• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Matt Stanley is back

62 posts in this topic

I've heard rumors of where people can come to their location and look for upgrade candidates. :eek:

That is a myth. Phantom pressers, I tell you. Phantom pressers.

:whistle:

I've heard rumors of where people can come to their location and look for upgrade candidates. :eek:

No rumor - within six months at least 11 issues from my Journey Into Mystery run had been cracked, re-encapsulated and re-sold, 10 of them at higher grades.

I'm not even sure why to do it one way for auctions and another for regular consignments now that I think about it. hm(shrug) Pedigree and ComicConnect handle regular listings and auctions the same way, whereas ComicLink handles regular listings and auction listings differently. Why?

If a book doesn't sell via regular listing or an auction with a reserve (which Pedigree auctions often have), there's no good reason to ship it.

All,

I have a had a few PM's on this so here are the details as it regards to Matt. He reached out to explain he had given the book to his front desk person who according to Matt, never got the package to the USPS. As I was at the Philly con, this resulted in numerous e-mails and phone calls to Matt. According to Matt, the book he was sending me was in USPS limbo so the only way he could make me right was to overnight my books back to me, which he did. As far as this deal went, while it was a huge hassle, I have been made whole. Clearly, I am not commenting on or condoning any past deals as it regards to Matt as other than the one I mentioned earlier in the thread (which went fine), I've had no other dealings. Greg

I'm not even sure why to do it one way for auctions and another for regular consignments now that I think about it. hm(shrug) Pedigree and ComicConnect handle regular listings and auctions the same way, whereas ComicLink handles regular listings and auction listings differently. Why?

If a book doesn't sell via regular listing or an auction with a reserve (which Pedigree auctions often have), there's no good reason to ship it.

Yea that occurred to me, which is why I wonder why ComicLink requires the books for auctions.

Yea that occurred to me, which is why I wonder why ComicLink requires the books for auctions.

Except for the occasional big book, C-Link auctions rarely have reserves. If it's in the auction, the book usually gets a new owner.

All,

I have a had a few PM's on this so here are the details as it regards to Matt. He reached out to explain he had given the book to his front desk person who according to Matt, never got the package to the USPS. As I was at the Philly con, this resulted in numerous e-mails and phone calls to Matt. According to Matt, the book he was sending me was in USPS limbo so the only way he could make me right was to overnight my books back to me, which he did. As far as this deal went, while it was a huge hassle, I have been made whole. Clearly, I am not commenting on or condoning any past deals as it regards to Matt as other than the one I mentioned earlier in the thread (which went fine), I've had no other dealings. Greg

So you would do business with him again?

Except for the occasional big book, C-Link auctions rarely have reserves. If it's in the auction, the book usually gets a new owner.

Guessing one of the reasons to have different ways to handle auctions and listings is the fact that if a book sells for way less than the seller had wished at auction, clink is protected from the seller not sending the book. In a listing, seller has agreed to the price, so the chance of this happening is less likely.

The regular listings can take months to sell, or might list for years without moving - most sellers wouldn't list comics if they had to send them in and let them sit at the Link potentially for extended periods of time, with no opportunity to try to sell them using other venues.

My experience with Matt Stanley:

0 Feedback bidder on eBay puts in strong offers on several of my books. I accept two strong bids. Bidder then goes on to communicate with me by phone and email and asks for more books, including several which I "sell" to him on consignment. We now have a 5 figure stack. He sounds knowledgeable and reasonable enough that my spider-sense is not tingling.

A few days ago, by phone, the seller finally gives me his full name.

I respond by telling him what I have heard about him, explains the theft of his previous collection, the headache it caused him and he assures me he is on the up and up and offers to pay 1/2 by Paypal and 1/2 by bank wire.

I tell him I will think about it. to me breaking up the deal like that offers me little to no protection through Paypal and even if payment is made correctly through Paypal, if it is funded by a credit card it can be reversed. Credit card companies tend to file in favour of the buyer the majority of the time even if you have proof of delivery.

I reply the next day with an email that explains that based on the circumstances, I would be willing to take the entire amount by bank wire and would overnight the books out to him as soon as the wire is received.

He replies that it's not a problem and that he will transfer Paypal funds to his bank account to forward Payment.

I reply that I would like full Payment by yesterday (Thursday) since that would have been ample time to transfer Paypal funds to bank account (I did the same on Sunday night/early Monday morning and despite the July 4th weekend, my transfer arrived Wednesday morning).

Buyer replies via email and is offended at my proposed deadline but still wants to work something out. I am apologetic in that I want this to be handled as securely as possible for both our best interests and am being as straightforward and transparent as I possibly can be.

Buyer is unresponsive after that and all books have been put back on the market.

What I found strange before I found out who it was, was the multiple email addresses from Mobile Me. I received emails from 3 separate addresses.

I've also heard that he has tied up books elsewhere. I tied up a very large portion of my inventory for 2 weeks. I also have some explaining to do to a consignor who was under the impression that his book was sold.

I'd love to deal with someone spending large 5 figures but there are just too many grey areas here for me to feel secure and the lack of communication shows me where we are at.

Technically, the only wrong here was that he backed out of a deal. Nothing was stolen.

I'll leave you to make up your own minds on the matter.

(thumbs u

Here's hoping that anyone who deals with this guy knowing his history gets the high hard one right up their poop shoot. (thumbs u

Seriously. If he mailed me a box of cash I would be skeptical. He's gotten one over on dealers that I'm sure are difficult to scam.

And Roy, is there ever going to be a post that relates to business that you're not going to work in the 'I sell four and five figure books' angle?

Just curious... :/

Wow, amazing that out of that whole body of text that is what you choose to comment on.

I wasn't trying to do anything other than simply to show what sort of level this guy operates at. He's not small fry.

Take from my post whatever you will, positive or negative. That's your choice.

(thumbs u

And Roy, is there ever going to be a post that relates to business that you're not going to work in the 'I sell four and five figure books' angle?

Wow, amazing that out of that whole body of text that is what you choose to comment on.

I wasn't trying to do anything other than simply to show what sort of level this guy operates at. He's not small fry.

(thumbs u

No, it's your choice to mention the scale of your deals at the drop of a hat.

Which you have been doing.

Your mess, not mine. (thumbs u

(thumbs u

No, it's your choice to mention the scale of your deals at the drop of a hat.

Which you have been doing.

Your mess, not mine. (thumbs u

You know, I'm sorry if that offends you.

It wasn't at all my intention to add any focus to that part of the post.

Not much more I can say than that.

And I meant this in a nice way (both in my last post and now) ------> (thumbs u