.

The easiest way to do this is to establish (early on) that not even my mother

can elicit an emotional response from me when she is being unreasonable.

As a result, I am free to ignore all comments that I deem unreasonable.

The only downside is that I'm sometimes cast as an "unfeeling / unemotional" villain,

but if people are unreasonable... then I honestly don't care.

14 years next week. (thumbs u

Bet it flew by for her. :eek:

:devil:

If it's causing real arguments...it's time to stop. (thumbs u

Agree with that. (thumbs u

or she needs a hobby other than just b*tching. :whistle:

Agreed! If a comic book collection is all a woman has to argue about in your relationship,she has deeper psychological problems than she knows. meh

If it's causing real arguments...it's time to stop. (thumbs u

Agree with that. (thumbs u

..the collecting, or the marriage?